PDA

View Full Version : greetings.. new with a question

jikito
January 13th, 2008, 20:53
Hi, I am new to fantasy grounds and messing with making a server side character sheet.
my question was, How do I had known and memorized spells to the sheet?

Griogre
January 13th, 2008, 23:44
Hi, I am new to fantasy grounds and messing with making a server side character sheet.
my question was, How do I had known and memorized spells to the sheet?
I'm going to guess you mean "add" known and memorized spells. For the record, there is no differance between a server character and one build locally for adding spells. It is a two stage process. First look at the bottom of the spell page and make sure "Preparation mode" is checked. This will cause a two lines to appear at the very top of the Spell Page. The first line is the Level of the Spells and the line under that is the number of spells the character either knows or can memorize. Change the number to the appropriate number from 0. If you do not change the number from 0 you are not going to be add the spells correctly. Once you change the number you should see a heading that says the spell level. Next open the d20 Spell Book module in the library (you may need to activate the d20 Spells module first - open the module list by pressing the button in the top right of the screen that has the modules tool tip and then double click on the blue book such that the brown book icon changes to open). Open the d20 "book" in the Library and then just drag and drop the spell into the spell book from the list of spells. You drag the brown square by the spell name. It is a little touchy, just make sure you drop the spell close the "Level" heading to get it started. When it works the spell will show up on the list. If you want to add a non SRD spell you can add a line by right clicking in the the group of spells of the right level and typing in the Name and Short Description.

jikito
January 14th, 2008, 01:42
thanks for this info... im sorry for my lousy typing skills, had stayed up all night trying to write and adventure.

I do have another question.. if someone wanted to add more spells and more items or even more monsters to the library..what would be the best way to go about it?

Griogre
January 14th, 2008, 06:02
There is the simple way, which I would advise you try at first, and the "pro" way. I personally wouldn't do the "pro" way often because I think it is too much work for too little return, timewise.

In adventures you can just add new monsters as new personalities and new magic items as treasure. For a new spell you can just add a line and type in the new Name and short description with maybe a page referance to where it is from. As a player you can also link the spell to a note instead of a d20 spell and cut and paste or type the spell info into the note. This is the quick and dirty way. The problem with all these is these are one off solutions that only the DM and player can see and DM's can't see notes unless they have a link back to it. It has the advantage of fast and easy.

The other way is to actually make a library module similar to the way the d20 ones are done. There are quite a few posts on the forum on how to make rule modules which is what you would do, but basically to get started you would take say the d20spell.mod file, make a copy of it and then unzip it (mod files are zips in disguise - just change the .mod to .zip). This would give you three files. You would strip out all the d20 spells but one to use as an example and add any new spells in the same format then rename stuff in the various files to something *other* than d20Spells and rezip it. You would do the same for the monsters and magic items. This isn't really too hard once you understand how it all works but unless you are sure you are going to use the stuff at least several times I don't think it's worth the time to type in. If you do go this route I would suggest you just type in the stuff you are actually using rather than trying to enter a whole book or something - unless you really do like data input.

If you are really interested in going this route just do a search on ruleset modules and look at Goblin Kings sticky post in the House of healing on the basics of different types of modules. If you have any more questions just ask and I or someone else will help you.

Sigurd
January 14th, 2008, 06:50
I would add to Griogre's very wise post that, even if you want to go the "pro way" and build a Library Module you may want to run with the easy way first. Building up some data to put into the module is usually a good thing.

On the other hand, if you're a DM with a million very developed house rules that you want at the table, the module path is the way to go.

Sigurd

jikito
January 14th, 2008, 13:55
thanks for the information and quick response, it has been very helpful

Griogre
January 14th, 2008, 20:54
You're welcome for the help. Experimenting with FG is a good way to learn how to use it. You might find it helpful to make a small adventure module from a low level adventure from one of WotC's small free adventrues. Getting a small complete adventure into FG would probably be helpful as far as understanding what you can do with FG. You might also want to download the FG2 conversion I did for someone of the Wizard's Amulet module. You can find it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=51813&postcount=50

jikito
January 15th, 2008, 17:35
I have converted 2 modules over, kind of from campaigns near 20 years ago, of course had to read and reread these new 3.5 rule books.
there are a couple of problems i still have: 1) getting weapons and stuff to show up in combat window off sheets like it does for personalities and such.. the last one is.. I try to enter skill information.. and i cannot seem to enter the numbers or bonuses or anything anywhere...

so far this software has been a blessing for us... I think many of us went to MMO's because we couldnt get local groups for d&d games.time passes and friends and family move far apart. so literally.. to get a gaming fix went through everquest, everquest 2 and wow and such.. the sad part is.. altho the mindless combat in these games is good.. we always found ourselves hungering for the good old fashioned rp of the tabletop days....when I brought it up with friends i have met in online games here and there... i was suprised of the turnout of folks interested...in getting up some good old fashioned tabletop gaming with the virtual desktop...

so thanks guys for this software.. so far its been great.

Griogre
January 15th, 2008, 20:03
I have converted 2 modules over, kind of from campaigns near 20 years ago, of course had to read and reread these new 3.5 rule books.
there are a couple of problems i still have: 1) getting weapons and stuff to show up in combat window off sheets like it does for personalities and such.. the last one is.. I try to enter skill information.. and i cannot seem to enter the numbers or bonuses or anything anywhere...
The parser is picky and you need to enter it just right to have it work. I did a post on how to write up attacks here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=50528&postcount=12). Basically it uses the 3.5 attack block. For skills just do it in this format: Listen +10 IE Skill name, space, then either a plus or minus (this is not optional) and the number. When you have input it right and you hover the mouse over and entry it should turn white. If it does not then the parser can't understand how to parse the data.

so far this software has been a blessing for us... I think many of us went to MMO's because we couldnt get local groups for d&d games.time passes and friends and family move far apart. so literally.. to get a gaming fix went through everquest, everquest 2 and wow and such.. the sad part is.. altho the mindless combat in these games is good.. we always found ourselves hungering for the good old fashioned rp of the tabletop days....when I brought it up with friends i have met in online games here and there... i was suprised of the turnout of folks interested...in getting up some good old fashioned tabletop gaming with the virtual desktop...

I played MORPs and NWN online and I enjoyed them, but I totally agree they are not the same as a RPG with a DM and Players interacting with a single party. It was the ability to have decent voice (and hince minimize the required typing) that finally convinced me that VTT software had come of age.