PDA

View Full Version : Bug: Mutliclassing spellcaster, using spell slots

Zarestia
February 22nd, 2023, 14:20
This happened with a new character I play in 5E and I could recreate this issue in a new campaign.

Tested in LIVE, 5E new campaign, no extensions, only PHB used.

1. Create a character with Sorcerer 1/Cleric 1/Bard 6 (I'm sure this happens with other mutliclass spellcasters as well, but I can't test everything)
2. Add spells from Level 1-3 (due to multiclassing rules you have level 4 slots but no level 4 spells)
3. Use spell slots
4. When in combat mode, the different power groups for different spell levels don't automatically hide. I can still see level 3 spells though I don't have any level 3 spell slots left.

Attached is an example character you can test with.

Zacchaeus
February 22nd, 2023, 14:33
You need to open up one of the spell power group and add a 1 (or any other number) into the 'Prepared' slot.

Zarestia
February 22nd, 2023, 14:53
You need to open up one of the spell power group and add a 1 (or any other number) into the 'Prepared' slot.

Doesn't work for me and Bard is not a prepared caster.

If you delete the two level 4 spell slots, everyhting works as expected. So this seems to be a problem for when you have spell slots higher than all known spells.

Edit: Ok, it seems to work fine if I for example set the spell group of the cleric to a prepared number, though this does not work for my original character. Something seems to be still only working halfway.

Zacchaeus
February 22nd, 2023, 15:23
Yes, I see there's a problem if the character has spell slots and no spells of that level. I think you are right in that diagnoses.

Moon Wizard
February 22nd, 2023, 16:23
If I'm understanding correctly, that's because you can use any higher level spell slot to cast a lower level spell. So, in the example you gave, you can use a L4 spell slot to cast a L1-3 spell; so all spells of L4 or less are shown as long as you have L4 spell slots.

Regards,
JPG

Zarestia
February 22nd, 2023, 16:37
If I'm understanding correctly, that's because you can use any higher level spell slot to cast a lower level spell. So, in the example you gave, you can use a L4 spell slot to cast a L1-3 spell; so all spells of L4 or less are shown as long as you have L4 spell slots.

Regards,
JPG

That is correct by the rules and how it normally works.

Use all L4 and all L3 spell slots with the character posted and you can still see L3 spells - that is the problem.

Edit: Here is a gif showcasing.

https://i.imgur.com/wOOY6X6.gif

Moon Wizard
February 22nd, 2023, 16:41
Thanks for clarifying. I understand what you are saying now, and I'll take a look.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
February 22nd, 2023, 16:59
Ok, this has been addressed in the Test/beta version.

Regards,
JPG