PDA

View Full Version : Can't access campaign after reinstall

RehorGMs
March 3rd, 2023, 13:36
Good morning! I had a complete meltdown of my iMac two weeks ago. Tech support was able to save my data, but the whole OS had to be reinstalled. I restored the FG files to the campaign folder, but am getting error messages that look like they are permissions related. I have given FG, FG Updater and FG Updater Engine apps all full disk access. When the OS was reinstalled, support gave the base user folder a different name than what it was originally, I say that because I wonder if it is important. The new home folder is "owner", it used to be "Allison"

iMac Retina 4K 2019
3GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
Radeon Pro 560X 4GB
Ventura 13.2.1

Logs attached here.

Thanks,
Allison

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2023, 13:52
The errors are all access denied errors - specifically to files in this directory: /Users/owner/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/campaigns/Reign of Winter

Make sure your user has full access to /Users/owner/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds - do this specifically at this level and not the full disk.

RehorGMs
March 3rd, 2023, 14:27
I gave read/write permission to this folder for all users (computer) but am still getting the access denied message. Is the user you are referring to a computer user or the username on the FG application? Thanks for the help!

Allison

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2023, 14:35
The directory I listed is in the "owner" user directories. Are you logged into the computer as the "owner" user ID or another user?

RehorGMs
March 3rd, 2023, 14:40
I'm logged into the owner profile, but the username is mine "Allison". After the re-install I couldn't get the home folder to rename to mine, just the login. The username does have full admin access and read/write to all of the FG folders.

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2023, 14:47
Please provide a screenshot (showing file details) of the files in the /Users/owner/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/campaigns/Reign of Winter directory.

RehorGMs
March 3rd, 2023, 14:57

Hoping that attaches. I'm headed off to work for the day, will pick this back up when I get home. Many thanks for the help!
Allison

Trenloe
March 3rd, 2023, 15:02
Thanks for the screenshot - the files look about the right size.

Could you take screenshots of the permissions for the following two files, and post the screenshots here:

/Users/owner/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/campaigns/Reign of Winter/campaign.xml
/Users/owner/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/campaigns/Reign of Winter/extensionstate.xml

You can see the file permissions for each file by carrying out the first 3 steps detailed here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1038/mac#:~:text=On%20your%20Mac%2C%20select%20the,to%2 0see%20the%20permissions%20settings.

RehorGMs
March 4th, 2023, 12:52
So I've got an interesting twist when I get into these permissions. There is a line for name that shows "Fetching" with the twirling Mac loading icon. It never loads anything. Since I had access to the backup, I went ahead and deleted that Name from the folder and each of the files you asked me to send screenshots of, but I still can't get into the campaign. Went ahead and re-restored it to original. Screen shots attached.

As always, thanks for your help!565685656956570

Trenloe
March 4th, 2023, 14:48
There's something weird going on there. This is all to do with the access rights on your Mac. Unfortunately I'm not a Mac expert, nor do I have a Mac to do testing. So we're going to have to rely on someone with more experience on a Mac to help out I'm afraid.

Trenloe
March 4th, 2023, 14:52
Assuming your user home directory is /Users/Allison, you could try to copy the FG backup files you have to /Users/Allison/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds and then change the FG settings for the Data Directory on the Advanced settings tab to point to /Users/Allison/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds