PDA

View Full Version : LFG-Weeknights, Interested in Multiple Systems

GhostPepper
February 12th, 2023, 15:45
Availability: Mon-Fri 6:30 pm to whenever US central time.
System Preference: Pathfinder 2e, Cypher System, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Mutant Crawl Classics, Alien RPG, willing to go for anything except DnD 5e.
Paid games: no thank you, but if I'm a good fit for your group I can GM something as well.
Access to: Good internet, good mics, discord, etc
Experience: Knowledgeable, quick learner of game mechanics. I've run a multi-year PF2e campaign on Fantasy Grounds, still learning the UI.
License: Ultimate, own quite a bit of Pathfinder 2e books.

About me: 40 something professional looking to play more games with like minded people. I'm very easy going and can get along with anybody. I'm punctual and usually know well ahead of time if I won't be available for a scheduled session. I'm not sure what else to say, message me if you want to know anything else I guess. Thanks for your consideration.

AlephNull
February 13th, 2023, 17:08
willing to go for anything except DnD 5e.

Holy mood
...tbh I second this idea, everything you find these days is either pf2e or d&d5e and I just want to play something else, maybe one with actual PC-NPC parity to allow players the freedom to play what they want within setting-specific constraints...
I found a free ruleset called dominion rules if anyone is down to run that, you can just google dominon rules rpg and it should show up. It takes the better parts of old D&D style games (such as largely open-ended mechanics/rules and RP emphasis) and cuts out the worst bits (like obnoxious overly punishing mechanics and ridiculously tight constraints on RAW PC creation, though the latter is generally the result of the assumption that DMs will homebrew things which used to be truer than it is now). It's a bit rough around the edges mainly because it's designed to be tinkered with as a framework rather than taken alone as a full ruleset as a lot of modern RPGs try to do, but I think it'd make for a good game.

Rumsar
February 16th, 2023, 02:13
What about a game that is 'technically' 5e but has been so homebrewed that its almost another game entirely?

AlephNull
February 16th, 2023, 10:53
Why even keep it 5e at that point? It's not a good engine overall, tbh

Rumsar
February 16th, 2023, 12:32
Eh I think of it like a basic car. It’s fine as it is and gets ya from A to B, but if you trick it out just right, it can do some absolutely phenomenal things and keep up with the big boys

AlephNull
February 16th, 2023, 12:45
I'm interested to see what you've done at least, though I'm a bit skeptical and kind of want to try something completely fresh. In particular 5e struggles to scratch my itch for monstrous/supernatural/non-humanoid PCs, and (related to this) PC to NPC parity (which does allow for greater flexibility there). I do have some ideas myself, since there is an open system I found that has high levels of these things, but I doubt it's implemented in FG so we'd have to do it manually unless I manage to figure out if / how I can implement a custom ruleset

Rumsar
February 16th, 2023, 14:08
Sure I don’t mind talking about it. Even if you don’t want to join the table I enjoy talking about the systems I put so much love in.

AlephNull
February 16th, 2023, 14:18
Do you have a google doc or PDF or something?
I do kinda want to see it, even though in my experience the people who cling to 5e rather than take a better engine don't tend to have character creation rules that line up with my preferences, but I am curious to read about it.
For reference, I prefer games that allow a pc to be whatever the player wants, so long as the party is of appropriate level so as that won't set the game off wack balance wise. If it exists, it's playable, at least eventually; "it's always evil" exists as a restriction for exactly 0 species, and a normally animal-intelligence creature should be subject to some for of Awakening magic to allow them to be sapient. I also won't play low level anymore, since it's always a grind and I have already killed enough goblins, kobolds, and other low-level enemies in my D&D games to fill the Pacific Ocean with mook blood; also, you don't really get any of your interesting options until at least level 3 and really level 5 is where you get your "cool kid powers" anyway.
There's always the caveat of not ruining the fun of other players of course; if someone has a legitimate reason they don't like my idea, I'm happy to hear it, but "It's not fair that I have to play a normal character and he gets to be X" is not a legitimate reason when there's nothing preventing the other players from doing something unique (most don't even want to and are just convinced nonstandard character types are always overpowered simply because they can do things normal PCs can't, but that's the entire idea because if a standard PC could do something there's no reason to homebrew it).

Rumsar
February 16th, 2023, 14:31
I don’t have a document as I have put everything into fantasy grounds systems, but we can always hook up on discord and I can invite you to the server and explain stuff and give more context as needed

AlephNull
February 16th, 2023, 14:40
Ok, my discord is WumbologyMajor#1881