PDA

View Full Version : Drop list selection

Insanity
December 27th, 2007, 19:33
Is it possible to do a drop list within a character sheet? Basically for someone to select their race, click and the whole list of available races is shown, and then select one?

Dachannien
December 27th, 2007, 19:36
Hmmm.... It might be possible to register a set of radial menu items for this. Could be tricky, though.

Also, I've done a control where you click on it and it advances to the next item in a list (of course, you don't actually see the whole list at once, just whatever's currently selected). That one was pretty easy.

But there's no native support for drop-down boxes that I know of.

Sorontar
December 27th, 2007, 19:58
May also fall under "automation of the SRD" if it is d20 so not for free distribution.

Insanity
December 27th, 2007, 20:12
This would be for a custom ruleset, non-d20.

joshuha
December 27th, 2007, 21:25
Its possible to have a popup list. So you click on the races, it presents another small window with the lists and some checkboxes or buttons and once thats clicked it commits that value to the DB/sheet.

And in this case it is not really automation you are just presenting text values for someone to choose one.

Sorontar
December 27th, 2007, 23:29
Its possible to have a popup list. So you click on the races, it presents another small window with the lists and some checkboxes or buttons and once thats clicked it commits that value to the DB/sheet.

And in this case it is not really automation you are just presenting text values for someone to choose one.

I'll take your word for it on the OGL side of things, I just recall reading in a previous discussion that you couldn't have the software confirming something as a correct value and assumed that this would apply to presenting a valid list that autofills upon selection.

Anyway I'm tired now, Xmas has caught up on me :)

Insanity
December 27th, 2007, 23:56
I'll take your word for it on the OGL side of things, I just recall reading in a previous discussion that you couldn't have the software confirming something as a correct value and assumed that this would apply to presenting a valid list that autofills upon selection.

Anyway I'm tired now, Xmas has caught up on me :)

I have no idea what this refers to, or about "automation of the SRD" means. Could you point me to the discussion thread?

Tokuriku
December 28th, 2007, 00:39

Could you give a code exemple of this.
I'd find is a usefull inventory option :)
But can people enter other things manually?

Also, how would I go about entering the other information like weight etc...

joshuha
December 28th, 2007, 03:01
I have no idea what this refers to, or about "automation of the SRD" means. Could you point me to the discussion thread?

https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/oglfaq/20040123i

Well the discussions on the D20 license have to deal with the software section and what defines an interactive game. However, in this case of providing a race picklist you aren't including rules about character creation which is restricted in the d20 license. The races themselves are part of the SRD so no harm in providing a list of them as long as the field itself is just pure text to allow anyone to type in anything there if they so choose.

I just recall reading in a previous discussion that you couldn't have the software confirming something as a correct value and assumed that this would apply to presenting a valid list that autofills upon selection.

The section you are referring to has to deal with interpreting those results against the rules. Things like if a roll succeeds, beats an AC, etc. Using a strict interpretation as you are trying to use would make it even impossible to show the correct bonus for a stat roll which is allowed (or total the AC from the various spots on the sheet).

joshuha
December 28th, 2007, 03:04
Could you give a code exemple of this.
I'd find is a usefull inventory option :)
But can people enter other things manually?

Also, how would I go about entering the other information like weight etc...

While I don't have time to provide exact code now I can provide some logic.

You just make a windowclass and have on it a bunch of text labels and some checkboxes. Have some code on there that only allows one checkbox checked at a time. When one of this checkboxes is checked, get the current character DBnode and just do a setValue on the race.

To get the list to open just fire a Interface.openWindow from a custom radial menu or a doubleclick on the race field on the sheet.

It is complicated if you don't understand the current API but it is definitely doable.

Insanity
December 28th, 2007, 15:09
https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/oglfaq/20040123i

Well the discussions on the D20 license have to deal with the software section and what defines an interactive game. However, in this case of providing a race picklist you aren't including rules about character creation which is restricted in the d20 license. The races themselves are part of the SRD so no harm in providing a list of them as long as the field itself is just pure text to allow anyone to type in anything there if they so choose.

So, if I am correct, this applies to any ruleset modification I may make in regards to the d20 system? If I am working towards having something like this for an entirely separate system, non-d20, that would be between myself and the owner of that system, correct? If they express interest in having a drop-list for any content, thats okay?

joshuha
December 28th, 2007, 15:24
So, if I am correct, this applies to any ruleset modification I may make in regards to the d20 system? If I am working towards having something like this for an entirely separate system, non-d20, that would be between myself and the owner of that system, correct? If they express interest in having a drop-list for any content, thats okay?

Right that linked section is only dealing with the OGL and d20 license for the D20 system. Any other non-d20 systems is between you and the copyright owner or any form of open licensing they may have.

And as I said, even for d20 I don't believe it to be a violation of the Interactive Game portion any more so than showing the +2 bonus automatically for a 14 in your strength score field. The field in my case would still be a free text field its just you a providing them a list of "possible" races from the SRD. You aren't determining if they are valid compared to the class or abilities or doing anything that would be deemed in violation of the OGL/d20 license.

Insanity
December 28th, 2007, 15:30
Right that linked section is only dealing with the OGL and d20 license for the D20 system. Any other non-d20 systems is between you and the copyright owner or any form of open licensing they may have.

And as I said, even for d20 I don't believe it to be a violation of the Interactive Game portion any more so than showing the +2 bonus automatically for a 14 in your strength score field. The field in my case would still be a free text field its just you a providing them a list of "possible" races from the SRD. You aren't determining if they are valid compared to the class or abilities or doing anything that would be deemed in violation of the OGL/d20 license.

So, having it determine if the character qualifies for a Prestige Class would be a violation for d20? But not doing the math to determine, as you said, Ability Bonuses, adding AC modifiers, etc. are not, obviously as those are a part of the default character sheet.

joshuha
December 28th, 2007, 15:35
Yes, in my opinion that would be a violation. However, I am not a lawyer so I can't 100% say it is or is not. But seeing if a character qualifies for a prestige class seems to be over the line.

"Q: If I can't describe character creation and applying experience how can I still make a character generator?

A: You provide the users with the building blocks of the character, you don't tell them what to do with those blocks. A user familiar with the core rules will be able to use the program, while one who isn't will have difficulty..."

Hamish
December 28th, 2007, 15:42
Of course, if you keep the ruleset to yourself, I don't think anything is a violation, whatever you do, right?

Insanity
December 28th, 2007, 15:45
Thanks for the feedback guys. Now for the scripting, I will probably be posting for help on that.

joshuha
December 28th, 2007, 15:55
Of course, if you keep the ruleset to yourself, I don't think anything is a violation, whatever you do, right?

Essentially yes.

Griogre
December 28th, 2007, 22:57
In the US that is not true, you might still be technically breaking the law. However, you are not likely to be prosecuted because companies tend to go after you only if you are jeopardizing their ability to retain control of their intellectual property, making money on their IP, or causing them to lose money by distributing their IP without a license. FG2 does not distribute rule sets the way FG1 did is so I would guess (and I’m not a lawyer) you are in pretty good shape to avoid prosecution if you only use the rule set with friends and don’t give it out.

Naturally, the nuances in the Netherlands are likely different.