PDA

View Full Version : 5E Character Wizard Overview and bug reports

Zacchaeus
February 24th, 2023, 10:22
If you come across any issues with the character wizard, please report them in this thread. Please mention any steps that you took to arrive at the error with as much detail as possible.

For a video overview of the character wizard see here https://youtu.be/bpjwIDX-I3k

666gametime
February 24th, 2023, 14:09
Really like the new look of the character wizard. Dropdowns for sources of classes, races, etc is fantastic.

I am hoping you can clear some things up about the Abilities tab please -

1) When using the Dice Roll/Manual Entry option - is the intent for the player to manually add die rolls and then have the Character Wizard apply bonuses, or for the player to use the override box to input the total of a number manually rolled outside of FGU + manually calculated bonuses? If the former, there does not seem to be way to add just the die rolls. When using the override boxes, the racial bonuses etc. are not being added to the number in the override box. If the latter, does that mean the player will have to track all subsequent bonuses (ASI, feats, etc) manually as well?

2) The manual overrides made in the Abilities tab do not seem to be applied to the character when it is saved (using the same overrides as the screenshot above).

-- after hitting commit, the final save screen does not reflect the number that was entered in the override box in the abilities tab

-- after hitting "save" in the final save screen, the character sheet also does not reflect the number that was entered in the override box in the abilities tab

Zacchaeus
February 24th, 2023, 15:17
It's intended that if you are manually rolling dice outside FGU that you use the override. You would have to manually add in the racial bonuses since as you say the override ignores everything.

I can replicate the fact that the over ride is not carried into the summary or the character sheet. I'm sure Dominic will be on that as soon as he sees this.

Moon Wizard
February 24th, 2023, 22:40
I just made some CW adjustments for better theming support, and @superteddy57 provided a fix for the attribute override. I've pushed these changes as part of a hot fix.

Regards,
JPG

LokVahdin
February 25th, 2023, 22:03
This is a downgrade from the previous version of the Character Wizard. I am highly disappointed and dissatisfied with the new version of the character wizard.

1. I have the expectation if I want to enter my dice rolls manually, something you could do in the previous version, that I can enter them under the "Base" section. Not the override section, not the misc section with the values modified to account for the bloody 10s. Like you could in the Base section of the previous version. This above all is unacceptable to me. This is something that is allowed in roll20 and D&D Beyond. If I was judging on whether to purchase a license for this and spend as much money as I have on this, this alone would be a no-go.

2. The race selection also feels like a downgrade from the previous version of the character wizard, seriously. It was so clean in the previous version. now I have to go page by page to browse all the races? This might just be a preference, unlike the dice manual entry which should have been given.

3. Under the Class tab, when I increase the level beyond 1, it starts adding duplicates, triplicates, and way more of the class features. So far I've only tried this with Sorcerer.

To replicate:

Select Sorcerer
Select Devine Soul as the Sorcerous Origin
increase the level from 1 to (choose a number)
observe Divin Magic and Favored by the Gods is added again with each level increase

Really overall this just felt like a downgrade from the previous character wizard. It's not as clean, it feels clunky, and is just irratating.

superteddy57
February 25th, 2023, 22:25
Thanks for the feedback. I will add that duplication to my list to investigate.

LokVahdin
February 26th, 2023, 01:48
Found an issue: The Intelligence Misc box is disabled.
When attempting to enter a value into the Intelligence Misc box it doesn't highlight it. Nor does it remain highlighted when you click on the box. Attempting to enter a value into the field fails.

Steps to repro:
1. Start Character Wizard
2. Navigate to Abilities tab
3. Hover over Intelligence Misc field: result field is not highlighted
4. Click on the Intelligence Misc field: result field does not highlight
5. Enter a value after clicking the Intelligence Misc field: result no value is entered into the field

LokVahdin
February 26th, 2023, 02:19
Equipment Class Kit plus/minus sign does not change when clicked, does not expand category
Equipment Class Kit plus/minus sign does not change when the category heading for Class Kit is clicked. clicking the head does expand the section.

Steps to repro:
1. Start Character Wizard
2. Fill out Race, Class, Abilities, Background (I clicked Sage background)
3. Navigate to the Equipment Tab
4. click "Select Starting Kit": observe the plus sign in shown with the class kit section expanded
5. Select Choice #1 (Shortbow), Choice #2 (Crystal), and Choice #3 (Dungeoneer's pack): plus sign still shown
6. Click plus sign: plus sign changes to minus sign, class kit category remains open
7. Click minus sign: minus sign changes to plus sign, class kit category remains open
8. Click Category heading (any where clickable that doesn't click the + or -): category expands and collapses as expected, +/- signs do not change based on expanding and collapsing the category

56407 56408 56409

One thing to note, the plus/minus sign does seem to open and close Background Kit and Add Items categories when clicked. However the plus/minus sign does not change when clicking the heading Background Kit or Add Items.

superteddy57
February 27th, 2023, 04:37
Thanks for the report. I was able to locate the issue and will be available with the next round of updates.

philniv
February 27th, 2023, 05:25
FYI, I've found an issue with the wizard when adding the following backgrounds (they all involve a skill choice from a limited list of options):
Cloistered Scholar:
History is selected ok, but the 2nd skill dropdown is blank.
Faction Agent:
Insight is not automatically given as the first skill, and there are a total of 4 skill option dropdowns (should only be 2).
Inheritor:
Survival is selected ok, but there are 3 extra skill dropdowns (should only be one). They all display every skill rather than being linited to Arcana, History and Religion.
Knight of the Order:
Persuasion is selected ok, but the 2nd skill dropdown is blank.
Urban Bounty Hunter:
Has 4 skill dropdowns (should only be 2). All skills are listed in each dropdown, rather than being limited to Deception, Insight, Persuasion and Stealth.

Regards,
Phil Niven

superteddy57
February 27th, 2023, 06:05
MOD: Moved to bug report thread to keep things together to track the reports

Thank you for the report. I was able to locate the issue and it will be come available with the next update.

charmov
February 27th, 2023, 17:05
This is a downgrade from the previous version of the Character Wizard. I am highly disappointed and dissatisfied with the new version of the character wizard.

1. I have the expectation if I want to enter my dice rolls manually, something you could do in the previous version, that I can enter them under the "Base" section. Not the override section, not the misc section with the values modified to account for the bloody 10s. Like you could in the Base section of the previous version. This above all is unacceptable to me. This is something that is allowed in roll20 and D&D Beyond. If I was judging on whether to purchase a license for this and spend as much money as I have on this, this alone would be a no-go.

2. The race selection also feels like a downgrade from the previous version of the character wizard, seriously. It was so clean in the previous version. now I have to go page by page to browse all the races? This might just be a preference, unlike the dice manual entry which should have been given.

3. Under the Class tab, when I increase the level beyond 1, it starts adding duplicates, triplicates, and way more of the class features. So far I've only tried this with Sorcerer.

To replicate:

Select Sorcerer
Select Devine Soul as the Sorcerous Origin
increase the level from 1 to (choose a number)
observe Divin Magic and Favored by the Gods is added again with each level increase

Really overall this just felt like a downgrade from the previous character wizard. It's not as clean, it feels clunky, and is just irratating.

I'm afraid i have to agree with you @LokV. Having to scroll between equipment choices is a drag.

If i may ask, what was wrong with the old wizard?

Also, there seems to be an issue with the ability scores of the aasimar. Selecting scourge aasimar leaves the wisdom bonus while adding the correct Constitution and charisma bonus. This may also be the case with other races with subraces.

All in all it comes down to subjective preference and taste, but i prefer the old wizard!

superteddy57
February 27th, 2023, 17:15
Thanks for the report. That certainly fell through that the option of choosing the DMG Aasimar wouldn't provide a subrace option and that's where the wisdom bonus is coming from. I will investigate to get that separated.

LordEntrails
February 28th, 2023, 03:42
If i may ask, what was wrong with the old wizard?
Architecture. SuperTeddy had gotten the old one working pretty reliably, but it was created in such a way that it was very hard to continue adding capabilities too and probably would never be able to work with homebrew. Not that the new one can do homebrew well yet, but it has better potential and more importantly will be able to grow as new content is added.

Redfire
February 28th, 2023, 13:39
Character creation wizard has turned in to this:
Races tab:
Classes Tab:
Probably the worst part is that the spells tab is completely bugged:
I did add some extensions which I thought might be the reason but I created a new campaign with no extensions and regardless it is still not fixed.
I'd appreciate some help.

Moderator: Moved to new wizard thread.

Chivalrous1
February 28th, 2023, 13:53
I also found that the spell list on character creation as well as level up cannot be expanded when you make the screen larger. Have to go through so many pages. Especially if you have multiple source modules loaded.

Zacchaeus
February 28th, 2023, 14:07
Races tab:
Classes Tab:
I did add some extensions which I thought might be the reason but I created a new campaign with no extensions and regardless it is still not fixed.

The character wizard has been updated and improved. See the updated video twenty eight here on how to use it https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55797-How-do-I-in-Unity

superteddy57
February 28th, 2023, 14:43
I also found that the spell list on character creation as well as level up cannot be expanded when you make the screen larger. Have to go through so many pages. Especially if you have multiple source modules loaded.

It unfortunately won't expand to the edges as it needs to accommodate for multi-class. I have it on my list to find a better solution, but for now the filter buttons and the search can assist in finding the spell you wish to add.

Redfire
February 28th, 2023, 14:55
Thank you, there is one thing I noticed that seems wrong though. The fighting style does not have a choice. The wizard just gives you all of them and you have to manually remove it.

superteddy57
February 28th, 2023, 15:08
There is no mechanism to setup choices for actions to placed in the actions tab. At the moment it provides all of them instead of none.

superteddy57
February 28th, 2023, 15:15
Races tab:
Classes Tab:

Was able to locate the issue with the prepared spells and have a fix that will be pushed with the next update.

Chivalrous1
February 28th, 2023, 15:52
It unfortunately won't expand to the edges as it needs to accommodate for multi-class. I have it on my list to find a better solution, but for now the filter buttons and the search can assist in finding the spell you wish to add.

Is there a way to filter out the duplicate spells? :confused:

Zacchaeus
February 28th, 2023, 16:01
There isn't - other than not opening every book unless you need them. But once you select one then the others will also disappear from the list.

superteddy57
February 28th, 2023, 16:02
Duplicate spells ensures that a custom campaign spell is added to list or a specific spell that was modified for a module. It does remove all of the duplicates when a spell is selected to cut down on the list, but there really isn't another way to cut down on them to ensure all spells from every module loaded is available for selection. I have considered adding a module filter to there, but wasn't sure it would provide the desired of effect of helping with the duplication.

DungeonArchitect
March 9th, 2023, 23:53
Hi, when I level up a char and has a feat to add should that feat suppose to add and show in the Abilities Tab under Feats or I have to add it manually by drag after? Because I choose the feat from wizard (instead of ability improvement lets say) , commit but The Abilities tab under Feats is empty. (I run FG without extensions).

Camberme
March 10th, 2023, 00:46
I've had this same thing happen, posted video on discord. Can reproduce, bran new campaign, no extensions, not just fighter

superteddy57
March 10th, 2023, 01:30
Thank you for the report, will investigate.

wframe
March 10th, 2023, 13:47
I see it has been reported, but I can also confirm that if you add a feat using the wizard, it does not show up on the character sheet. I verified this both through character advancement and by generating a new character (human variant).

paladinesdragon
March 15th, 2023, 20:59
Character wizard Rogue Class > (Level 01) Thieves' Cant > Select Language: there is not an option in the dropdown for thieves cant.

superteddy57
March 15th, 2023, 21:07
The GM will need to make the thieves' cant language as the language list supplies the languages to the selection box.

Zacchaeus
March 15th, 2023, 21:37
Character wizard Rogue Class > (Level 01) Thieves' Cant > Select Language: there is not an option in the dropdown for thieves cant.

Thieves Cant is not a language per se. It's a feature of the class and appears in the abilities tab; so that's why there's no language to select.

superteddy57
March 15th, 2023, 21:40
True, but the character wizard was expanded a bit for homebrew in this area and the GM just needs to add the missing languages or even their own and when a language choice is available it will be selectable.

paladinesdragon
March 15th, 2023, 23:22
True, but the character wizard was expanded a bit for homebrew in this area and the GM just needs to add the missing languages or even their own and when a language choice is available it will be selectable.

Works great. Thank you!

Chivalrous1
March 16th, 2023, 16:18

Would an easier solution be to just make the spell list a separate tab completely?

superteddy57
March 16th, 2023, 16:37
The spell selection is tied to the class that selects it. This allows the same spell to be chosen with different casting ability and so forth. It cuts down on the action tab group configuring after character creation.

CPJ
March 17th, 2023, 20:46
Unable to select filter source for Race in character wizard... and hence unable to complete a new character.

Zacchaeus
March 17th, 2023, 21:11
Unable to select filter source for Race in character wizard... and hence unable to complete a new character.
If you are using the PHB (only) there is an error (introduced this morning) which meant that it was released without races. I've fixed the issue and it should get released soon.

DungeonArchitect
March 25th, 2023, 12:05
Hi! FG without extensions, only 5e PHB loaded. In Character Wizard all tab all ok except in equipment tab if someone enter a value in GP , SP or any coin field error throws after click 'select starting kit'
"charwizard_equipment.lua:23 bad argument #1 to 'pairs' "

superteddy57
March 25th, 2023, 17:27
It is very inconsistent, but I did add in a check to ensure the error does not appear. Will be available with the next update to the ruleset.

viviolay
April 1st, 2023, 12:55
I'm not sure if intentional - but I did not get an option to choose my ASI when adding a feat. (Observant) at the beginning with race. I feel like I remember this might've been a thing before.
I also cannot modify the base number in manual entry - again- not sure if intentional - I just know it worked in the prior version.
Steps to replicate are pretty much just attempting the above (adding a feat or attempting to adjust the base number for abilities.)

I also noticed if I switch to point buy so that the up/down arrows for abilities show up, then switch back to manual - some of the abilities retain the ability to manipulate via the up/down arrows.

Zacchaeus
April 1st, 2023, 13:43
I can replicate all of that; for the point buy you need to have adjusted at least one stat before changing back to another method to see the arrows.

One thing is that you can't manually adjust the base stat. If you want to manually enter a stat then use the override line.

viviolay
April 1st, 2023, 23:00
Oh, ran across another one today while leveling up my wizard.
Process: Hit level up from within the character sheet with my wizard. Click on the spells section. When I added new spells to my book, they don't get shown as selected the way cantrips did for me when I chose those. I did choose all my spells at once after getting the char to level 2, so I'm not sure if that may have affected things.
I also tried stretching out the window so that all the possible spells could be shown at once/see if it needed more space. But that did not help.
Finally it looks like part of the lettering was cut off in the first line of spells. (like 10%)

Stone804
April 14th, 2023, 21:12
HI, I'm FRUSTRATED:

Can you please bring back the old character building system/leveling, this new one is AWFUL. It's super confusing, you can't see what spells you already selected or already have. And since it takes away your character sheet you can't refer back to your character. It doesn't seem to let you apply your features, it just lets you look at them but then doesn't let you select them. You can add umpteenth spells way beyond your available slots. Many of the spells aren't available (for example cleric should have access to magic missile but doesn't, nor can it access the wizard cantrips if that's a feature you get as part of a special characteristic). Again doesn't show your known spells. It's unclear which spell levels you have available for each "prepared spells" limits. The "commit" screen doesn't show any of the things you've just selected to confirm you did it right. This whole thing is a mess... I'm a DM and I've been playing / using FGU for 3 years and even I can't figure out what my player should even have anymore. It also quadrupled spells for one character and now there's 28 of the same spell listed on their character sheet that I have to manually delete all of them (except one). Did you guys even play-test this with anyone before releasing it? The old leveler wasn't really that great but somehow you made it a lot worse...

I'm sorry if I sound like a jerk but we play every week and this is really affecting the game enjoyment because it's messed everyones character sheets up.

LordEntrails
April 14th, 2023, 21:57
HI, I'm FRUSTRATED:

Can you please bring back the old character building system/leveling, this new one is AWFUL. It's super confusing, you can't see what spells you already selected or already have. And since it takes away your character sheet you can't refer back to your character. It doesn't seem to let you apply your features, it just lets you look at them but then doesn't let you select them. You can add umpteenth spells way beyond your available slots. Many of the spells aren't available (for example cleric should have access to magic missile but doesn't, nor can it access the wizard cantrips if that's a feature you get as part of a special characteristic). Again doesn't show your known spells. It's unclear which spell levels you have available for each "prepared spells" limits. The "commit" screen doesn't show any of the things you've just selected to confirm you did it right. This whole thing is a mess... I'm a DM and I've been playing / using FGU for 3 years and even I can't figure out what my player should even have anymore. It also quadrupled spells for one character and now there's 28 of the same spell listed on their character sheet that I have to manually delete all of them (except one). Did you guys even play-test this with anyone before releasing it? The old leveler wasn't really that great but somehow you made it a lot worse...

I'm sorry if I sound like a jerk but we play every week and this is really affecting the game enjoyment because it's messed everyones character sheets up.
The original character generation method, drag and drop, is still functional.

If you mean the original Character Wizard, it had major architectural flaws that could not be resolved and I can't imaging it being made available.

I do agree that the current wizard has a lot of room for improvements. Myself I don't like how the die/ability tab works. And the second part is I've noticed that the spells selection part is.. unintuitive and allows you to move past it (green mark) without any indication you need to select spells.

But as for enforcing limits (like number of known spells), FG never does that. It allows for homebrew etc.

I do really like the idea of the Commit tab having a character overview, that would be great.

I plan on putting together a list of suggested improvement and adding them to the Wish List. I suggest you do the same :)
Idea Informer » Feedback 2.0 (https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/)

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2023, 22:08
You can still open your character sheet whilst the Level Up window shows; just open the sheet as normal from the character window. See my screenshot.

The Wizard doesn't limit the number of spells you can choose (as has always been the case). It also doesn't show the spells already chosen at a previous level in the wizard since the wizard doesn't know what spells are on the character sheet.

My commit screen shows what has been selected; see my screenshot. Are you running any extensions that might interfere with that screen?

I'm assuming that the Cleric having access to Magic Missile is via a Domain? If so Domain spells aren't shown on the wizard since those are just granted by the ability. You'll find the domain spells linked to the domain (Open the level window by clicking on the magnifying glass at the end of the line and then click on the domain link and then on the domain spells). Domain spells you would normally set up in a separate domain spell power group and the spells can be dragged in and dropped on that group from the list shown on the domain spell list).

I'm not sure why one of your players has 28 spells of the same spell. Once a spell is chosen from the list of available spells it is removed from the list that can be selected; so can't be selected again.

Stone804
April 15th, 2023, 22:49
You can still open your character sheet whilst the Level Up window shows; just open the sheet as normal from the character window. See my screenshot.

The Wizard doesn't limit the number of spells you can choose (as has always been the case). It also doesn't show the spells already chosen at a previous level in the wizard since the wizard doesn't know what spells are on the character sheet.

My commit screen shows what has been selected; see my screenshot. Are you running any extensions that might interfere with that screen?

I'm assuming that the Cleric having access to Magic Missile is via a Domain? If so Domain spells aren't shown on the wizard since those are just granted by the ability. You'll find the domain spells linked to the domain (Open the level window by clicking on the magnifying glass at the end of the line and then click on the domain link and then on the domain spells). Domain spells you would normally set up in a separate domain spell power group and the spells can be dragged in and dropped on that group from the list shown on the domain spell list).

I'm not sure why one of your players has 28 spells of the same spell. Once a spell is chosen from the list of available spells it is removed from the list that can be selected; so can't be selected again.

Thanks to both you and Lord Entrails for the prompt replies.

Between you and my friend I've been able to clean up the issues. Part of this is definitely the complexity of the cleric class and the double-classing the player did. I would like if they did a better job of designating which spells came from which thing, like if there were an indicator of where a particular spell came from (domain bonus, multi-class skill, etc.) like a small i (for info) in a circle and you hover over it and it just says "comes from Arcana Domain feature" or something like that.

I understand allowing for home-brew, but perhaps a "standard recommended spells" somewhere on the actual sheet would be helpful, because tracking the number of spells with all the bonuses etc is super tricky. Why even have a spell adder in the leveler if it doesn't have access to all the spells is sort of how I feel, that's confusing.

The features problem is an "I'm a doofus" thing. I was thinking it was a choice, but in fact it was a "you get all 3 of these" situation.

Learning curves... sigh... Thanks again!

superteddy57
April 16th, 2023, 00:29
The current version of the wizard has the same level of features as the previous version. The only thing that has changed is the foundation it was built on for future expansion from other projects in the works and the cleaning up of the visuals. The spell selection was there in the prior version and never worked right with that version. I cleaned out those parts that were incomplete and non-functional. The major issue related to spell selection is the actions tab has no way of tracking how a spell was acquired. So without imposing restrictions that would limit and cause more issues, it is a bit more free form. The features and traits that add spells are outside of the scope of the wizard at this time and will be addressed when we circle back to expand the feature.

Stone804
April 16th, 2023, 01:34
The current version of the wizard has the same level of features as the previous version. The only thing that has changed is the foundation it was built on for future expansion from other projects in the works and the cleaning up of the visuals. The spell selection was there in the prior version and never worked right with that version. I cleaned out those parts that were incomplete and non-functional. The major issue related to spell selection is the actions tab has no way of tracking how a spell was acquired. So without imposing restrictions that would limit and cause more issues, it is a bit more free form. The features and traits that add spells are outside of the scope of the wizard at this time and will be addressed when we circle back to expand the feature.

Thanks for the background info and all the hard work. I know that building a system (and also clearing bugs and old code) is a lot. Thanks for continued improvement.

paladinesdragon
May 3rd, 2023, 17:43
FYI - The bard class gets tool proficiency in three musical instruments; only one dropdown shows up in the character wizard.

superteddy57
May 3rd, 2023, 21:06
Thank you for the report. I'll have a look. Which module was it from or was it all of them?

Zacchaeus
May 3rd, 2023, 21:29
Thank you for the report. I'll have a look. Which module was it from or was it all of them?

I confirmed just with the PHB open.

Vass_Dts
June 2nd, 2023, 20:21
Character Creation wizard bug involving the Artificer class from Tasha's.

During Character Creation and/or level up, the Character Wizard treats the Artificer as a full caster instead of a half-caster. For instance, an artificer shouldn't be prompted to select 2nd Level Spells when they hit 3rd level (as a wizard would). Instead, they should be prompted to do so when they reach level 5 (like a paladin).

The character sheet itself however does display the correct number and level of spell slots. :)

superteddy57
June 5th, 2023, 16:11
I was able to locate the issue and will have a fix for this report. As the ruleset is currently in lockdown, it may take some time for the update to be pushed LIVE.

Tave
June 6th, 2023, 18:43
What do you mean when you say "the ruleset is currently in lockdown"? Is 5E no longer allowed to be updated?

Zacchaeus
June 6th, 2023, 19:31
What do you mean when you say "the ruleset is currently in lockdown"? Is 5E no longer allowed to be updated?

It means that the next version of the ruleset is in TEST; and until that process finishes there will not be any updates to the Live version. Once the test period is over then the ruleset will move to live. It just means that amendments to the ruleset won't be live as quickly as it might be if there wasn't a major update on the horizon.

See here for further details https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?77868-Beta-Release-2023-06-Ruleset-Updates

superteddy57
June 6th, 2023, 19:32
The update that is currently in the TEST channel has many changes that affect many rulesets. A lot of foundation changes and new features that currently can't be pushed LIVE without the full update. Thus, the ruleset is currently not able to be available LIVE till the TEST version goes LIVE.

Vass_Dts
June 6th, 2023, 23:35
Super cool. Whenever you're ready. I'm in no rush. :P I've been meaning to post this since February actually (I have an artificer in my party), but I kept forgetting. :P :P :P

Tave
June 7th, 2023, 02:02
Thanks for the clarification on the lockdown. I got worried for a minute with all the stuff going on with D&D recently - thought maybe Wizards was pulling some shenanigans.

tslewis123
August 5th, 2023, 08:21
I made a rogue character and noticed that it only got one dagger. It says that rogues are supposed to get two daggers, and it even says two daggers when selecting starting equipment, but only one dagger appears in my character's inventory. Why does it only add one dagger instead of two?

Zacchaeus
August 5th, 2023, 09:51
I made a rogue character and noticed that it only got one dagger. It says that rogues are supposed to get two daggers, and it even says two daggers when selecting starting equipment, but only one dagger appears in my character's inventory. Why does it only add one dagger instead of two?

This will be a bug in the Character Wizard so I've moved your post into the CW bugs thread.

tslewis123
August 5th, 2023, 19:59
I tried manually adding a second dagger to my character's inventory, but it still only shows one dagger equipped in the weapons section of the actions tab. I then tried dragging and dropping a dagger into the actions tab, but it still didn't show a second dagger in my weapons. This really should be fixed so players can dual-wield two of the same weapon.

Zacchaeus
August 5th, 2023, 20:29
If you add a dagger to the inventory (by manually dragging one in or via the Character Wizard) you should get two dagger weapon lines in the actions tab; one for thrown and one for melee. By clicking on the thrown symbol you can change that to melee and by clicking on the hand symbol you can change it to off-hand. So, with some manual intervention you'll get your two weapon lines for main and off hand (You can also edit the names in the actions tab if you like and you can add another dagger and it will create two more weapon lines)

Nyarly Dude
August 5th, 2023, 22:37
In practice, unless the weapons have different properties or the ruleset were changed to automatically track bonus action usage for two-weapon fighting, it doesn't actually matter. 5E doesn't have primary hand/off-hand modifiers, so attacking with dagger #1 in one hand is completely identical to an attack with dagger #2 in the other hand.

In other words, you only need one entry. Just use it for both attacks. Use a separate button to add the appropriate sneak attack damage bonus that expires on the next roll, and use it as appropriate.

tslewis123
August 5th, 2023, 22:52
If you add a dagger to the inventory (by manually dragging one in or via the Character Wizard) you should get two dagger weapon lines in the actions tab; one for thrown and one for melee. By clicking on the thrown symbol you can change that to melee and by clicking on the hand symbol you can change it to off-hand. So, with some manual intervention you'll get your two weapon lines for main and off hand (You can also edit the names in the actions tab if you like and you can add another dagger and it will create two more weapon lines)

I tried what you suggested and found out that I can't equip them separately. Equipping one automatically equips the other, and vice versa. That makes it impossible to equip one dagger and one other weapon. Is there a way to get around that?

Laerun
August 6th, 2023, 08:24
I tried what you suggested and found out that I can't equip them separately. Equipping one automatically equips the other, and vice versa. That makes it impossible to equip one dagger and one other weapon. Is there a way to get around that?

Use the single dagger as mentioned below with the "O" for off handed attacks when necessary and applicable. If you have another weapon equipped, use it in conjunction with your dagger attack. If you are attacking with two daggers, you will use the same equipped dagger and just toggle the damage as required. There's no need to complicate the action tab weapons. The inventory mainly allows you to equip, manage, and track weight. Two daggers in your inventory would equate to two amo if you intend to throw the daggers. If it's that critical to display two separate daggers independently of each other just add one with an edited weapon name like Left and Right weapon labels in your inventory tab.

Zacchaeus
August 6th, 2023, 09:17

Yes, as I said above; if you rename the weapons in the actions tab you can add another dagger. However unless you have a real burning need to continually equip and un-equip weapons just change the attack type and the hand icon so that one dagger fulfils both your main and off hand attack. If you are dual wielding two weapons of the same name you will need to rename one of them so that the second one appears. But with daggers you can do both with one weapon.

stoehovve
August 19th, 2023, 17:07
Theres an issue with the character wizard when attempting to level up a Barbarian using the "Path of the Giant" primal path. Their level 6 feature called Elemental Cleaver does not appear in the listing of features gained within the CW panel:

Seems like it also happens at level 10:

And the same at level 14, and yes this worked at level 3 when my test character gained their level 3 features.

Zacchaeus
August 19th, 2023, 18:12
I see that but I can't explain why. I don't think it's a problem with the module so I've moved this to CW bugs so Dominic can have a look.

superteddy57
August 19th, 2023, 22:08
I have pushed a fix to be pushed with the next TEST version update. Until the ruleset is no longer in lockdown will it go LIVE.

Halahad
September 8th, 2023, 09:46
Hello. When choosing a specialization, is it possible to somehow read what kind of specialization it is, what ability are in it, etc? Like about race.

For example, if you click on “dwarf” in character wizard, a window will open with complete information on this race. It is very convenient for players, especially beginners.
I mean, this one click vs three clicks, when player need to get information about specialization (Classes tab click> "searching right book" click> specialization click)
For example, if you choose specialization "Path of Wild Magic" for barbarian at level 3 you need to go in Classes tab, then you need to search right barbarian souce (Tasha), next step you need scroll down to all specialization, and only then you can find information about Path of Wild Magic.

Zacchaeus
September 8th, 2023, 14:16
No, there's no link in the character wizard drop box for the specializations that you can pick. You can see the full class details by clicking on the hyper link to the class in the class page when you first select a class. You can also click on the magnifying glass at the end of the class line in the character sheet to open the class (you can also open the specialisation from there as well if the character already has one).

Halahad
September 8th, 2023, 18:07
Is there a chance that a hyperlink directly to the specialization will appear in the future? Maybe make the choice of subclass in the same way as choosing a race/class? To be able to insert a hyperlink into the title.
The methods you suggested are still quite cumbersome.
For example: The player clicks on the barbarian class with the source filter selected Tasha's couldron for player. He will see only those specializations that are presented specifically in this book. In order to see other specializations, the player still needs to select each book in the filter and view the specializations separately.

superteddy57
September 8th, 2023, 18:18
We love hearing feedback from the community, and this will be added to my notes for future plans. There is no plans at this time for expansion.

Halahad
September 8th, 2023, 18:24
Thanks a lot. I really hope that this will be done someday, because it will make life much easier for both players and GMs :)

Halahad
September 24th, 2023, 01:49
I noticed something. When selecting a class in the character wizard, a player need to select the source of class correctly. For example:
A player creates a Sorcerer. There are 4 sources in total: PHB, SCAG, TASHA, XGtE. For example, a player wants to create a sorcerer with a Draconic bloodline specialization. To do this, he must select a sorcerer specifically from the PHB source, otherwise, all the features for this specialization will not appear on his sheet and will not be added with a level increase. This also applies to other classes which specializations is not selected at the first levels. What I'm getting at is that if you don't know about it and notice it too late, you can get stuck fixing it for quite some time. Is there any workaround for this?
Or should I ask players to decide on specialization EARLY so that they choose the right source when creating a character?

Chivalrous1
September 24th, 2023, 04:18
I noticed something. When selecting a class in the character wizard, a player need to select the source of class correctly. For example:
A player creates a Sorcerer. There are 4 sources in total: PHB, SCAG, TASHA, XGtE. For example, a player wants to create a sorcerer with a Draconic bloodline specialization. To do this, he must select a sorcerer specifically from the PHB source, otherwise, all the features for this specialization will not appear on his sheet and will not be added with a level increase. This also applies to other classes which specializations is not selected at the first levels. What I'm getting at is that if you don't know about it and notice it too late, you can get stuck fixing it for quite some time. Is there any workaround for this?
Or should I ask players to decide on specialization EARLY so that they choose the right source when creating a character?

I would think that the easiest way to resolve this would be to combine all entires into one so that you actually only have 1 source to choose from. I have also noticed that when creating a character, the class abilities will actually all show up. Example, I created an Cleric for an NPC (I used the character Wizard and just created it as if it were a PC, and every Domain specials were added from all domains, from all books.

superteddy57
September 24th, 2023, 05:43

It should be working the same for specialization for each of those classes. So the second part of the process should be the same no matter the one selected as they share the same name for the base class. I will check on it and see if I can replicate what you are seeing.

I would think that the easiest way to resolve this would be to combine all entires into one so that you actually only have 1 source to choose from. I have also noticed that when creating a character, the class abilities will actually all show up. Example, I created an Cleric for an NPC (I used the character Wizard and just created it as if it were a PC, and every Domain specials were added from all domains, from all books.

All sources are provided, as a popular request, to pick a record from a particular source. Not all sources could have the same features or even the same bonuses as another source. An example would be the UA material or a third party supplement. This is geared towards making RAW, homebrew, and 5E compatible products stand side by side. Combining them would only make one available and not have the option of choosing any of the others. So providing all of them will allow the player to choose the exact one that they intended to use. We do provide filters to help cut down on the duplication and a search control as well.

Zacchaeus
September 24th, 2023, 08:53

This can't be done because it would break every character ever created since the links to the specializations would not be where they were expected to be. It's possible to do this now for more recent books since specializations are separate from the classes. However before that specializations were tied to the class; hence the need to replicate the full class in each book where there were new specializations.

Weepdrag
October 4th, 2023, 19:46
Is there a way to select from a list of FEATS in the current incarnation of the Character Wizard? If so, what would the syntax look like? I can see the "You gain one FEAT of your choice" , but how how to say "You gain one FEAT from 'this list'" is the question.

Thanks for any replies

superteddy57
October 4th, 2023, 20:22
Depends on the record type. If this is for races the title for the trait should just say Feat and the text should follow similar to how variable human is setup. If it's for a class, then it won't work as those are hard-coded to the naming of the feature. But there is no way to feed only a certain set of feats.

Weepdrag
October 4th, 2023, 20:54
Thanks for the quick reply,
This was for racial feats that the player is getting a choice of. I sort of used the variant Human as a template but it allows ANY feat from the list unfiltered.
Thanks again, we'll do that manually

Weepdrag
October 7th, 2023, 22:13
Are languages hard coded for Humans in the Character Wizard? It doesn't matter what I put in as racial traits (Human Sub-Races), Character Wizard gives back Common and one extra language of your choice. I haven't checked the other Sub-Races to see if their languages are locked in as well. It would seem to defeat the reason for having languages in the Racial Traits for a Race.
The languages have been created and I'm using the following syntax on the Sub-Class Traits:
You can speak, read, and write Zahind and Suh and Ancient Baklunish.

Character Wizard returns Common and a "Pick One" pull-down

Thanks in advance

superteddy57
October 7th, 2023, 22:27
Languages pull from the language list of the campaign. If you want a new language available, then one would have to be added there as well as within the trait itself.

Weepdrag
October 7th, 2023, 22:41
I added the languages into the campaign. but it still ignores the sub-race trait. Does the Character Wizard read the RACE first and take that result, disregarding the SUB-RACE language information?

Try creating a Human sub-race that ONLY speaks Elvish (NO COMMON) and try to create a character, you'll see what I mean.

BTW, this in 5E ruleset.

superteddy57
October 7th, 2023, 22:43
I will have to look it over on Tuesday, but it factors races and sub-races exactly the same. If it see's a trait named Languages, it parses it and tries to pull out the request from the text. I'm not near my computer at this time to verify, but wanted to relay the logic.

Weepdrag
October 7th, 2023, 22:46
Thanks, I'm going to try and remove the Language information from the HUMAN (Race) and see what happens.

*** UPDATE ***
With the Languages information removed from the RACE (Human), the Character Wizard reads the Sub-Race Language information as it should. Having the information in the RACE does appear to block any further reading of the Sub-Race Language information.

LordEntrails
October 7th, 2023, 22:51
Capitalization matters

Weepdrag
October 7th, 2023, 22:57
Yep, all capitalization is in place. As I posted previously, once the Language Trait was removed from the RACE (Human), it all works fine.

Weepdrag
October 7th, 2023, 22:59
Now I just need to figure out if there is an "OR" statement for Languages as well as an "AND"

Correction, I guess the "AND" isn't available either.:cry:

The syntax:
"You can speak, read and write XXX", where XXX is a list of languages. The list of languages is separated by "and ", doesn't seem to apply

Akio Reika
November 6th, 2023, 00:29
SUPPORT-23906 Eberron Rising From the Last War causing spells not to be on the selectable list at character creation.

I was sent by support here to post this issue. When I load the Eberron Rising from the Last War book into a campaign, it causes spells in various class spell lists to not have all of the available spells for selection during character creation or the level up tab after the character is created. When I unload the Eberron book the spells go back to normal. I tested this with the Artificer at character creation and I have attached the screen shots of the spell lists available when both Tasha's and Eberron are loaded, when Eberron and not Tasha's is loaded, and when Tasha's and not Eberron is loaded. Is there a fix for this?

Zacchaeus
November 6th, 2023, 10:36
I've identified an issue with the spell lists in Eberron which I think is the cause of this problem. I've fixed it and submitted new files which should get released shortly.

Akio Reika
November 8th, 2023, 05:31
Thanks for looking into it @Zacchaeus! You guys are great!

Metlore
November 21st, 2023, 05:39
Ruleset: 5E
FGU: latest Version
Extensions FR Languages, D&D theme
Modules Loaded: PHB, DMG, MM

Make a character using Character wizard. I selected Dragonborn, Acolyte, Cleric, and selected to choose my equipment from the options list

Character sheet does not get populated with my starting gold from my background, but it used to. Is this intended? I even tried a fresh campaign and same result.

superteddy57
November 21st, 2023, 05:55
5E ruleset is currently on lockdown due to the latest BETA build on TEST. I used that version to try and replicate, but was not able to get the same results as you have. I attempted also both methods of using the kits and starting wealth option. Both added the gold from the equipment tab to the sheet when I committed. I might need more information on the steps you took.

Metlore
November 21st, 2023, 06:39
5E ruleset is currently on lockdown due to the latest BETA build on TEST. I used that version to try and replicate, but was not able to get the same results as you have. I attempted also both methods of using the kits and starting wealth option. Both added the gold from the equipment tab to the sheet when I committed. I might need more information on the steps you took.

Do you have to manually type the gold from your background in the equipment tab or should it automatically populate with the gold? In past character wizard versions, it would automatically add the gold.

superteddy57
November 21st, 2023, 06:43
It should populate once you have selected either the kit button or the starting wealth button. Starting wealth will give access to another button to roll your starting wealth that should enter in the result (plus your background gold) into the GP box in the wizard. If nothing is displayed in that box then it won't add any gold once committed.

dark909f
November 21st, 2023, 06:52
When I go into the Abilities tab, this error shows up and i can't edit my abilities, none of the methods will work.

Metlore
November 21st, 2023, 07:02
It should populate once you have selected either the kit button or the starting wealth button. Starting wealth will give access to another button to roll your starting wealth that should enter in the result (plus your background gold) into the GP box in the wizard. If nothing is displayed in that box then it won't add any gold once committed.

The starting wealth works exactly as intended but my gold never populates from my selected background if I select the kit option. My only extensions in a fresh campaign is the Forgotten Realms language and the D&D theme.

dark909f
November 21st, 2023, 07:52
ok never mind, i figured out what was wrong, it was an extension conflict.

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2023, 09:03

It doesn't appear to be working in the current live build. No starting gold is added it I select a Kit; it is added if I select starting wealth. It does however work on the Test build - so whatever the problem is it's been fixed :)

Metlore
November 21st, 2023, 10:02
It doesn't appear to be working in the current live build. No starting gold is added it I select a Kit; it is added if I select starting wealth. It does however work on the Test build - so whatever the problem is it's been fixed :)

Thanks both you and superteddy for investigating.

meadegendar
December 16th, 2023, 15:55
Not sure if this has been posted already, but If a sorcerer picks Divine Soul, they should have access to the Cleric spell list. In the CW, it did not show any spells from that list. Obviously, I had to drag those spells to my player's sheet. Not a biggie, just wanted to point that out.

superteddy57
December 16th, 2023, 16:13
Unfortunately there is not mechanism at this time to provide other spell lists based on archetype chosen. It's based on the base class. An expansion is being looked at to provide more options.

tslewis123
December 22nd, 2023, 02:43
For some reason, the character wizard doesn't provide all of the proficiencies available to some backgrounds. For example, the criminal background is supposed to give proficiency with one gaming set and thieves' tools. Instead, it adds thieves' tools to a list of gaming sets and makes you pick from it. You're supposed to get both proficiencies, not either/or. The soldier and folk hero backgrounds do the same thing with land vehicle proficiency. They should really fix that in a future update.

superteddy57
December 22nd, 2023, 13:29
I verified this and have pushed a fix in for review.

tslewis123
December 24th, 2023, 20:05
Thanks. Unfortunately, the criminal background still doesn't let you pick a different tool proficiency if you already have proficiency in thieves' tools.

Zacchaeus
December 24th, 2023, 20:16
Thanks. Unfortunately, the criminal background still doesn't let you pick a different tool proficiency if you already have proficiency in thieves' tools.

I don't think the fix has been released yet.

Moon Wizard
December 25th, 2023, 00:37
All changes are in Live; so we’ll have to look in the new year, since superteddy57 is out next week.

Regards,
JPG

tslewis123
December 25th, 2023, 18:37
The Harper Agent background has an extra skill proficiency box. It gives you insight and two other skills instead of insight and one other skill. Also, the languages tab for the MotM Lizardfolk race is completely empty.

adisonunsworth
January 15th, 2024, 01:38
I tried to make a character in the Character Wizard with the oath of devotion and it provides a warning when choosing a subclass. Is there a common mistake made or is this a normal bug that people deal with.

superteddy57
January 15th, 2024, 02:04
A fix for this is ready for the next update for the ruleset.

tslewis123
February 7th, 2024, 04:42
The criminal background doesn't let you pick a different tool proficiency if you already have proficiency with thieves' tools.

Moderator: Moved to CW bug reports

Zacchaeus
February 7th, 2024, 14:37
I think this is correct. The Criminal background allows for proficiency in one type of gaming set and Thieves Tools. It doesn't go on to say if you are already proficient in thieves tools select another proficiency. Therefore I think it's thieves tools or nothing. So if you know you are going to select the criminal background I'd suggest not taking thieves tools as a proficiency elsewhere else.

superteddy57
February 7th, 2024, 17:19
The criminal background doesn't let you pick a different tool proficiency if you already have proficiency with thieves' tools.

Moderator: Moved to CW bug reports

Thank you for the report, I'll look into it.

tslewis123
February 7th, 2024, 18:13
I think this is correct. The Criminal background allows for proficiency in one type of gaming set and Thieves Tools. It doesn't go on to say if you are already proficient in thieves tools select another proficiency. Therefore I think it's thieves tools or nothing. So if you know you are going to select the criminal background I'd suggest not taking thieves tools as a proficiency elsewhere else.

Aren't you supposed to be able to pick a different tool proficiency if you get it from another source, like if your background gives you a tool proficiency that your class already gives you?

Zacchaeus
February 7th, 2024, 18:15
Aren't you supposed to be able to pick a different tool proficiency if you get it from another source, like if your background gives you a tool proficiency that your class already gives you?

I don't know if there is a rule to that effect or not; I allow such things but have always considered it a house rule. But there may be one that allows it.

tslewis123
February 7th, 2024, 19:46
It actually is a rule. According to the personality and background section of the Player's Handbook, "If a character would gain the same proficiency from two different sources, he or she can choose a different proficiency of the same kind (skill or tool) instead."

superteddy57
February 7th, 2024, 19:49
It actually is a rule. According to the personality and background section of the Player's Handbook, "If a character would gain the same proficiency from two different sources, he or she can choose a different proficiency of the same kind (skill or tool) instead."

I agreed and mentioned I will have a look at the code to make sure it's functioning as it was intended to do. Thieve's Tools has been a problem child as of late due to it being an odd duck in the grand scheme of things within the character creation process. I will take a look at it and see if the system will honor the initial intention. The other skills and proficiencies function as such and this should follow suit.

Lo Zeno
March 8th, 2024, 00:09
When creating a character with the Planar Philosopher background (from Planescape), the Character Wizard makes you select three skills: Arcana, plus two more.
This is wrong: the text of the Planar Philosopher says:
Skill proficiencies: Arcana, the skill associated with your faction, or one skill of your choice.
That's an OR, not an AND. The background should allow only to have Arcana and a second skill. The "or one skill of your choice" is meant to be used by characters who do not subscribe to one established Sigil faction but belong to a minor philosophy or a sect outside of Sigil.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60037&d=1709856495

Roadpig921
March 11th, 2024, 19:58
Good day

Game: DND 5e
Adventure: Sleeping Dragon's Wake
Addons: Clear Dead, Friend Zone

During the last level up. the two players who had assets from Xanathar's Guide kept getting an error when trying to level up. All of the other players had no issue. I checked and we all had Xanathar's installed and loaded, I made everyone unload and reload the book and rebooted the program. Still no ability to level up. Both PCs are multiclassed if that makes a difference.

The error we are getting is:
Unable to import. Unable to open class record(s) not loaded.
'Warlock' - (DD Xanathar's Guide to Everything Players)

I just tried to create a new character using the character creator using Xanathar's hexblade subclass and it created a character no issue during creation and during level up.

Please advise.

Zacchaeus
March 11th, 2024, 20:02
Good day

During the last level up. the two players who had assets from Xanathar's Guide kept getting an error when trying to level up. All of the other players had no issue. I checked and we all had Xanathar's installed and loaded, I made everyone unload and reload the book and rebooted the program. Still no ability to level up. Both PCs are multiclassed if that makes a difference.

I just tried to create a new character using the character creator using Xanathar's hexblade subclass and it created a character no issue during creation and during level up.

Please advise.

When I updated Xanathar I chamged the way archetypes work to follow the new method (that is the specializations are in their own window class); therefore I think that will confuse the character wizard. You can still level up however via drag and drop.

superteddy57
March 15th, 2024, 16:12
Good day

Please advise.

Can you post a copy of any character that is experiencing this prior to attempting to level up? I need it for testing for new code to fix this issue.

superteddy57
March 17th, 2024, 05:54
I was able to see where the problem may be. I have pushed a fix for review and should be available with the next ruleset update.

Moon Wizard
March 20th, 2024, 02:00
The update @superteddy57 mentioned is now in the patch system. Please run a new Check for Updates, and try again.

Regards,
JPG

adminwheel3
April 20th, 2024, 18:23
I may have overlooked if this already exists, but if not it would be useful to have a summary of expected behavior/known issues broken down by selection box (Race, Class, etc) so the end user doesn't have to read through this thread to see if what they're experiencing is a bug.

For example:

Class
"There is not mechanism at this time to provide other spell lists based on archetype chosen. It's based on the base class."
Abilities
"It's intended that if you are manually rolling dice outside FGU that you use the override."
Adding feats which increase ability scores is not reflected here and must be added manually.
Misc
"There is no mechanism to setup choices for actions to placed in the actions tab. At the moment it provides all of them instead of none."

superteddy57
April 20th, 2024, 18:26
No, there is no list as the feature gets adjusted over time and not in it's final form. It may go through another iteration after this next dev cycle and that list would be moot.

LordEntrails
April 20th, 2024, 19:29
I may have overlooked if this already exists, but if not it would be useful to have a summary of expected behavior/known issues broken down by selection box (Race, Class, etc) so the end user doesn't have to read through this thread to see if what they're experiencing is a bug.

Agree it would be useful. But maintaining such would be tedious, time consuming and a poor use of developer time. My experience shows that once a user gets used to things, it becomes pretty apparent what is there etc. But if a user like me or you wanted to put this together and maintain it, It would happily be stickied on the forums.

My approach is after creating a character or leveling, I first review what shows up in the chat as having been added to the character. Make sure any automation or changes are done the way I want them to be done (such as adding actions, altering scores, etc.). Then go through the abilities tab and make sure everything there is complete as well.

Laerun
April 22nd, 2024, 22:38
With an evolving ruleset, Fantasy Grounds changes, extensions update, and user preferences vary, there is no good way to maintain such an active or current list, or even detailed instructions. By the time anither user finds the guides, they are outdated.
I personally ran into this trying to maintain various character creation manuals. Back in FG Classic times, there were not as many changes or evolutions, so even then it was hard to manage.
It comes down to just using the platform and evolving with it and all of the changes and nuances. And, which does come down to reading through posts, trying things for yourself, finding workarounds, and potentially asking questions, making suggestions, or deciding if chasing updates is worth one's time or efforts.

The Fantasy Grounds VTT platform is never "one and done", especially lately, right now it's being standardized, optimized, updated, fixed, and added to.
Using the app more, exploring the limitations, finding bugs, and seeing the benefits is part of any VTT.