PDA

View Full Version : Making purchased Portrait packs available to my players....

firvulag
March 14th, 2023, 01:43
Sorry guys for wasting time here because I feel like this has to have been asked before.

I bought a bunch of portraits and I want to make them available for my players to use. They are all jpgs and I zipped them up and changed their extension to ".ppk" then added them to the folder: C:\Users\xxxxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fan tasy Grounds\portraits

After doing that I can find them just fine while in FGU under the assets/portraits menu but my players cannot. I asked them to click on their current portraits and attempt to find the assets but they don't see them.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong but I have no idea what. Can someone pls point me in the right direction ...a vid...or post. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!!!

Zacchaeus
March 14th, 2023, 01:51
Tokens and portraits are not shared with players. Players can only access portraits that they own and are located in their own portrait folder.

damned
March 14th, 2023, 04:25
It is a pita.
Sadly it was an early design decision by the original devs and it is a lot of work to unpick.
Im sure it will happen one day but its not a high priority because of the amount of work involved (as far as I understand)

firvulag
March 14th, 2023, 05:39
But there are some basic portraits already available to them....do these just come automatically with the free demo version (note that all my exp is from the GM side of the software)?

In any event, thanks both of you for clarifying that for me. I'm new to FG so wasn't aware of that fact. Seems a very odd design decision though imho.

✌����

damned
March 14th, 2023, 05:41
Yes some portraits do come with the program.
Players can bring in their own images from outside the application.
Works best if the images are square and not too big (512x512 or smaller is best)

No idea what they were thinking at the time...

Griogre
March 14th, 2023, 15:48
They were thinking that players own the characters and so the portraits should belong to them too. :)

@OP Keep in mind if you do have a couple of good candidate portraits you think a player might like - you can just set them yourself to let them the see portrait. It's slow but does work.

Trenloe
March 14th, 2023, 15:56
A work around is for the GM to take screenshots of some of the portrait folders in FG and then share those screenshots as normal images. The players can pick a portrait they like from the shared images in FG and the GM can then apply that portrait to the PC.

firvulag
March 14th, 2023, 18:00
Thank you all for the advice. What I ended up doing was putting them all in a folder and then dropping them on to my google drive. Then just pinned a link to it on my discord channel so that any of them could access it at any time and use them if they choose.