PDA

View Full Version : Mapping Services, a possibility?

energizerrabbit
January 7th, 2008, 05:31
Hello, I have made some very nice looking maps for my campaign, and I have had some players tell me I should sell them.

If I were to put together a website, selling these high quality maps at a reasonable price... (what is a reasonable price for a large map, say a 1000x1000 pixel image?)

Would you take advantage of this?

Astinus
January 7th, 2008, 06:29
In terms of maps for sale, I think the gold standard around here is Devin's work at Four Ugly Monsters. I've bought some of his tokens, including awesome custom made ones, but you can see his maps (and prices) here (https://fouruglymonsters.com/onlinestore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=87d2afefc55368009b1703cc5c479332).

They're typically about $5 a map pack. But to answer your question, I'm always on the look out for good wilderness maps and am prepared to pay for them if the price is right.

VenomousFiligree
January 7th, 2008, 06:58
In terms of maps for sale, I think the gold standard around here is Devin's work at Four Ugly Monsters. I've bought some of his tokens, including awesome custom made ones, but you can see his maps (and prices) here (https://fouruglymonsters.com/onlinestore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=87d2afefc55368009b1703cc5c479332).

They're typically about $5 a map pack. But to answer your question, I'm always on the look out for good wilderness maps and am prepared to pay for them if the price is right.
The maps at FUM are by snikle, devinnight just does the tokens. ;) :)

But yes, if the maps are good and priced correctly then I would consider buying them.

Any chance of some previews?

Also take a look at some of the content that is available for free (https://www.rpgvirtualtabletop.com/accessories.html)! :)

:)
MB

energizerrabbit
January 18th, 2008, 06:45
Sorry for the belated reply...

Well, I checked out the maps there at Four Ugly Monsters, and those are all like battle mats, it seemed. The maps I was thinking of releasing are more the kind of world maps. I have an old example which sort of shows my style, but I have since made revisions to make them look better.

link to example map (https://fc01.deviantart.com/fs16/f/2007/218/0/b/Annidur_Overland_B1_by_energizerrabbitx.jpg)

So these maps are a more kind of overhead style to give to the players, not maps to use during battles. I generally create big huge worlds, and these maps would come in sets, or it would be possible to purchase them one-by-one.

I wouldn't release overhead battle maps, as I don't want to compete with Four Ugly Monsters.

energizerrabbit
January 18th, 2008, 07:08
I just noticed that there are over 60 views on this thread. It would be very helpful if everyone who reads this to please at least just make a very fast post saying yes or no.

That alone would be EXTREMELY helpful!

Sigurd
January 18th, 2008, 07:20
I think, since you're potentially asking people to part with cash, that you have to take every none comment as a no.

The problem is you're dealing with a hobby and most people have very little they want to spend on it. Custom maps say as a service available to publishers might get you something like illustration rates.

I don't remember the sources but something inside me says $25 a half page. I'm not trying to bargain with you or anything but I think thats what I remember. At a guess, a map one off is probably going to get you $25 if you can find the business and protect the work.

I think most gamers would not pay that. Even if a map might take them 12 hours of fiddling they'll probably do that instead. They're gamers and its their relaxation time. Other gamers simply rework their world detail to fit a found map - it is fiction after all. I've also known lots of gamers that really dig making their own maps.

On the other hand, I imagine a lot of the afore mentionned gamers might stump up $5 for a pdf tutorial of how to make maps if it was well regarded.

I don't know what the competition is with free tutorials or how big a market you'd have.

There, thats my 0.02

Now with an opinion on the floor you'll have more people post. They'll say I'm right or wrong and they'll each be right :).

VenomousFiligree
January 18th, 2008, 07:22
I generally don't have a great need for world maps. Battle Maps yes, World Maps no.

:)
MB

Kalan
January 18th, 2008, 07:47
I'll echo what MB said - as the world maps I need are ones I feel I need to do, or the setting I use supplies them. That said - if it were for a setting I was designing, and I felt I didn't have the time to do my own maps, I _could_ see commissioning someone to do the maps for me.

That said, battle map style maps are definite in demand here I feel...whether or not people will part with their money, well that would be a risk you'd have to take.

energizerrabbit
January 18th, 2008, 08:27
Well, when I was thinking custom maps, I was thinking more like the overhead world map, that I already made. And maybe someone would be like, change the name, and I would, for free.

Sigurd
January 18th, 2008, 11:46
Well, your example is a beautiful map.

If you don't have to make money at this I'm sure there are lots of people who'd appreciate a little extra beauty in their campaign.

What I said about a tutorial still holds. I'm curious to see how you do them?

Photoshop?
Illustrator?

Gimp?

enquiring minds want to copy, er, know :)

Hamish
January 18th, 2008, 13:50
I'd probably buy some good encounter maps but, as stated above, I prefer to do the world map myself.

energizerrabbit
January 18th, 2008, 20:04
Well, your example is a beautiful map.
... What I said about a tutorial still holds. I'm curious to see how you do them? ...

Thanks Sigurd. I use 100% photoshop for these maps, and I have developed a method that allows me to make them very fast.

Another idea as spawned this morning...

What if I were to build the maps for everything you need for an Adventure. This would include an overland, some battle mats, and dungeons and everything, and then people would just have to add in the adventure, and have all the maps already made.

I figure people buy adventure books, and these map packs would be a lot cheaper, and would allow the DM to make up the adventure, but not bother with the maps. On top of this, the overland maps would come together, allowing people to grow the adventure into an entire campaign if they wanted.

How does that idea sound?

Griogre
January 18th, 2008, 20:58
I have to agree that people, especially at a for a site for a VTT, mostly want tactical maps. I think your idea of an overland area map with some dungeon and other tactical maps would work.

I trust you are not expecting to get rich off this, we are talking about a niche of a niche of a niche market here.

Hamish
January 19th, 2008, 21:04
That sounds like something I would buy, Mr Rabbit! I find it much easier to make up an adventure if I have a map than the other way around.

Oberoten
January 19th, 2008, 21:43
Yeah, that would work. :) I'd pay for it. And damn... *I* am CHEAP.

Dachannien
January 19th, 2008, 22:35
Your example map is very nice. :)

That said, I'm not really in the market for world or encounter maps. I already paid for Dundjinni, and I'll be derned if I don't get my money's worth ;)

energizerrabbit
January 20th, 2008, 08:48
Well, thanks for the input everyone. I am probably going to get an online store set up once I have a few more maps and let you guys know!

energizerrabbit
January 21st, 2008, 04:37
I had never made any other kind of map than overland, and now I just sat down and made one.. and I think that it came out sexy as can be. Here is a screenshot.

All previous posters should check your PM for a free high-res version of the map below, Thanks for taking the time to give input.

** Also, if anyone has any suggestions how these could be better, please tell me.
** Also! What size map do you guys think would be the maximum that you would ever need for a battle map. (pixels)