PDA

View Full Version : Table over 100 dice throw

Engelmann
April 7th, 2023, 16:18
Hi,

I'm using the FGU with the Rolemaster Ruleset and I created a table with 108 lines.
But when I launch the dice it shows d100. I tried with a number of choices below 100 and it works fine 45 entries and it makes a d45 throw.
Did I miss something or is there a specific upper limitation due to the Rolemaster System?

Edit : after some tests : the dice on the top of the table throws a d100 High (relaunch d100 and add if higher as 96)
Thanks for your help.
Regards

Trenloe
April 7th, 2023, 16:21
Please only post one thread regarding a specific issue. As this seems to be related to the Rolemaster ruleset specifically, I'll close your other thread.

Dakadin
April 7th, 2023, 22:10
Yes, the Rolemaster ruleset will roll open-ended rolls if there are entries above 100 (high open-ended) and/or below 1 (low open-ended).

damned
April 8th, 2023, 02:08
As in it will roll a d100 if there are 110 entries in the table and they way to get to the extra entries is by rolling 100?

Dakadin
April 8th, 2023, 02:18
Yeah open-ended rolls in Rolemaster mean that an additional d100 is rolled if you get >=96 (adds) or <=5 (subtracts). If the second or later rolls are >96, it keeps rolling more dice and will add if the original roll was >=96 or subtract if the original roll was <=5. The table will use the minimum or maximum row if it goes past that limit.

Engelmann
April 10th, 2023, 08:46
Yeah open-ended rolls in Rolemaster mean that an additional d100 is rolled if you get >=96 (adds) or <=5 (subtracts). If the second or later rolls are >96, it keeps rolling more dice and will add if the original roll was >=96 or subtract if the original roll was <=5. The table will use the minimum or maximum row if it goes past that limit.

For the other part of the ruleset I understand the particular dice throw system of Rolemaster system but for the custom tables (even if I want to create a custom critical table), the normal way to handle the table would be more accurate because for a table with 110 entries it is a very different result to throw a d110 than an d100 high (or open ended) where the results 96 to 110 will be totally changed.

I don't understand the need to use of the d100 (open ended, high, low or normal) on the custom tables.

damned
April 10th, 2023, 08:52
The Table rolling system is already quite complex. To code in an option to have either d100 high/low or normal random rolls above 100 could be quite complex for nominal gain.

If you have 100+ entries you may have to break it into 3 tables

On Table 1 you set 01-50 to roll on Table 2 and on 51-00 set to roll on Table 3
This will roll a d100 and then randomly choose an entry from your Table 2/3 (unless they are set to a valid physical die)

Engelmann
April 10th, 2023, 10:11
The Table rolling system is already quite complex. To code in an option to have either d100 high/low or normal random rolls above 100 could be quite complex for nominal gain.

If you have 100+ entries you may have to break it into 3 tables

On Table 1 you set 01-50 to roll on Table 2 and on 51-00 set to roll on Table 3
This will roll a d100 and then randomly choose an entry from your Table 2/3 (unless they are set to a valid physical die)

Yes Damned, as usual your advice is wise, this workaround will do the job.

I was just wondering that the default way was do adjust the custom table to number of entries (d43 or d250, whatever this number is). That Rolemaster ruleset has specific dices (D100, d100 Low, d100 High and d100 open ended) and these dices formulas have been coded well. But in this case I don't understand why a specific dice throw has been assigned to the custom tables when it doesn't seemed to be accurate.

You can't even enter manually the dice range you want.

Maybe there is a good reason for this being like that but I can't figure it out right now, I find it confusing.

damned
April 10th, 2023, 10:29
Its because many of the tables in the RM rules have results outside the 01-00 range that are achieved by the roll high/low mechanic.

Dakadin
April 10th, 2023, 19:12
Yeah it is because tables listed in Rolemaster that aren't special tables (attack, critical, etc) tend to require open-ended rolls because they went outside of the normal d100 range. There were some crazy workarounds to get it working before I changed the code to use open-ended rolls. I am not aware of any tables in RM that go outside of the d100 range that don't require open-ended rolls though. Please let me know if you want some examples of these type of tables and I will look up a few references.