PDA

View Full Version : Battletech: A Time of War Ruleset

Brotherkelly
April 6th, 2023, 08:18
This ruleset is for those wanting to run A Time of War campaigns in the Battletech universe.

It has been created using the Ruleset Wizard by psicodelix

The current version is ATOW V2.7, to distinguish it from my earlier Extension, and was uploaded here on 220324.

You will need to load the BT-ATOW.pak file into the Fantasy Grounds Ruleset folder and the BT-ATOW Base Data Module into the Fantasy Grounds Modules folder.

Notes on how to use the ruleset can be found in the Story sidebar button. You MUST HAVE the module loaded for this to display properly.

The Combat Tracker extension used for the earlier version is no longer required as it is now built into the Ruleset.

Any questions, just reply to this thread.

All new versions will be uploaded into this post.

damned
April 6th, 2023, 11:21
Woot!

damned
April 6th, 2023, 11:22
You might consider putting it on the Forge - it is pretty easy to do and it helps keep everyone on the right build.

Brotherkelly
April 6th, 2023, 11:47
I have been thinking about it but wanted to 'tidy it up' a bit more.

I'll certainly look into the process though, thanks.

Baufrin
April 11th, 2023, 21:24
Honestly, just my thought here. Putting it up on the forge would make it easier for me to stay up to date.

trodoss
June 3rd, 2023, 22:22
Hi! I was running the ruleset and when using the "Initiative" button on the character sheet, it looks like it makes the roll then gives "findNode: Invalid Parameter 1"

I see "Debug.chat()" statements around that section in the code, so is this a feature that is in-progress? Thanks.

Brotherkelly
June 4th, 2023, 08:56
Hi! I was running the ruleset and when using the "Initiative" button on the character sheet, it looks like it makes the roll then gives "findNode: Invalid Parameter 1"

I see "Debug.chat()" statements around that section in the code, so is this a feature that is in-progress? Thanks.

Hi Trodoss,

Firstly thanks for taking an interest in this ruleset.

I have investigated your issue and can replicate it. The error will occur if the character you are rolling the initiative for is not in the Combat Tracker. Once this is done then the error will no longer occur.

The Debug.chat() messages have been left active in error. As part of the next update I will comment these out so they do not display.

Let me know if you have any further problems.

Brotherkelly
June 14th, 2023, 03:50
I have an update to push out in a few weeks. Currently away on holiday at the moment, but when I am back I will finish off the update notes and then look at putting this ruleset on the Forge.

chillybilly
June 30th, 2023, 22:39
Wow. This is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Brotherkelly
July 2nd, 2023, 13:16
Thanks, glad you are enjoying it.

If there are any issues the ruleset, let me know. I am going to doing some updates/improvements over the next few weeks. Any comments/suggestions will be gratefully received.

Brotherkelly
August 4th, 2023, 14:50
The latest update will be released at the end of August. I have been extremely busy with real world issues so this project has been delayed.

My plan is to put the next version on the Forge so any further updates are easily captured for those subscribing to it.

cboillot
August 30th, 2023, 02:54
I am looking forward to the update. I do have question: I am not seeing where one can add Skills to drag and drop. Am I overlooking it?

Brotherkelly
August 30th, 2023, 10:23
I am looking forward to the update. I do have question: I am not seeing where one can add Skills to drag and drop. Am I overlooking it?

Glad you are enjoying the ruleset.

You are not missing anything, I haven't implemented a Skills list for drag & drop yet. This is on my list of things to include. For the moment you can right click in the Skills window on the Character Sheet and manually enter the information needed. I think I put an explanation of this in the ruleset notes in post #1.

Hopefully by the end of September this new feature will be included and I will push out the updated ruleset (possibly via Forge).

Brotherkelly
September 2nd, 2023, 13:58
Hi all,

I know I was going to put this into the Forge, but I thought I would provide the latest version here until I sort out my Forge crafting account.

The latest version is now in post #1.

You need to load the ruleset and the extension for it to work.

Tonyanca
February 15th, 2024, 18:05
Congratulations, I've been looking for something like this for a long time.
Great job.

Brotherkelly
February 15th, 2024, 19:10
Congratulations, I've been looking for something like this for a long time.
Great job.

Thanks.

I am working on several updates which I'm hoping to push out in March. The plan is to put the ruleset on the Forge so updates get applied automatically rather than checking back to this thread.

John Doe1234
February 21st, 2024, 07:52
This is awesome, trying to learn the system to get my group to try this out. Should be a nice palate cleanser from us only playing DnD and other fantasy systems.
I also think it'd be cool if possible to use total war fare for vehicle combat, I think Alpha strike simplifies things too much. Either way this is super cool!

Brotherkelly
February 28th, 2024, 22:20
This is awesome, trying to learn the system to get my group to try this out. Should be a nice palate cleanser from us only playing DnD and other fantasy systems.
I also think it'd be cool if possible to use total war fare for vehicle combat, I think Alpha strike simplifies things too much. Either way this is super cool!

Thanks for taking the time to try this out.

When I started out with this ruleset, I considered using the standard Battletech rules for mech combat but wanted this to be quick in the same manner as personal combat. Hence the use of Alpha Strike.

I will look at implementing the Total Warfare rules but it will be a significant update to the rules and take quite some time to do.

I'm hoping to release a new version in the next few weeks via Forge. This will include a base data module as well.

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2024, 23:40
Just starting the novel Endgame (after finishing the 40+ other novels in the universe) and have been thinking about this a lot. Wish there was more time in the day/week because I would love to see how this plays. Keep up the good work!

John Doe1234
March 17th, 2024, 21:03
So currently with the 4.5.x update the module's combat tracker does not work. I can not delete units off the tracker.

Brotherkelly
March 18th, 2024, 00:09
So currently with the 4.5.x update the module's combat tracker does not work. I can not delete units off the tracker.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll put a new update on the thread during the week.

Tonyanca
March 20th, 2024, 19:34
I'm new to Fantasy Grounds so I have little clinical eye at the moment. What Jhon Doe1234 comments on the combat tracker also happens to me.
I have a doubt about the abilities of the vehicles, I can't figure out what the mech's firing ability is, doing tests I couldn't find out.
Thanks for the effort, although I'm more into classic and not so much into alpha strike, having this as a base is great ;)

Brotherkelly
March 21st, 2024, 08:50
I should be pushing out an update at the weekend.

I'll also try and include some guidance on the different functions in the ruleset to clarify the mechanics of the code I've implemented.

Brotherkelly
March 22nd, 2024, 20:33
I have uploaded a new version into Post #1.

If there are any issues, then let me know.

Brotherkelly
March 22nd, 2024, 20:51
The next thing I am going to do is get this ruleset onto the Forge. Hopefully, won't take too long to sort out.

Tonyanca
March 22nd, 2024, 21:12
Great, I'm looking forward to trying it.