PDA

View Full Version : Custom NPC not showing ATK in CT

Tooting Dog
May 3rd, 2023, 00:36
I created a new custom NPC and dragged the spells in and things look good. The CT picks up spell save DC. However, it is not picking up spell attacks and shows a +0 when it should be a +5 and should be based on Charisma. It is somehow picking up the spell DC is based on charisma and that shows correctly. How do I remedy this?

Tooting Dog
May 3rd, 2023, 00:45
Nevermind. I figured it out. Wouldn't you know right after I posted this.

You have to put "+6 to hit" in parentheses. (+6 to hit)

I still don't know how it knew to use Char for the spell save DC though.

damned
May 3rd, 2023, 00:46
I created a new custom NPC and dragged the spells in and things look good. The CT picks up spell save DC. However, it is not picking up spell attacks and shows a +0 when it should be a +5 and should be based on Charisma. It is somehow picking up the spell DC is based on charisma and that shows correctly. How do I remedy this?

You do really need to provide some more info - ruleset at a minimum.
If you can also export the NPC xml that could help.

Tooting Dog
May 3rd, 2023, 00:53
5e.

I figured out the spell attack. How do I make sure the CT picks up the correct spell save DC? The CT has it correct for three spells but one other has an incorrect DC.

Tooting Dog
May 3rd, 2023, 01:18
Sorry for all the messages. I think I am figuring it out, though.

I am attempting to create an NPC version of a warlock. The tricky thing here is that warlocks all upcast their spells: that is, all their spells are cast at, say, 3rd level. So I am dragging the spells into the NPC sheet and manually changing the damage in that text field to what it should be. But I just realized that something, FGU or an extension, is adding the spell again into the text description of the field and I am not able to edit that portion. So, let's say I edit in my spell field that Toll the Dead does 2d8 damage, FGU is importing the spell text again which I cannot change and it is showing 1d8 damage. It is this uneditable section that gets picked up in the CT. I'll check to see if this is some extension doing this.

LordEntrails
May 3rd, 2023, 02:49
You'll find this part; 5E Effects for Advanced Automation - Fantasy Grounds Customer Portal - Confluence (atlassian.net) (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996642031/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation#Spellcasting)
And everything else on that page very helpful.

Tooting Dog
May 3rd, 2023, 03:03
Mr Entrails,

I appreciate the reply but I think you are missing my point and I am probably not explaining the situation well.

I add the spell to the NPC sheet. It is populated correctly. Since this is an NPC and not a character that levels, I edit the text so that it only includes the damage needed. Say the NPC is akin to a fifth level warlock, the damage of witch bolt increases.

However, something is adding the spell again to the NPC sheet and I am unable to edit it. And the CT is using the information from this added text which I cannot edit and so the CT is now cluttered with text about if witch bolt is such-and-such level do x-damage, of such-and-such level do z-damage, etc.

See the image. The blue circle is my edit to the spell. The red circle is the spell being added again and I cannot edit it and so the CT shows the figure in the red circle instead. Why is it doubling the spell text/info and the second spell tex/info unable to be edited?

Tooting Dog
May 3rd, 2023, 03:21
I think I found it! The Equipped Effects extension is adding the spell again. Unfortunately, it adds the spell to the NPC sheet in a way that you cannot edit it and the CT picks up on this uneditible version. I think I have it all figured out. Thanks for putting up with me!

Tooting Dog
May 3rd, 2023, 04:48
Still one problem. The CT is auto-populating saves for spells but not for innate/cantrip spells. See image.

Tooting Dog
May 3rd, 2023, 05:03
Well, don't I have complete egg on my face. You can delete this thread! It took me time to compare things in FGU for syntax and such. Anyhow, I have to create an innate spellcasting trait for saves. Spellcasting doesn't cover it. Got it! I'll go for an Intel boost when I next level up! Thanks!

Zacchaeus
May 3rd, 2023, 09:59
Spellcasting will in fact handle saving throws and spell attacks provided that you add the spellcasting as a trait (rather than as an action). From the wiki page here (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996641934/5E+NPCs+and+Encounters#Overriding-automatic-calculations) you can create a spellcasting trait and override the automatic calculation of spell attack and save DC by inserting the following (+x to hit with spell attacks, Spell save DC x). If you create the spellcasting as an action then include only spells with a save DC and include the words (Spell save DC x). Any attack spells should be included as separate actions.

This only works properly if the spells are included in a spellcasting or innate spellcasting trait since that is evaluated when the NPC is put onto the CT. If the override isn't present then FGU will calculate the correct spell save DC and attack based on the NPCs level and spellcasting ability bonus. You only need the over ride if the caster has any kind of bonus to their attack and spell save DCs (like a magic staff or some such).

If you drag spells in then any spellcasting trait will be ignored. The spells that you drag in will have the correct Spell attack and save DCs based on the NPCs level and ability bonus. If you want a different save or attack then you'll have to manually change the wording in the actual spell text.

Warlocks are tricky of course because they always cast at maximum level. The easiest way to handle this is to have a spellcasting or innate spellcasting trait as normal, but when applying damage do so via drag and drop (click and hold on the damage; right click to add more dice and then drop on the target).

Tooting Dog
May 3rd, 2023, 14:37
Zach,

Thanks for the reply. The main problem was that the equipped effects extension I mentioned earlier was double-copying the spell into the NPC sheet and that copy was uneditable. The CT was using the uneditable section and so no matter what I was changing in the spell it was moot in regards to the CT. Once I figured that out, I started having brain farts which snowballed. I had seen your video on the subject of NPC sheets and magic at one time (all your videos, actually) and did have somewhat of an understanding that just got lost to me for a bit. I posted an image of how that extension was adding a second version of the spell text, and like I stated, that started all the confusion.

For the max damage, I just went in and changed the spell text damage. I also deleted all the text about if at such-and-such a level it increases to whatever amount because, as an NPC, it never increases in level. Thus why it was so important that the CT recognize my edited text and not the doubled spell text previously stated which started this whole thing off. In fact, I'll add that image again. You can see the editible portion of the spell with the edited damage and then you can see the uneditible section below with the original damage which the CT would pick up on. THIS was the main problem and everything after that were brain farts.

Thanks!