PDA

View Full Version : 5e Reactions

Stv
March 31st, 2023, 20:27
Here's an extension for 5e to help tracking certain reaction based effects/features and spells.

Forge Link (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/1137/view)

Try it out and let me know how you get on. Full(ish) instructions are on the forge page.

Cheers, Steve.

P.S. This extension supercedes my original shield & reaction extension. So I suggest not using that if you use this extension. The shield & reaction extension will ultimately be delisted once you guys have play-tested this one :)

Stv
March 31st, 2023, 20:34
I forgot to add in the previous post...
A massive thank you to Nighthag Games for the custom icons and graphics used in this extension.
Keep an eye out for some adventures and things coming from those guys in the future.

Cheers, Steve.

Gothcastle
March 31st, 2023, 20:42
I can say from experiance that it is awesome!

Darth Decisive
March 31st, 2023, 20:49
This extension looks amazing!

Quick question; is this mean to be used in ADDITION to your Shield & Reaction extension, or INSTEAD of it?

Darth Decisive
March 31st, 2023, 20:50
This extension looks amazing!

Quick question; is this mean to be used in ADDITION to your Shield & Reaction extension, or INSTEAD of it?

I just found the answer to this (Use instead) as soon as I posted it. Nevermind!

nephranka
April 1st, 2023, 14:14
OA is one of the most used reactions. So this is just a thought: Is it possible to make it so if the player selects opportunity from the modifier buttons and attacks it will either complete it and check the reaction or tell them they can not due to not have a available reaction?

Otherwise it is working good.

Stv
April 1st, 2023, 14:32
Leave that one with me, I'll see what I can do. It won't be immediate though as I've a game on tonight.

Cheers, Steve.

*edit*
Glad to hear it's working for you so far :)

nephranka
April 1st, 2023, 14:52
Leave that one with me, I'll see what I can do. It won't be immediate though as I've a game on tonight.

Cheers, Steve.

*edit*
Glad to hear it's working for you so far :)

No rush. Sounds good! My players can't live without this ext :)

Fingersome
April 2nd, 2023, 17:35
Is there a way to check for the distance from the attacker/target? I'm specifically thinking of the Rune Knight class, since have a couple of reactions that have a specific range where they can be used (Runic Shield, and Cloud Rune).
This also goes for features like Interception fighting style, and I'm sure most other reactions have some kind of distance requirement. It'd be neat if you could specify distance to the target or the source of the trigger in the custom effects, as a maximum distance that would trigger the effect.

Stv
April 2nd, 2023, 18:27
The Retaliation feature in the extension checks to ensure if you're within 5 feet currently,as do the other feats/features I've coded for that have distance constraints. I'll have a look through the other stuff to see if range triggers need to be added.

Cheers, Steve.

Haer
April 18th, 2023, 23:26
Has anyone else noticed the extension now giving notifications for reactions? Like shield etc? For me it was working great. And then noticed it not sending notifications to players who had shield etc. I already PM the author of this extension, I'm just asking in general if anyone else has had this issue as of recent? Only other extension I have added was glancing blows ext. Linked here. https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/1132/view

WinterSoldier7
June 10th, 2023, 23:38
Hello, idiot here trying to get this to work..

If I have a PC with Uncanny Dodge before installing the extension, should it just work as intended or do I need to re-add it somehow?

Stv
June 11th, 2023, 08:13
Hi WinterSoldier7,
The ext should work for you without having to do anything else.
If you're having a problem we'll need to look into it in further detail.

Cheers, Steve.

WinterSoldier7
June 12th, 2023, 10:05
Possibly, I've misunderstood how to use it. Do I need to have a map with tokens? Last week we use 'theatre of the mind' and ran off the Combat Tracker - we completely forgot Uncanny Dodge was a thing for most of it.

Stv
June 12th, 2023, 19:36
Uncanny Dodge should be working if all you have is characters on the Combat Tracker. (I did just test in a clean campaign to be sure :P ). Just ensure that the character has 'Uncanny Dodge' as a feature.
I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working for you.

Cheers, Steve.

WinterSoldier7
June 13th, 2023, 14:07
No worries, I have a fair few other extensions that could be causing a conflict. Let me try again this coming weekend and see whether I can tinker!

Stv
June 13th, 2023, 19:18
Let me know if you figure out which other extension is conflicting and I'll see what can be done to resolve the issue.

Cheers, Steve.

Arnagus
September 10th, 2023, 13:22
Hello Steve,

Your extension is definitiv a "(Quality of) Life" saver for players repeatedly forgetting to "react" when they got their damage.

I have discovered a strange "oddity" with your extension (recreated with only this one loaded), which you might want to investigate:

Shield: even when the spell is not memorized, the notification is triggered

Might also be true for other spells...

Stv
September 10th, 2023, 14:33
Hi Arnagus,
Thanks for reporting the issue.
I'll get a look at that soon™. I'm very busy with RL work nonsense atm but will get round to checking it out as soon as i can.

Cheers, Steve.

Type3rror
December 17th, 2023, 09:34
Hello Steve,
I didn't get the REAATKH to work. Maybe I have a typeerror :o
Idea is to trigger the smite action.

Can you give me an example?

happy holidays!
M

Stv
December 18th, 2023, 10:44
It's been a while since I've touched this extension for anything.... give me some time to look into it and make sure it's still working before I give you an example.

Cheers, Steve.

rocketvaultgames
April 15th, 2024, 16:42
This extension is fantastic and works great for checking off the tick box in the combat tracker when reaction are used (For effects with "RCT) in the name.

Is there any functionality for opportunity attacks? Holding SHIFT when making an attack flags it as an opportunity attack ("[OPPORTUNITY]" in the chatlog), as does clicking the "Opportunity" button with Modifiers Extension.

Stv
April 15th, 2024, 17:46
Nice idea @rocketvaultgames
I'll see if I can't add that in in the next pass over this extension when RL gives me a break.

Cheers, Steve.

nephranka
April 15th, 2024, 18:10
This extension is fantastic and works great for checking off the tick box in the combat tracker when reaction are used (For effects with "RCT) in the name.

Is there any functionality for opportunity attacks? Holding SHIFT when making an attack flags it as an opportunity attack ("[OPPORTUNITY]" in the chatlog), as does clicking the "Opportunity" button with Modifiers Extension.

I for one would like this as well!

MrDDT
April 15th, 2024, 19:23
Me too!!!

rocketvaultgames
April 16th, 2024, 21:05
Nice idea @rocketvaultgames
I'll see if I can't add that in in the next pass over this extension when RL gives me a break.

Cheers, Steve.

Another related thought: A way for that "React?" tick box to be visible to and usable by players (maybe optionally?) would be great. I'm asked all the time if an NPC has already used their reaction.

I have no idea how hard that would be and I know you're busy. Thanks!

Stv
April 16th, 2024, 21:13
Surely that's up to the players to pay more attention? :P
Again a possibility I'm sure, but that one is definately a 'back-burner' addition.

Cheers, Steve.

rocketvaultgames
April 16th, 2024, 21:51
No worries. Very much appreciated.

MrDDT
April 16th, 2024, 23:03
Another related thought: A way for that "React?" tick box to be visible to and usable by players (maybe optionally?) would be great. I'm asked all the time if an NPC has already used their reaction.

I have no idea how hard that would be and I know you're busy. Thanks!

Well in theory, the players shouldn't know this, just as the creatures shouldn't know if the players used theirs. For all the players know the creature could have a skill/feature that allows the creature to not use reactions on things.

Seems like very out of game knowledge that likely shouldn't be displayed to the players at all.

Can you give a use case where players need to know if a creature has used their reaction or not outside of just meta gaming?

rocketvaultgames
April 16th, 2024, 23:12
I think it's just preference. For my group in this campaign, we enjoy combat as a 'tactical combat game' so some things like this we prefer to be public knowledge.

I also generally like to avoid 'gotcha' moments and increase player agency. Not knowing whether a creature has a reaction available makes the players' actions more of a guessing game than a strategy.

I could definitely see not wanting this... so an option to make it visible and an option to make it editable by players would be ideal in my perfect world.

I do think a case could be made that characters in-game do understand that (essentially all) creatures can only make 1 opportunity attack per round and would know if a creature had used that particular flavor of reaction... Same for Shield, Counterspell, etc.

nephranka
April 17th, 2024, 01:45
I think it's just preference. For my group in this campaign, we enjoy combat as a 'tactical combat game' so some things like this we prefer to be public knowledge.

I also generally like to avoid 'gotcha' moments and increase player agency. Not knowing whether a creature has a reaction available makes the players' actions more of a guessing game than a strategy.

I could definitely see not wanting this... so an option to make it visible and an option to make it editable by players would be ideal in my perfect world.

I do think a case could be made that characters in-game do understand that (essentially all) creatures can only make 1 opportunity attack per round and would know if a creature had used that particular flavor of reaction... Same for Shield, Counterspell, etc.

My table works the same way. Having the option seems to make the most sense.

MrDDT
April 17th, 2024, 19:07

Totally get it that there are options that each GM would like to play a way they like to play with their players.

By use case I'm wondering is there a use case where officially a player would know if a creature has use a reaction or not.

Example of a use case would be say, if you cast a spell that does damage when the creature moves, the player would need to know that the creature moved in order to apply damage.

Again I'm not faulting your choice in how to run a table, I'm asking if maybe I'm missing something in use cases where player would need to know that information.

I'm happy with more options available to allow people to run games how they run their game, as long as it's not going to affect the other way to play, which if this is an option it shouldn't.

Stv
April 17th, 2024, 20:18
It would appear my test version of this extension that we've been using on my home table has had the opportunity attack functionality in it for a while, :P I'll give it a once over and push it to live in the next day or so.

Cheers, Steve.

rocketvaultgames
April 17th, 2024, 20:29
Totally get it that there are options that each GM would like to play a way they like to play with their players.

By use case I'm wondering is there a use case where officially a player would know if a creature has use a reaction or not.

Example of a use case would be say, if you cast a spell that does damage when the creature moves, the player would need to know that the creature moved in order to apply damage.

Again I'm not faulting your choice in how to run a table, I'm asking if maybe I'm missing something in use cases where player would need to know that information.

I'm happy with more options available to allow people to run games how they run their game, as long as it's not going to affect the other way to play, which if this is an option it shouldn't.

You're having fun wrong!! ;)

For us the primary use case is just knowing without spending the few seconds to ask and have the DM check and reply if a creature if going to be able to make an opportunity attack if the player moves away. If they could see the tick box, they could know for sure before it's even their turn and plan accordingly.

Any way to save even a few seconds can really add up in high-level tactical grid combat.

rocketvaultgames
April 17th, 2024, 20:30
It would appear my test version of this extension that we've been using on my home table has had the opportunity attack functionality in it for a while, :P I'll give it a once over and push it to live in the next day or so.

Cheers, Steve.

Awesome. Thanks much!!

Stv
April 18th, 2024, 19:12
Just pushed a new build to The Forge which checks for opportunity attacks.
There is also a new option in the options window to allow checks for opportunity attacks when a character moves, but this can be a bit spammy if you let players run all over the map out of turn :P

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers, Steve.

rocketvaultgames
April 18th, 2024, 20:49
Fantastic! I'll play around with it this weekend and try it out live on Monday night.

Stv
April 18th, 2024, 20:54
I've had this one sat waiting for over 3 months, just forgot about it :D Hope it doesn't need too many tweaks to be useable.
I know there are a couple of graphics & text I need to add in, but that's just cosmetics which I'll get round to eventually.

Cheers, Steve.

MrDDT
April 19th, 2024, 05:57
I've had this one sat waiting for over 3 months, just forgot about it :D Hope it doesn't need too many tweaks to be useable.
I know there are a couple of graphics & text I need to add in, but that's just cosmetics which I'll get round to eventually.

Cheers, Steve.

Really love this, however, I'm afraid it's causing some lag with my tables and others I've seen using it tonight at another table.

I believe too much checking of ranges is happening and likely causing some lag. I easy tested this running all my EXTs with this on, and moved a token around fast all over the map, and it was stutter and pause moving it around.
Turned off this ext (but left all the rest on) and no stuttering and pauses while moving around fast.

Really love it though, I also do not currently think its TOO spammy, however, maybe at a later date I might.

Might want to look at how AURAs does this range checking as it doesn't seem to lag.

MrDDT
April 19th, 2024, 05:59
Ok after more testing, I noticed that turning the sound notification off, seems to have fixed the lag issue.

Stv
April 19th, 2024, 07:46
Ok after more testing, I noticed that turning the sound notification off, seems to have fixed the lag issue.

Thanks for the testing :)

There is a LOT of distance checking when tokens are moved, so not sure if I can speed that up any.

This extension us definitely a 'work in progress' though, so who knows :P

When RL calms down a bit I'll be looking at this one again.

Cheers, Steve.

rocketvaultgames
April 19th, 2024, 15:21
Just starting to do a little testing... It appears that the notifications are visible to all connected players without regard for whether the NPC triggering the opportunity attack message is hidden in the CT. The message also shows the NPC's actual name regardless of whether or not it is ID'd.

I think ideal behavior would be to only show the notifications to the GM for hidden actors, and show the currently displayed CT name to all.

Thanks much!

Stv
April 19th, 2024, 15:47
Just starting to do a little testing... It appears that the notifications are visible to all connected players without regard for whether the NPC triggering the opportunity attack message is hidden in the CT. The message also shows the NPC's actual name regardless of whether or not it is ID'd.

I think ideal behavior would be to only show the notifications to the GM for hidden actors, and show the currently displayed CT name to all.

Thanks much!

Not a bad idea, I'll see what I can do.
Also, as a DM, if you hold shift (I think, can't check as at work atm) while moving it won't check for reactions.

Cheers, Steve.

rocketvaultgames
April 19th, 2024, 16:25
Shift does work. At this point I will just leave the Opportunity Notifications off as it is too risky to give away hidden info accidentally.

It is still AMAZING to be able to Shift-Attack to auto-check the tick-box. Thanks much!!

nephranka
April 19th, 2024, 16:36
RAW, they need to be able to see the target to take the attack. In this case the option should be skipped. I notice it checks if they have an reaction before spamming chat...so maybe it can check if they visible on the CT as well.

Opportunity Attacks
In a fight, everyone is constantly watching for a chance to strike an enemy who is fleeing or passing by. Such a strike is called an opportunity attack.
You can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach. To make the opportunity attack, you use your reaction to make one melee attack against the provoking creature. The attack occurs right before the creature leaves your reach.

You can avoid provoking an opportunity attack by taking the Disengage action. You also don’t provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction. For example, you don’t provoke an opportunity attack if an explosion hurls you out of a foe’s reach or if gravity causes you to fall past an enemy.

While at it, maybe if they have "disengage" on them it could also skip it?

Stv
April 19th, 2024, 20:18
RAW, they need to be able to see the target to take the attack. In this case the option should be skipped. I notice it checks if they have an reaction before spamming chat...so maybe it can check if they visible on the CT as well.

While at it, maybe if they have "disengage" on them it could also skip it?

Stop making more work for me :P
But in all seriousness that's also a good point. I'll add it to the (ever increasing) list ^^

Cheers, Steve.

nephranka
April 19th, 2024, 22:55
Stop making more work for me :P
But in all seriousness that's also a good point. I'll add it to the (ever increasing) list ^^

Cheers, Steve.

I thought about that as I responded :)

MrDDT
April 20th, 2024, 02:44
I like the extra options and checking in just worried about adding to many calculations each time any token is moved.

Stacking this with other exts that do it plus FGU checking stuff seems like it’s making a lot of lag.

I know that AURAS had to do a lot of work to get it to not lag.

Stv
April 20th, 2024, 08:12
It's always going to be a tradeoff between functionality and speed when you're checking against every CT entry. There may be a way to mitigate some of this which I'll look kinto eventually.
For now I'll see about the function additions 1st.

Cheers, Steve.

rocketvaultgames
April 20th, 2024, 15:46
RE: "checking against every CT entry":

You may have solved this already with 5e Legendary Assistant, but I just want to mention... with Combat Groups, maybe there is a way to calculate only on what is visible in the CT.

I know that doesn't help every situation, but if there is a way to avoid a bunch of needless calculations, that might be excellent.

I'm not sure if Legendary Assistant does look at all (including hidden) CT entries but just doesn't report notifications on them (with the option toggled off), or just doesn't look at them at all somehow. If it is the latter, there might be some other extensions out that that could benefit from that methodology (Clock Adjuster comes to mind).

Thanks for all you do!

rocketvaultgames
April 23rd, 2024, 04:12
I'm sorry to say that with only Reactions loaded, there is too much lag when moving tokens to be able to play, so I'm turning it off for now.

Just turning off the notifications doesn't seem to help.

I feel fairly certain that this is related to having (way too) many (usually hidden) actors in the CT, but unfortunately it's a dealbreaker for me. Any chance you could share the version from before 4-17-24?

I know you're RL is busy so I don't want to ask you to do any extra development if you don't have the time. When you do, I'll be happy to help test.

Thanks much!!

Arnagus
April 23rd, 2024, 06:38
I can confirm that the lag is awful, but this was already true for 8 entries in CT (total) and moving them around. Turning off the Opportunity check in options did not help, neither the audible notifyer. I suspect an interference with another extension (not yet tested).
Is there a way to turn the new functionality off without disabling the whole extension?
Otherwise, I would also appreciate getting the "old" version of the extension.

MrDDT
April 23rd, 2024, 06:41
I can confirm that the lag is awful, but this was already true for 8 entries in CT (total) and moving them around. Turning off the Opportunity check in options did not help, neither the audible notifyer. I suspect an interference with another extension (not yet tested).
Is there a way to turn the new functionality off without disabling the whole extension?
Otherwise, I would also appreciate getting the "old" version of the extension.

Did everyone turn it off or just the GM?

rocketvaultgames
April 23rd, 2024, 17:24

Doh! I definitely assumed it was a global on/off for everyone on the GM's side...

However, with no players connected and the setting "off" for the GM, I'm still seeing unplayable lag when moving tokens.

Arnagus
April 23rd, 2024, 19:18

Everyone claimed to have it turned off. Any way the host can verify?

MrDDT
April 23rd, 2024, 19:20
Everyone claimed to have it turned off. Any way the host can verify?

Nope.

Stv
April 23rd, 2024, 20:21
Apologies for the lag guys, I've rolled it back to the previous version for now. So you've lost the 'shift for opportunity attack' checks.... for now.

Cheers, Steve.

rocketvaultgames
April 23rd, 2024, 20:25
No worries. Thanks. We appreciate all you do!!

Arnagus
April 24th, 2024, 06:30
Apologies for the lag guys, I've rolled it back to the previous version for now. So you've lost the 'shift for opportunity attack' checks.... for now.

Sorry that it did not (yet) work. Still planing to see if another extension is causing the lag - I have some suspicons but want to check.

GKEnialb
April 25th, 2024, 02:12
I'm not experiencing any lag. When you do reinstate that functionality and RL permits, if you want to steal the code I used to remove lag in the old Token Heights Indicator (which should be pretty close to how Aura Effects does it), I'd be happy to point you to it.