PDA

View Full Version : How do I add more books?

SweetActionPoo
January 15th, 2008, 04:13
I want to add more books, D&D 3.5 books, to the Library on my computer? Like regular items list, etc..

jthm0138
January 15th, 2008, 04:28
I have been trying to do this for about a month now... Its not very easy to do. Your XML code has to be flawless or FG will not even show it as available.

SweetActionPoo
January 15th, 2008, 04:31
What? What? Why?

jthm0138
January 15th, 2008, 04:38
I have no idea why... all I know is that it is a pain in the (hind end). And seeing as the modules that I am trying to make are not OGL, I have the feeling noone here is going to help me figure it out (even tho I have no intentions of "distributing" said modules to the general public.)

SweetActionPoo
January 15th, 2008, 04:38
What is XML Code? And how does this pertain to the books?

jthm0138
January 15th, 2008, 04:41
The Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a general-purpose markup language. It is classified as an extensible language because it allows its users to define their own elements.

And it pertains to the books in the library because XML is the format used by Fantasy Grounds to store said information.

SweetActionPoo
January 15th, 2008, 04:50
How do I go about doing this?

Malovech
January 15th, 2008, 04:56
How do I go about doing this?

First off if you are just trying to add WOTC 3.5 stuff, Digital Adventures has the complete SRD for sale with a whole wack of stuff in it.

https://www.digitaladventures.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=76

Valarian
January 15th, 2008, 09:30
I have no idea why... all I know is that it is a pain in the (hind end). And seeing as the modules that I am trying to make are not OGL, I have the feeling noone here is going to help me figure it out (even tho I have no intentions of "distributing" said modules to the general public.)
What is it that you're trying to do? Send me a PM and I'll give you some XML guidance if I can. We'll see if we can get a blank structure template for you to fill in with the non-OGL details.

The important thing to remember is that XML is just text. It's text in a particular format, but just text. There's nothing especially scary or intimidating about it. Think of it as writing for a particularly picky editor, who wants perfect spelling and grammar.

Doswelk
January 15th, 2008, 10:34
I have been trying to do this for about a month now... Its not very easy to do. Your XML code has to be flawless or FG will not even show it as available.

If you are not already I recommend doing your xml coding in Notepad++ it is free and supports folding which is a godsend when I am creating modules!

Even better there is a xml plugin available which will automatically add the closing attribute (or whatever they are called!) for you

e.g. Type <p> and </p> is added automatically.

Also it has an option to validate your xml and auto format it as well.

My FGII modules would have taken much longer without it...

jthm0138
January 15th, 2008, 15:16
I'm using Dreamweaver for editing the XML files.
I guess all I was trying to say is that it is a little on the difficult side. Its not quite as easy as the copy paste I was hoping it would be.

Griogre
January 15th, 2008, 20:56
No it's not just a copy and paste, and while its not hard - it can be time consuming. Frankly I won't do it anymore unless, as a minimum, I think I am going to use the data, timewise, more than it takes to type in. I have found it not worth doing other than monster entries, which take me about the same time to add to a library book as it does to a new personality, YMMV.

A lot of stuff I will just cut and paste in a storybook entry now and forget it.