PDA

View Full Version : Message of the Day History

mhossom
February 11th, 2023, 17:01
Before every session, I put a summary of the last session in the Message of the Day. It just occurred to me, at session 19, it would be great to see all of them together.

Do past messages get saved anywhere? If not, oh well.

Thank you

LordEntrails
February 11th, 2023, 17:26
Nope.
What I do is create a story, copy the text into the story and then from the MotD I put a link to the story(ies).

Zacchaeus
February 11th, 2023, 17:27
I use the Calendar for that. That is put the previous MoD into a Calendar entry before making the next one. You could also make story entries and drop them into the MoD. Unless you delete the stories they'll be preserved.

GunnarGreybeard
February 11th, 2023, 17:33
As far as I know they are not saved anywhere. Kind of a workaround for me, what I do is create a 'public' Note file with all the previous MotD information and add a link to that public Note under the current MotD. It allows me to keep a running copy of all the previous MotD info that players can access without cluttering up the current MotD. Also helps me keep up with what happened as the campaign has progressed.

mhossom
February 11th, 2023, 17:45
Thank you all very much. All of you folks are awesome.

I figured this was the case, but it couldn't hurt to ask. This is the first campaign where I used that feature and didn't think of it until now.

Live and learn.

Trenloe
February 11th, 2023, 17:57
If you're confident in XML you could go back through the db.session...xml files in your campaign directory and copy the <motd> entries into new story entries (under the <encounter> heading in the campaign db.xml file).

Jiminimonka
February 11th, 2023, 18:19
I use the Calendar for that. That is put the previous MoD into a Calendar entry before making the next one. You could also make story entries and drop them into the MoD. Unless you delete the stories they'll be preserved.

Good idea!

mhossom
February 11th, 2023, 19:17
If you're confident in XML you could go back through the db.session...xml files in your campaign directory and copy the <motd> entries into new story entries (under the <encounter> heading in the campaign db.xml file).

Why YES, yes I am. Thank you for this.

Off to make copies of some files and start digging.

[edit] Woot, Grand Templar now. Silly little accomplishment

damned
February 11th, 2023, 22:16

Do they also appear in the chatlog?

anstett
February 11th, 2023, 22:24
No MotD does not appear in the Chat Log.

Honken
February 13th, 2023, 15:32
I do the same thing, I try to summarize the last session in my MOTD. I usually write them in Word before copy paste them to the MOTD. And thus I save old summeries in a document i call "Old MOTD" on One Drive, and i share that document with my players. So they can always read old things to keep track of things.