PDA

View Full Version : Allow players to see GM token movement

Some Other Anon
February 15th, 2023, 01:15
Greetings,
I need help with the following, when I move tokens or objects as a GM, my players just see them being there one moment and then teleport to the place I left them. This is mostly a problem because they have to constantly ask which token moved if they share an image, or which direction they moved to if the enemy is trying to escape or flank by moving around the map.

The way players move their own tokens, I can see them actually moving to their new location. I would like to know if there is a way that I, as a GM, can move my tokens and images on the map so that players can see the direction I've moved those.

pindercarl
February 15th, 2023, 02:58
Greetings,
I need help with the following, when I move tokens or objects as a GM, my players just see them being there one moment and then teleport to the place I left them. This is mostly a problem because they have to constantly ask which token moved if they share an image, or which direction they moved to if the enemy is trying to escape or flank by moving around the map.

The way players move their own tokens, I can see them actually moving to their new location. I would like to know if there is a way that I, as a GM, can move my tokens and images on the map so that players can see the direction I've moved those.

Token movement on the player's client should be updated when the GM moves the token. The network messaging is same regardless of who is moving the token. The exception is if the GM holds the SHIFT-key while moving the token. The token movement will only be updated for the players on token drop.

If you are running with any extensions, can you try without any extensions loaded? You can test without any of your players by running a second instance of Fantasy Grounds and connecting to your game as a player.

Some Other Anon
February 15th, 2023, 18:14
No extensions of any kind. I'll try running a second instance and see what happens.

Just got to talk to one of my players. He says that when i move a token, he just sees them zipping around the map without a drag "animation" on drop.

I'll try what you suggest and come back. Thank you for the assistance.

pindercarl
February 15th, 2023, 18:31
No extensions of any kind. I'll try running a second instance and see what happens.

Just got to talk to one of my players. He says that when i move a token, he just sees them zipping around the map without a drag "animation" on drop.

I'll try what you suggest and come back. Thank you for the assistance.

Sorry, I misunderstood your issue. When the GM drags a token, the position of the token will update for the players. If you are using token lock, hold the ALT key and a movement path will be shown. Approve the movement when you're done and the players will see the token move along the path.

Some Other Anon
February 15th, 2023, 19:25
Oh, that solved my problem completely.
It's exactly what I was looking for.

Once more, many thanks for the help.

JohnD
February 16th, 2023, 02:49
Sorry, I misunderstood your issue. When the GM drags a token, the position of the token will update for the players. If you are using token lock, hold the ALT key and a movement path will be shown. Approve the movement when you're done and the players will see the token move along the path.

This is how I do it... I figure people will want to see how their enemies are moving around the battle instead of just appearing at the end location.

MrDDT
February 16th, 2023, 23:41

Are we able to get this type of movement without token lock on for the GM? That would be a nice feature.

Moon Wizard
February 17th, 2023, 04:15
By default, when you drag a token as a GM, it ignores the token lock setting. If token lock setting is enabled for the map and the GM does want to use it, they hold the Alt key to notify the client they want to move with the token lock pathing on.

Regards,
JPG

dopefish
June 27th, 2023, 20:28
By default, when you drag a token as a GM, it ignores the token lock setting. If token lock setting is enabled for the map and the GM does want to use it, they hold the Alt key to notify the client they want to move with the token lock pathing on.

Regards,
JPG

Hi,
Sorry to resurrect this thread - if that's not part of the culture here and you'd prefer me to open a new thread, please let me know

Is it possible to enable some setting so that my players can see the lines I draw out? I play 4th edition, and it's often quite nice to be able to let my players preview the movement the enemies do so that they can respond to it in advance.

Making this path visible (just like it is for player movement).

It used to be visible, but I'm not sure when. I believe it might have stopped being visible when I switched to the Unity version.

Zacchaeus
June 28th, 2023, 00:14
As noted above your players will see this movement line if you have token lock on and use the ALT key when moving an NPC token. Thus DM movement is the same as players movement with token lock on.

dopefish
June 28th, 2023, 05:32
As noted above your players will see this movement line if you have token lock on and use the ALT key when moving an NPC token. Thus DM movement is the same as players movement with token lock on.
Hm, my players can't see my movement lines at all (not even for allied characters). :confused:

Zacchaeus
June 28th, 2023, 09:22
Ah, sorry. I misread your original comment. Players don't actually see the movement line for NPCs moved by the DM. If token lock is on and the DM uses ALT when moving an NPC then once the DM approves the movement the token will move along that path just like the players tokens do. If the DM moves one of the players tokens (again using ALT with token lock) then they should see the movement arrows before the DM approves the move.

dopefish
June 28th, 2023, 13:47
Ah, sorry. I misread your original comment. Players don't actually see the movement line for NPCs moved by the DM. If token lock is on and the DM uses ALT when moving an NPC then once the DM approves the movement the token will move along that path just like the players tokens do. If the DM moves one of the players tokens (again using ALT with token lock) then they should see the movement arrows before the DM approves the move.

Exactly correct.

And I'm asking for an option to (re)enable my players to see the NPC movement lines (a return to how it used to work).

Zacchaeus
June 28th, 2023, 14:38
Exactly correct.

And I'm asking for an option to (re)enable my players to see the NPC movement lines (a return to how it used to work).

Is it the case that players did used to see the DM lines in the past? (I don't know - I'm never a player). If so then we should probably report that in a new thread so that the devs see it.

Moon Wizard
June 28th, 2023, 18:49
This is the correct behavior for the feature. Players do not get to see NPC planned movement. Not all GMs want players to see NPC movement; and I thought I remembered there was a discussion on this in the past when FGU came out (but don't have the link)

There is no feature nor API to support NPC movement path visibility; so it would need to be a feature that is designed, built and added to the system. You can add suggestion for everyone to vote on in the link in my signature line below.

Regards,
JPG

dopefish
June 29th, 2023, 16:25
This is the correct behavior for the feature. Players do not get to see NPC planned movement. Not all GMs want players to see NPC movement; and I thought I remembered there was a discussion on this in the past when FGU came out (but don't have the link)

There is no feature nor API to support NPC movement path visibility; so it would need to be a feature that is designed, built and added to the system. You can add suggestion for everyone to vote on in the link in my signature line below.

Regards,
JPG
Thank you! I went back and checked, and this was indeed not the behaviour before the Unity version.

The link in your signature does not work - their certificates appear to be expired. The insecure version still works (ie remove the s in https://) http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Edit: I've created the Idea, here's the direct link: http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=141039