PDA

View Full Version : Prospective Buyer Questions

Skythian
December 28th, 2007, 16:38
Hi all, I am considering picking up a few licenses of this as, as years have passed, my long-time gaming group is spread out over the country (and globe now) and we're looking for a better way to 'get together' tham MMOs and MUSHes. This looks liek a great product but I did have some questions:

1) I notice grid maps are a functional feature. What about hex maps?

2) How does logging work. Is the GM able to log/save everything that happens for future documentation/archiving.

Thanks for the help :)

Mellock
December 28th, 2007, 17:05
1. I think the grid overlay only comes in squares, but you can make the hex maps with a program like Dundjinni, or another external program. Tokens can be moved freely on the map graphic. (I'll see if I can upload a picture of it in a minute. -- There, done.)

2. Everything that is said or done in the chat window is logged to an html file right there in your campaign folder.

Sigurd
December 28th, 2007, 17:44
Mellock is correct in everything he says. I'd only add:

Re images - FG displays JPG or PNG graphic files however you make them. Ideally they will be small for easy networking but you can include grids, hex, or pictures of Elvira - the program doesn't care.

Re Overlays - FG can put down an active layer grid (Square only). It helps in calculating distances and determining areas of effect etc... You can snap tokens to either the center or vertex of squares. Used well it clarifies combat. It doesn't hold any defined walls, hazards, terrain features etc...

The layer is optional, and not everyone uses it.

Sigurd

Skythian
December 28th, 2007, 18:36
Great on the hex map. This is what I thought would be the case based on what I read. Personally I'm a huge fan of hax maps for outside combat and was thinking if you could have the range and area of effect functionality it seems the grid overlay has that would be neat, but no matter.

Thanks for the rapid response. I think a couple of us may try out the demo this weekend and see how it goes.

Blue Haven
December 28th, 2007, 19:09
1. I think the grid overlay only comes in squares, but you can make the hex maps with a program like Dundjinni, or another external program. Tokens can be moved freely on the map graphic. (I'll see if I can upload a picture of it in a minute. -- There, done.)

2. Everything that is said or done in the chat window is logged to an html file right there in your campaign folder.

Can you tell me how you can put an image so big like that and open it...? how can i change the limit of the display..?
Thanks ;)

Mellock
December 28th, 2007, 19:51
I suppose adjusting your screen resolution: in Windows XP, you just right-click on your desktop and choose "properties" from the menu that pops up. (Or you can go to your configuration screen and select something like "monitor" there, for the same result.) The final tab on that window is probably called "settings", I think, (mine is all in Dutch), and has your resolution on it.

There is a picture of it at https://articles.techrepublic.com.com/i/tr/cms/contentPics/windows-xp-t012040420shu01d.gif

You can adjust your resolution there if you have a monitor and graphics card that can handle anything higher than what you have. (I only have a 17-inch screen though, with an 1152*864 resolution, which is by no means spectacular these days, or so it seems. The smallest one my local computer shop offers these days is 19" already.)

Or you can just zoom out by using the scrollwheel on your mouse while hovering your pointer over a place on your map that doesn't have any tokens on it.

joshuha
December 28th, 2007, 20:10
You can expand map images in FG by holding the CTRL key down and dragging at the corner of the window as well. The maximum size by default is 700x700 but if you are willing to customize your ruleset you can make this bigger.

In the adventure_images.xml at line 35 underneath the windowclass name="imagewindow" is the following:

<maximum>
<width>700</width>
<height>700</height>
</maximum>

Blue Haven
December 29th, 2007, 14:11
You can expand map images in FG by holding the CTRL key down and dragging at the corner of the window as well. The maximum size by default is 700x700 but if you are willing to customize your ruleset you can make this bigger.

In the adventure_images.xml at line 35 underneath the windowclass name="imagewindow" is the following:

<maximum>
<width>700</width>
<height>700</height>
</maximum>

Thanks :) thatīs what i was talking about...i donīt understand why Mellock said that but ok...Thanks dude :)

Mellock
December 29th, 2007, 14:58
how can i change the limit of the display..?

I think it had to do with that. There's the display, and there are limits as to what is displayed. My bad.

Blue Haven
December 29th, 2007, 19:27
I think it had to do with that. There's the display, and there are limits as to what is displayed. My bad.

:D ok we both failed to comunicate :) thanks anyway :)