PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Game of D&d

iron~pen
January 13th, 2008, 06:35
Despite that my few attempts to find games through this have failed, my IRC contacts have dried up. So, I figured I'd try again to get my $30 dollars out of this.

Plain and simple, I'm looking for a game of Dungeons and Dragons.

I'm available Friday, Saturday, and Sunday every week. I'm EST (GMT -6 right now) but that doesn't matter since I'm free all day on weekends. I'd prefer a biweekly game.

I'm an OKly experienced player. I understand the rules and flow of play, plus I'm a decent enough role player so I won't fumble too much if the campaign isn't roll heavy.

The problem, however, is I don't have the breadth of knowledge about the entire suite of books available. I know barely anything about any of the campaign settings and don't have enough familiarity to try and dip into other books like the complete series to make my characters a little more interesting than Vanilla Fighter A or Pelor Cleric B. I know the last one isn't exactly frowned upon by most DMs, but I've found that I'm easily out-shined by more experienced party members just because my choices of feats and such is a bit random and happenstance.

Bottom line: I don't mind joining a game in progress or filling in a class hole for healing or whatever. I'm willing to compromise on anything I've listed that may be a problem, and I only really ask that the other players be willing to work with me if I happen to not understand something.

VarnFury
January 13th, 2008, 08:26
Hello there iron pen, lets see what i can do for you. I run a campaign every sunday at 5pm est (GMT -5). It more or less a open campaign though many of the same people come to play, it a large dungoen run where adventurers have been called to check out Rappan Athuk to see why there is evil surrounding it.

You are welcome to check it out and join.
https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=135

We use Teamspeak to talk one another (you dont need a mic but do have hear me at lest), and Hamachi, which LANS us together because im not able get over the firewall any other way. ( https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en )

scytale2
January 13th, 2008, 11:14
Maybe Iron-pen, you need a game, where "outshining", as you so eloquently put it, doesn't happen, because players develop their character around a theme, not how much damage they can do in combat.

As an occasional DM myself, I like to balance the party, so that each group member can contribute equally.

I would also love to see people paying the price for their 6 wisdom, or their 8 charisma and particular their 8 intelligence choices that they made to ensure they could get 20 strength. Have that half orc barbarian rage at the slightest provocation. Have the 20 Int mage picked on because of his low charisma. Have the 20 DEX hobbit thief find it impossible to carry on a sensible conversation with anyone due to low wisdom.

I'm sure this won't happen and good luck to those that play D&D differently, but games such as the one I describe do happen and imho was the reason rpg was born in the first place.

As far as games to recommend of this type, I would recommend Waldo Pepper and MurghBpurn as being the most roleplaying-biased. Also last night's Shaintar game with Kalan had a lot of rp. Unfortunately for you they run Savage Worlds, not D&D.

My D&D game is a bit of a blend, but it is on Thursday evenings GMT, so probably won't be suitable.

Malken
January 14th, 2008, 00:34
Everyone likes different things in the game, I myself prefer a bit mix, but I also like very tactical battles, where a system follows rules. But to each their own.
Im also not a fan of point by, because of 8 cha 8 wis, etc... characters. Some characters should be more talented then others, that is the way of things. I wouldnt turn a campain down of bad rolls myself, I would just take a character more suited for a party.

iron~pen
January 14th, 2008, 02:21
Hello there iron pen, lets see what i can do for you. I run a campaign every sunday at 5pm est (GMT -5). It more or less a open campaign though many of the same people come to play, it a large dungoen run where adventurers have been called to check out Rappan Athuk to see why there is evil surrounding it.

You are welcome to check it out and join.
https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=135

We use Teamspeak to talk one another (you dont need a mic but do have hear me at lest), and Hamachi, which LANS us together because im not able get over the firewall any other way. ( https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en )

I got an opportunity to team up with one of the earlier incarnations of this campaign (around session 20 or 30 if I remember). I'm looking for something more stable of a campaign, though, and I'll have to pass.

Maybe Iron-pen, you need a game, where "outshining", as you so eloquently put it, doesn't happen, because players develop their character around a theme, not how much damage they can do in combat.

As an occasional DM myself, I like to balance the party, so that each group member can contribute equally.

I would also love to see people paying the price for their 6 wisdom, or their 8 charisma and particular their 8 intelligence choices that they made to ensure they could get 20 strength. Have that half orc barbarian rage at the slightest provocation. Have the 20 Int mage picked on because of his low charisma. Have the 20 DEX hobbit thief find it impossible to carry on a sensible conversation with anyone due to low wisdom.

I'm sure this won't happen and good luck to those that play D&D differently, but games such as the one I describe do happen and imho was the reason rpg was born in the first place.

As far as games to recommend of this type, I would recommend Waldo Pepper and MurghBpurn as being the most roleplaying-biased. Also last night's Shaintar game with Kalan had a lot of rp. Unfortunately for you they run Savage Worlds, not D&D.

My D&D game is a bit of a blend, but it is on Thursday evenings GMT, so probably won't be suitable.

I get what you're saying, and I prefer a more blended style. And as to other more experienced players outshining me, it wasn't because they were power gaming. They were all decent role players who just knew how to take a theme and make an effective character out of it. And yeah, Thursday is a no go.