PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Player being unable to level up.

SmackDaddy
April 3rd, 2023, 20:37
Using the 5e ruleset, I am the DM and I have a player trying to level up -- going from 10th to 11th level -- yesterday. Incidentally, they had the same issue a couple months ago when they levelled up to 10th level but I just thought it was a temporary glitch and updated his level for him. As the host/DM I have confirmed I have the modules loaded (DM and Player) for DD Xanathar's Guide to Everything -- I've unloaded and reloaded, along with restarted FGU. He can see they are loaded on his side of things, but it just won't let him level up for two levels now and we don't know what to do other than recreating his character sheet, but I'd like to try and avoid that in the instance it's a bug and happens again. I had him unload the module, restart FGU, then when he rejoined, he reloaded the module and same issue. This campaign has been going on for a year or so and he was able to level up until he hit level 10 (probably in January). All the other players had no issue but none of them were using Xanathar's Guide. Thank you in advance!

LordEntrails
April 3rd, 2023, 20:50
I'm guessing he chose the class when their was an incorrect file name for Xanathars. Upload the character sheet here and If I'm right, one of the gurus can correct the xml to point to the correct name.

SmackDaddy
April 3rd, 2023, 21:13
Thank you! Here is the xml export of the character's character sheet. So if this is something that can get fixed, would I delete his current character sheet then import the fixed XML and assign it to him?

Zacchaeus
April 3rd, 2023, 22:02
I can't see anything wrong with the xml and I'm able to level up the character from 11 and higher ok. One thing I did note was that the fighter class was added using Xanathar's Guide to Everything rather than Xanathar's Guide to Everything - Players. Normally if a player creates a character then they'll use the players version of the Xanathar's module since that is the only one that is shared by default. However it is possible to create characters with the DM version of Xanathar as well although that would not normally be shared with the players. The error you posted shows that FG is looking for the DM guide to Xanathar rather than the player's version; so if you haven't shared the DM guide with your players (and you shouldn't do that) that is the likely reason. (Also by the way if the player uses drag and drop using the players version of Xanathar to level up rather than via the character wizard then the player should be able to level up normally in the future).

Other than that the xml is filled with thousands of lines of code from extensions; so one or more of those might be impacting on things as well. However, I can't say that for sure and I can't see anything intrinsically wrong with the character other than the fact that the DM version of Xanathar's guide has been used rather than the players version.

SmackDaddy
April 3rd, 2023, 22:23
Zacchaeus -- yes, lots of extensions, however I highly doubt it would be the cause or we'd be seeing more than one player having the issue (but you are right, it COULD be a result of an extension) -- however, if the user had a problem previously and I helped them and maybe *I* dragged and dropped from the wrong (DM) module onto their sheet, that is possible the reason? To resolve it, can I drag the players module subclass to their sheet and resolve the issue?

Zacchaeus
April 3rd, 2023, 22:42
Zacchaeus -- yes, lots of extensions, however I highly doubt it would be the cause or we'd be seeing more than one player having the issue (but you are right, it COULD be a result of an extension) -- however, if the user had a problem previously and I helped them and maybe *I* dragged and dropped from the wrong (DM) module onto their sheet, that is possible the reason? To resolve it, can I drag the players module subclass to their sheet and resolve the issue?

From my testing your player should be able to drag and drop from the players version onto the existing sheet. The problem is only apparent if you use the character wizard since it insists that the same book be used to level up. Via drag and drop the GM and players versions are interchangeable.

(In other words; don't try and 'fix' it - you'll maybe make it worse. Leave it until they hit level 12 and then make sure they drag and drop the next level rather than use the CW).

SmackDaddy
April 3rd, 2023, 23:14
Ok, thank you!