PDA

View Full Version : Any way to get the parser to grab custom conditions/effects for an NPC attack?

Hjorimir
March 23rd, 2023, 08:14
Trying to find a way to pull in effects I've added to NPC attacks, but can't seem to get it working. Is this just impossible?

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2023, 09:17
See NPC traits and NPC actions here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996641934/5E+NPCs+and+Encounters

Generally the parser will pick up on conditions if you preface it with 'is' - such as the target is poisoned or the target is knocked prone. Usually this follows wording which causes a saving throw effect, but not always. Otherwise it depends on what effects you are trying to create. Some examples may be helpful.

Hjorimir
March 23rd, 2023, 09:36
First, thanks for replying, Zacchaeus!

Here is the effect I added and how I've to the NPC attack written:

Gravecursed; SAVERESTL: CON 15; SAVEADD: exhaustion

Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 21 (4d8 + 3) necrotic damage. The target must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or is gravecursed and gains one level of exhaustion.

I know that the effect itself works, but I can't get the [EFF: gravecursed] to populate in the NPC attacks from the Combat Tracker (EFF: exhaustion shows).

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2023, 13:21
You can't do that without an extension. In other words you can't add an effect to an NPC directly without one of the extensions which allow you to do that.

Hjorimir
March 23rd, 2023, 17:01
Any idea of which extensions allow that? I have extensions like Better Combat Effects Gold, but I don't see a mechanism that allows me to add a custom effect/condition in such a manner that it gets pulled into the NPC attack.

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2023, 18:35
This is one of them https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/68/view

Hjorimir
March 23rd, 2023, 19:37
Advanced Effects is a great extension for sure, but it doesn't allow me to pull custom effects into NPC attacks, unfortunately.

Dudin
March 23rd, 2023, 19:48
This Extensions allows you to add PC Sheet-like actions/effects to NPCs: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/433/view

It hasn't been updated in over a year though, so I am unsure if it still works.
I do wish NPCs worked like PCs with being able to build actions/powers that you can add effect strings too instead of just being locked to the limits of the text parser.

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2023, 20:28
Advanced Effects is a great extension for sure, but it doesn't allow me to pull custom effects into NPC attacks, unfortunately.

Yes, probably not for the effect that you want to create in this case since it needs to be applied to the target and you can't create effects like that in an NPC outside of the internal parser (unless another extension does that). You should be able to build the effect in the effects dialog though and apply it from there.

SilentRuin
March 23rd, 2023, 20:28
BCEG is the one that does that. ALWAYS read the forum threads for any extension you have. He has a readme.pdf in first page where you can just look it up. What I did.

rhagelstrom
March 23rd, 2023, 20:45
If you have the exhausted extension it adds the condition exhaustion to the conditions table. Then you can use BCEG to add it exhaustion like in your second post. If you want to add other/custom conditions you'd need an extension to insert those custom conditions into the conditions table.

Hjorimir
March 24th, 2023, 00:33
BCEG is the one that does that. ALWAYS read the forum threads for any extension you have. He has a readme.pdf in first page where you can just look it up. What I did.

I have BCEG and I've read the notes on it. Can you give me an example of how I can have BCGE pull in a custom effect into an NPC attack? I don't see it and I've read over this PDF like 3 times already. Please review the attached image.

I get the feeling that you're misinterpreting what I'm trying to do here, but I'd love to be proven wrong!

Hjorimir
March 24th, 2023, 00:37
If you have the exhausted extension it adds the condition exhaustion to the conditions table. Then you can use BCEG to add it exhaustion like in your second post. If you want to add other/custom conditions you'd need an extension to insert those custom conditions into the conditions table.

I think this is probably the correct answer, which means I'm probably out of luck as I don't have the necessary skills to write such an extension. Honestly, a bit surprised this isn't baseline functionality in FGU.

SilentRuin
March 24th, 2023, 01:32
I think this is probably the correct answer, which means I'm probably out of luck as I don't have the necessary skills to write such an extension. Honestly, a bit surprised this isn't baseline functionality in FGU.
I think you are right - I thought you were asking where your quoted effect keywords came from. My bad.

Hjorimir
March 24th, 2023, 02:11
I think you are right - I thought you were asking where your quoted effect keywords came from. My bad.

Thanks for looking, SilentRuin!

Bonkon
March 25th, 2023, 08:59
Good Day Hjorimir :)
I believe Rhagelstrom meant this extension?

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/70/view

It is Free from the Forge :)

Never Mind, I misread the post. :o