PDA

View Full Version : How do I see the books I bought?

thobel
March 13th, 2023, 01:01
Where do I see the books? DM Guide etc?

LordEntrails
March 13th, 2023, 01:07
Launch FG
Run an Update
Start or Create a Campaign using the ruleset for the game system you want to see your books for
When the campaign opens, goto Modules
From the Module window, Click Activation
Once the product loads you will find the various lists populated (Stories, NPC, Items, etc) as well you might find more information in the Reference Manual (via the Modules window)

Or see: Fantasy Grounds Unity Tutorial --- How To Load A Module - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itXGqBi78vA)

thobel
March 13th, 2023, 01:10
Launch FG
Run an Update
Start or Create a Campaign using the ruleset for the game system you want to see your books for
When the campaign opens, goto Modules
From the Module window, Click Activation
Once the product loads you will find the various lists populated (Stories, NPC, Items, etc) as well you might find more information in the Reference Manual (via the Modules window)

Or see: Fantasy Grounds Unity Tutorial --- How To Load A Module - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itXGqBi78vA)

I just want to browse the book? I can't just open the Players handbook and read it? what the hell did I buy?

LordEntrails
March 13th, 2023, 01:18
I just want to browse the book? I can't just open the Players handbook and read it? what the hell did I buy?
You bought DLC for a virtual table top application (VTT). "Books" for it are effectively databases of information and objects that can be used to run an RPG game via a virtual environment. i.e. instead of a stat block for a monster laid out like you would in a book, you have a data object that can perform attacks, cast spells, make saving throws, take damage and be linked to a token on a battle map (and more).

You did not buy a PDF of a published book that you can read but everything else is in your imagination. That said, depending upon which "Book" you are talking about, it may have a "Reference Manual" version that contains a human readable electronic version of the book.

Depending upon your intent and desires, you may or may not want to return what you bought. If you bought via the FG Store (this website) they have a 30 day refund policy. Steam and the DMsGuild have less friendly return policies.

thobel
March 13th, 2023, 01:20
How do they have the nerve to charge these prices and you don't even get the book? This seems like a damn scam

LordEntrails
March 13th, 2023, 01:21
To add more, if you are talking the D&D 5E Player's Handbook, as I said, there is the reference manual which is a electronic human readable form of the "book". It looks like the attached image. You can select the chapters and pages, use the prev and next buttons on the bottom of the page, etc.

thobel
March 13th, 2023, 01:23
To add more, if you are talking the D&D 5E Player's Handbook, as I said, there is the reference manual which is a electronic human readable form of the "book". It looks like the attached image. You can select the chapters and pages, use the prev and next buttons on the bottom of the page, etc.

That's what I first asked how do I get to it?

LordEntrails
March 13th, 2023, 01:24
How do they have the nerve to charge these prices and you don't even get the book? This seems like a damn scam
You bought something that you didn't know what it was and think its a scam? That's... interesting.

Anyway, all the content from the book is in the module. It's readable and accessible inside the application. It's just much more capable than a PDF or similar static electronic format. They charge the same as the printed book, but you get a whole lot more capability.

You can share the book with as many players as are connected to your campaign (if you are the GM). Each player can be reading a different page of the book, at the same time. You can't do that with a printed book. Plus all the other capbilities I already mentioned.

LordEntrails
March 13th, 2023, 01:25
That's what I first asked how do I get to it?
Follow the directions in my first reply.

thobel
March 13th, 2023, 01:37
Follow the directions in my first reply.

I did I got to this.

Moon Wizard
March 13th, 2023, 01:57
Where did you download the Fantasy Grounds software from? (Because that screen does not look right)
Can you show us a screen clip of the FG launch screen? (Windows key + Shift + S on Windows machines)

Make sure that you download the software from the main website, if possible; and use the default installation settings.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/FantasyGroundsUnity.php

If you're still having issues, feel free to reach out to our support guys too.
https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals

Regards,
JPG

thobel
March 13th, 2023, 02:17
I have been informed that books I buy here are not the “books” it’s access threw a database I’m pretty much deciding now if I should cancel and get at dndbeyond

Moon Wizard
March 13th, 2023, 02:37
If you are just looking for digital versions of the books, like PDFs; no one has the rights to publish those, per the publisher.

For Fantasy Grounds, the books are converted to be used for a virtual tabletop environment, where you are not only looking over the book, but using individual data records from the book for the play experience during games on the virtual tabletop. (i.e. building characters from race/class/item/spell information; using creatures in combat scenarios; etc.) Fantasy Grounds itself is a self-contained application beyond the initial update process, and you can use those books wherever you have Fantasy Grounds installed (but it does require an installation).

I believe that D&D Beyond offers the ability to peruse the books online as well, but you also must always be connected through their web site to access the materials.

If you're just looking for online access to the books, not for a virtual tabletop tool to facilitate online play; then D&DB might be a simpler solution.

Regards,
JPG

thobel
March 13th, 2023, 02:40
If you are just looking for digital versions of the books, like PDFs; no one has the rights to publish those, per the publisher.

For Fantasy Grounds, the books are converted to be used for a virtual tabletop environment, where you are not only looking over the book, but using individual data records from the book for the play experience during games on the virtual tabletop. (i.e. building characters from race/class/item/spell information; using creatures in combat scenarios; etc.) Fantasy Grounds itself is a self-contained application beyond the initial update process, and you can use those books wherever you have Fantasy Grounds installed (but it does require an installation).

I believe that D&D Beyond offers the ability to peruse the books online as well, but you also must always be connected through their web site to access the materials.

If you're just looking for online access to the books, not for a virtual tabletop tool to facilitate online play; then D&DB might be a simpler solution.

Regards,
JPG

I’m looking for both but I don’t get how players learn when they can’t read the players handbook except tiny pieces as you create a character? Whe I played I think I looked over every book they made it’s just confusing to me you can’t read them even only online is fine like dndbeyond

Griogre
March 13th, 2023, 02:49
Your players can log into your server and read the books that you allow them to. If they don't know the rules you can put the server up the a day or two before the game and let them read the rulebooks. For band new players, the character wizard will take them set by step through the options of creating a character. The options in the character wizard are determined by what modules you have activated.

thobel
March 13th, 2023, 03:17
Where did you download the Fantasy Grounds software from? (Because that screen does not look right)
Can you show us a screen clip of the FG launch screen? (Windows key + Shift + S on Windows machines)

Make sure that you download the software from the main website, if possible; and use the default installation settings.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/FantasyGroundsUnity.php

If you're still having issues, feel free to reach out to our support guys too.
https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
March 13th, 2023, 03:42
I can't read the text on your screen shot. I think it's because the screen shot is from a phone?

At any rate, back to your original screenshot in this post, do you see a link to a Reference Manual?
Have you tried clicking on that link?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?77201-How-do-I-see-the-books-I-bought&p=681295&viewfull=1#post681295

Regards,
JPG

thobel
March 13th, 2023, 04:20
I can't read the text on your screen shot. I think it's because the screen shot is from a phone?

At any rate, back to your original screenshot in this post, do you see a link to a Reference Manual?
Have you tried clicking on that link?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?77201-How-do-I-see-the-books-I-bought&p=681295&viewfull=1#post681295

Regards,
JPG

Honesty the more I click around the more this feels like a 70's mainframe app It's just not that polished yet.

damned
March 13th, 2023, 05:10
Hi thobel can you share a screenshot of the text displayed in the chat window frame on the left hand side of the main screen?
Can you please go back to the launch screen an unselect the Theme Wood and try the Modules again.
Once you have Activated a product (like the Players Handboook) click on it in Modules and then click on Reference Manual
You can drag the link to the Reference Manual to one of the Hot Keys (eg 8, and then you can quickly access with F8 or by clicking the shortcut) for quick access.

LordEntrails
March 13th, 2023, 17:56
If you have/use Discord, jump on https://discord.gg/fantasygrounds and to the #fg_support (https://discord.com/channels/274582899045695488/692116657858150410) channel and see if there is someone who can help you resolve this real-time.

We are happy to help via the forums here, but it will probably be a lot easier and quicker via Discord support.

The Decepticon
March 14th, 2023, 01:48
Honesty the more I click around the more this feels like a 70's mainframe app It's just not that polished yet.

Can't say I see the similarities. I don't see where to place the maps or token in this picture.

thobel
March 14th, 2023, 01:54
https://images.app.goo.gl/XeaUvhJL35LGaZs59

damned
March 14th, 2023, 04:24
Hi thobel can you share a screenshot of the text displayed in the chat window frame on the left hand side of the main screen?
Can you please go back to the launch screen an unselect the Theme Wood and try the Modules again.
Once you have Activated a product (like the Players Handboook) click on it in Modules and then click on Reference Manual
You can drag the link to the Reference Manual to one of the Hot Keys (eg 8, and then you can quickly access with F8 or by clicking the shortcut) for quick access.

Mytherus
March 15th, 2023, 17:38
Can't say I see the similarities. I don't see where to place the maps or token in this picture.

Yeah I didn’t get that comment either. Been in IT 30 years and seen actual mainframes and AS400s I had to do backups on way back in the early days of my career, FGU is FAAAAAR different in a better way!