PDA

View Full Version : Can't see ANY images

Viss
January 12th, 2008, 04:20
I've gone through and re-installed the entire client. I can't see any of the character icons, maps, and most tokens. When I try to use the latest patch, it says that the Fantasy Grounds installation can't be found.

Does anyone have ANY clue? I have both TCP/UDP ports 1802 open to my IP specifically, and I connect to the server just fine. I'm at a total loss.

Viss
January 12th, 2008, 04:48
Version 2.1.0 btw.

Viss
January 12th, 2008, 04:51
We're finding this may be an issue on the hosts part as no one can see maps that have not been cached in their machines. Please let me know what I may be able to have the host try. tyvm

Viss
January 12th, 2008, 06:05
Update: Doesn't appear to be a host issue now. Just me affected. Was just taking a lil extra time to get the download for the other guy..

BTW.... I have intermittent packe loss, but not too significant. Maybe 5% or so. Will dropped packets have this sort of impact.

Goblin-King
January 12th, 2008, 09:42
I've gone through and re-installed the entire client. I can't see any of the character icons, maps, and most tokens. When I try to use the latest patch, it says that the Fantasy Grounds installation can't be found.
The updater problem sounds like a problem with your installation. If you have tried reinstalling, make sure you have the proper privileges to write entries into the Windows registry. Are you using XP or Vista? If you are familiar with the regedit tool, make sure you have the "DataDir" and "InstallDir" values in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fantasy Grounds\2.0.

The above would also explain the fact that you cannot retrieve any images from the host, as the program does not know where to store them. In any case, FG uses TCP which means in practical terms that packet loss does not cause data loss in moderate quantities.

Viss
January 12th, 2008, 14:37
Didn't even think about the fact that it's TCP.. Makes sense now. As for the rest of it... I'm on XP, as the Admin, and both the Install and Data directories are set to default. They both exist properly in my registry.

I also realized that the update I was referring to is for Fantasy Grounds (original.) As far as FG II, it appears that it updates fine (I get to 2.1.0.)

I'm in Tech Support for an ISP, so I can wiggle my way through my PC fairly well. Any other ideas? This all started after a PC reformat and Router reset. The router should be good at this point, so I'm trying to find out what may have changed on my PC.

P.S. I have no firewalls activated and can be pinged externally. Also no Anti-Virus software.

Also.. ty for the help so far. Definitely wanting to figure this out before my groups next meeting. I already ruined last night :-)

Griogre
January 12th, 2008, 19:58
It is very rare for a player to have problems. It usually implies very restrictive network security or hardware problems.

You might try seeing if you have the same problem with the demo. IE have someone run a demo server for you and see if you can connect and see images. This hopefully would let you know whether it is a general connection problem or maybe a problem with your FG2 installation. The demo setup has no internet connection component and installs side by side so will have no effect on your FG2 installation.

If I had to guess I would say from your description that: 1) your update from the internet corrupted FG2. If that is true the demo should work fine for you and you can know where to look more. 2) Somehow you router is messing up you local LAN connection or you have another piece of hardware other than the router between the computer and the Internet with a firewall in it.

If you just did a router reset you might want to check you have a local static IP on the computer you are using for FG and the router is pointing at it. I would double check that you did not under allocate IP numbers on your local LAN, too (IE you got four computers on the LAN and the router is set to only allocate 3 local IPS or that the local IP leases are not so long all the IPs are effectively locked up).

Hamish
January 12th, 2008, 21:18
If you can connect to the host, the problem is not in your router I'd say. It still looks like your FG installation has been corrupted. Have you de-installed, removed any left over directories, removed any left over registry keys and then re-installed? Only way to be sure you're starting with a clean sheet.

Viss
January 13th, 2008, 01:52
I'm almost 100% sre it's not my router. I've got a IP that pretty much won't change, and I've placed myself into the DMZ. Also have Port forwarding to my IP, verified many times. Guess I'll try another reinstall of FG with a reboot in between, and see if that helps.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Dachannien
January 13th, 2008, 03:30
If reinstalling doesn't fix matters, it may be important to check the registry keys Goblin King mentioned above. At this point, that sounds like the likeliest culprit.

Next on my list would be that there's not really a problem at all, and it's just taking longer for maps to download to you. The host should see what looks kind of like a spiderweb icon (whatever it's supposed to be) in the upper right corner of a map. This icon means that the map has successfully been shared with all of the clients that were connected when the DM picked the "share" or "preload" option for that map. If the icon hasn't appeared yet, then at least one person is still downloading it.

Viss
January 13th, 2008, 06:25
Registry is good. and Host shows that I have it downloaded even though I don't see it. Gonna try the reinstall when I get time.

Dachannien
January 13th, 2008, 06:32
What do you see on your end instead of the images you're supposed to see?

Griogre
January 13th, 2008, 17:24
Yeah I did wonder about slow download on the map too. You might have the host send you a new hand drawn map with just an X on it.

Viss
January 19th, 2008, 03:38
So...

New PC.. Similar issue. Bypassed my Router complete.

Host sent a simple image file.. I couldn't see it... But both myself, and another were able to draw on it, and I could see it with no troubles.

As far as a bitmap image, others see it, but I don't

Viss
January 19th, 2008, 04:57
Resolved... After mcuh troubleshooting

Ged
January 19th, 2008, 07:29
Care to share any of your findings?

Hoglan
January 19th, 2008, 16:49
Things we tried: (With me as the host)
Both Viss and Me DMZ'd.
Starting a brand new campaign.

But my theory is:
I had 42 tokens in the "shared" folder, after moving those out of that folder and restarting the game, things seemed to function normally.

It seems that there is some hardcoded "cue" for what is shared among players that initially join your game.
First, tokens are downloaded, then modules, then portriats, then your images that you're sharing.

Wish there was some way to configure the way this data is sent to your players, but I would recommend not placing any tokens in your shared folder when DM'ing a campaign. At least if you have a broadband (~40k upload) connection.

Griogre
January 19th, 2008, 20:32
Out of curiosity how large, file size and pixels, where these tokens? I remember in FG1 I had a DM that had megs in dragon tokens that would transfer to me and then I would in turm spam the players of my games with megs of dragon tokens. None of us were amused. :p In FG2 they fixed the token spam problem by making shared tokens be loaded but not passed around. The shared tokens should cache though on the players machine but they do need to be transfered once.