PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate tokens on map

Vassago77
January 9th, 2023, 16:14
I am using tokens to keep track on maps of squares already explored.

In OSE, this is relevant because the PCs can explore only a certain amount of squares per turn, while if the ground is already bene explored the PCs can move at triple the speed.

So I am using a token of a color for the squares already "walked into" and another for squares that they can see thanks to their light but haven't yet been walked on.

I have both tokens in my quick-bar, but it's a bit of a pain to drag them from there every time. So the question is: is there a way to duplicate the tokens already on a map? If I could ctrl-c and ctr-v a token things would move up super fast :)

In case this isn't possible, do you have a better way to do what I want to do?

And is there a comprehensive list of all the shortcuts in Fantasy Grounds? I swear I saw it once but I cannot find anymore.

Thanks in advance!

LordEntrails
January 9th, 2023, 16:44
I don't think there is a key combo to copy/paste. But when you drag the tokens to the hotbar, you can use the corresponding function key rather than drag and drop (i.e. F1, F2, etc).

But, why not use LOS? Or at least the global mask?

As for shortcuts, the wiki has this: Common Shortcuts & Hotkeys - Fantasy Grounds Customer Portal - Confluence (atlassian.net) (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1275232424/Common+Shortcuts+Hotkeys)
And there is an old FGC thread that still has some useful info here (though much of it is outdated): Useful shortcuts and tips to use in Fantasy Grounds (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45418-Useful-shortcuts-and-tips-to-use-in-Fantasy-Grounds)

Vassago77
January 9th, 2023, 17:23
Thanks for the quick answer!

Because both LOS and the mask do not keep track of the squares that I have visited or "walked on",and only those that are seen!

I seem unable to replicate the functions key system as you suggest! When I try, regular windows 10 commands pop up and not fantasy grounds one.

What are the steps to enable this function key system?

Zacchaeus
January 9th, 2023, 17:42
As far as I know there isn't anything you need do to get the function keys to work - they just do. Maybe the focus isn't on FGU when you press them? In any case using the f-keys won't actually do anything if you have a token on the quickbar since FG needs to know what you want to do with the wuickbar slot. Notmally you'd have links or dice rolls there and FG just performs the string. For a token that needs to be placed on a map you'll need to drag and drop.

I can't think of any other method that you could use to make it easier; if it were just one token I'd have suggested just using the stamp tool in the layers menu. But since you need two that would probably take you longer to swap them about than it would to just drag and drop.

Laerun
January 9th, 2023, 17:51
Correct,there is no way to sporadically select and duplicate the token on the map. Once you have place layer on the map you can fiddle with the layers but it's fiddly and not what you want. Have you consider just using the pen or the basic drawing tool to check off a previously square? https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996640166/Working+with+Images+as+the+GM#Using-the-Image-Control

LordEntrails
January 9th, 2023, 18:45
Good idea on the pen/drawing tool! You can set VISMAX so the players only see as many squares as you want, and then put a color dot with the pen in the squares they have been in.

Sorry about about misleading onthe shortcut/F keys.

Note, on my laptop, my function keys are not active until I hit the "fn" key. And as Mr Z says, the FG window has to be active too.

bayne7400
January 9th, 2023, 18:49
There are a few ways to do a Hexcrawl. You can use VISMAX on a party token and fog of war. So I have one token that is designated as the party token. I add it to party sheet and turn party vision on. I set VISMAX: equal to 1.0 times my hex dimension(may need to check that part). As you move the party token around you will see where you have and have not been by the fog of war.

The only thing to remember is to remove the party token from party sheet before applying experience:)

The other way is to draw occluders around the hexes you crawl. I have done both ways. But you still need a token on the hex map with LOS turned on.

bayne7400
January 9th, 2023, 18:57
Here is two ways. One using the masking tool and another using VISMAX. This is from actual play. Masking was more reliable.

Vassago77
January 9th, 2023, 19:24
Thank you all guys for the insight, the suggestions and the practical ideas!

Bayne7400: the OSE set is amazing, our group is having a blast using it! Thanks for such a great job :)

bayne7400
January 9th, 2023, 19:39
I appreciate your kind words. Had lots of help along the way.

Sulimo
January 9th, 2023, 22:31
Thanks for the quick answer!

Because both LOS and the mask do not keep track of the squares that I have visited or "walked on",and only those that are seen!

I seem unable to replicate the functions key system as you suggest! When I try, regular windows 10 commands pop up and not fantasy grounds one.

What are the steps to enable this function key system?

Do you have a keyboard with an F-Lock button?

If so, use it, then try pressing the F1-F12 keys.