PDA

View Full Version : Some ideas

alloowishus
February 22nd, 2023, 18:21
Yes, I know there is a wish list, but I was just wondering what people thought of these ideas:

Combat tracker has a spot to enter in what characters are doing for the round, which gets cleared every time their character is passed using the "Next actor" button.

Combat tracker has a real time clock that will increment the round automatically after a configurable amount of time.

LordEntrails
February 22nd, 2023, 18:38
CT notes field. Depends on the ruleset. I can see this in some of the older TSR games (like Star Frontiers) where players are supposed to declare their actions. But not in newer games like 5E because there is nothing RAW that this would be needed for. Besides, as a work around, just create an effect and update it each round.

As for the real-life clock, no. That is something very few tables do, and is almost against the core concepts in most RPGs. There is currently at least one "timer" extension for FG that can have a turn clock or timer to give each player a certain amount of time for their round, but imo that's table management at a level I would not like.

That said, these are good ideas for extensions, but, imo not for incorporation in the core product. (But, if you add them to the wish list, then others can vote.)

Zacchaeus
February 22nd, 2023, 19:16
As LE says there's some ruleset dependency here since not all are the same.

I'm not sure that the first one is feasible in 5e at any rate. I'm assuming that you have tick boxes for attack, move, etc. If you take a simple example of a 5th level fighter who has Haste cast on them - they could move; attack; move again; take another attack; move again; have a third attack; take a bonus action; use second wind; and do everything all over again. To cater for that you'd need a plethora of tick boxes and you'd spend more time ticking them that anything else. So I don't really see the point - unless I am missing your point as to how something like this would work.

And I agree with LE on the second one. If players taking too long is an issue then you need to speak to the players and discuss how you resolve that issue. I'd not want things on a timer; some situations might take a while for players to work out a strategy and figure out what the want to do. And things could change during the round which can throw a plan out of the window. Of course if you don't like your players making strategies then a timer might just be the thing. So as long as it's an option then I have no problem; but I'd not want it otherwise.

damned
February 23rd, 2023, 04:33
I dont normally use a Combat Timer - but do if I have a player or three who are not paying as much attention between turns as they ought to - but I find it very effective when I do it - it keeps things moving along and makes players pay attention before their turn.

alloowishus
February 23rd, 2023, 14:33
I dont normally use a Combat Timer - but do if I have a player or three who are not paying as much attention between turns as they ought to - but I find it very effective when I do it - it keeps things moving along and makes players pay attention before their turn.

Sorry to be clear, the timer would be for everything outside of combat. I know the CT is meant only for combat, however it is the only way to keep track of things that have duration, like effects and spells etc. So I often increment it outside of combat just to keep track of these things.

I could just use a timer on my phone and manually do it every round, but it would be nicer if it was built in.

Ludd_G
February 23rd, 2023, 15:09
Hi,

I have this extension set up so with a double click I can advance the game time by either 10 minutes or an hour, which works for automatically ending spells, ending conditions, extinguishing torches etc. It also gives a readout for the the players in the chat box as to the time advancing.

It does a lot more than this as well, but for my table this is what we use it for.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57561-Utility-Clock-Adjuster

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Simon

alloowishus
February 24th, 2023, 17:49
Hi,

I have this extension set up so with a double click I can advance the game time by either 10 minutes or an hour, which works for automatically ending spells, ending conditions, extinguishing torches etc. It also gives a readout for the the players in the chat box as to the time advancing.

It does a lot more than this as well, but for my table this is what we use it for.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57561-Utility-Clock-Adjuster

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Simon

Tried it, thanks, but I don't it works with my ruleset (Rolemaster Classic).