PDA

View Full Version : Partial LOS on sections of the map

makronax
January 13th, 2023, 16:30
Some other VTT I've used had the functionality to make a part of the map always visible ignoring PC tokens LOS. I opened sections of the map using rectangles there. I used it to mark the map as explored between sessions and it was pretty handy. Is there something like this in FGU? It also seems that one of my players has everything around them except the immediate surroundings black, the map doesn't store the areas they've been in. Is this controlled by some option?

LordEntrails
January 13th, 2023, 16:41
FGU has 2 ways to obscure token vision. LOS occluders and the global mask. So where you want "open / viewed vision" all you need to do is not put (or remove) the LOS occluders, of it using the global mask, remove the mask for that area. Note, FGU by default keep the already seen parts of a map and remembers them session to session (so no need to do as above unless you are moving the tokens to a different map).

When is comes to vision, i.e. light sources or how far a token can see, this is controlled separately from LOS. And again you have options. You can simple not use lighting and then tokens can see to infinity, or you can turn on lighting, and those areas that you want to always be seen (like outdoors) you can set ambient lighting for while leaving interior/underground spaces dark so that lights (torches, darkvision, etc) are needed to see into them.

makronax
January 13th, 2023, 17:06
So essentially I'd have to delete some or all of the walls? Thanks, I was hoping for something that is non-destructive. But it looks like the map was lacking ambient lighting that helped on my end when emulating player vision. I'll check with the players on how it looks for them.

If the player token changes the map, will the "knowledge" of the previous map be stored or reset? We're playing U1 and it has three maps for the house, two floors and underground.

Zacchaeus
January 13th, 2023, 17:38
The fog of war; that is the already explored area of the map which is shown in gray rather than black is not remembered if a token is removed from the map in any way. This includes any kind of movement of the token make by the DM without pressing SHIFT whilst doing so, placing the token on another map; or removing the token from the Combat tracker.

LordEntrails
January 13th, 2023, 19:35
IF you expect the players to go back and forth between the levels, then before you start (of before they go to additional levels) you can add those other maps to the main level map, that way FG considers it all one map and will remember the fog of war. Their can be some performance and other concerns, but they are usually manageable by using layer and turning off ones not in use as well as surrounding each map portion by a LOS wall.

BronzeDodger
January 13th, 2023, 23:13
Oh that's a nifty concept - multiple maps on a single image, but use LOS blockers, so any given PC would see "their" level, but also have it maintain the fog of war history. Love it.

Ludd_G
January 14th, 2023, 10:36
Also this is an extension that helps retain PCs fog of war between maps:

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/224/view

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?70474-FoWEnhanced-Extension-(all-rulesets)-Support-Thread

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Simon

makronax
January 14th, 2023, 13:48
Okay, thanks for the help, guys! Looks like its either this extension or some additional work for me. It's a little unfortunate that official module I'm using doesn't put everything on a single map already (there's three parts of the same house).

Trenloe
January 14th, 2023, 15:38
The issue with putting all floors on the same map is that this can take the image above the recommended 4,000 x 4,000 pixel (16 million pixels) recommendation and could tax some computer systems. If it works for you and your players, go for it - but keep in mind that going above the recommendation could cause performance issues, especially with LoS and lighting.

Some more info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?76201-How-do-you-handle-multiple-floors&p=672291&viewfull=1#post672291

makronax
January 14th, 2023, 16:15
Hopefully the devs get to implementing the full module character memory, I can imagine a lot of modules have the PCs going back and forth between multiple maps.

Nobiledruen
January 15th, 2023, 15:01
I was reading this thread and, as a complete newbie to FG, I found it quite intimidating. I still have to get my head around LOS, fog of war etc. in FG. I will view Zacchaeus' videos shortly, but if somebody has got a dummy's guide on the topic, please help!!!

Zacchaeus
January 15th, 2023, 15:13
I was reading this thread and, as a complete newbie to FG, I found it quite intimidating. I still have to get my head around LOS, fog of war etc. in FG. I will view Zacchaeus' videos shortly, but if somebody has got a dummy's guide on the topic, please help!!!

Zacchaeus' videos are a dummies guide :)