PDA

View Full Version : Encounter Tables and Various Random Numbers

Morfedel
December 26th, 2022, 16:53
I have a few questions about making encounter tables, but still trying to formulate specifically how I want to word my questions. One sprang to mind immediately though: So, let's say I want a random number of monsters that will appear in the encounter, and a random number of each different monster type, but a randomly determined maximum number of monsters total, can that be done, and if so, how?

As an example, let's say I had four different types of Goblins to be generated, but I also wanted a maximum number, so for instance, let's say I wanted 3d6 goblins total, and a random number of each goblin whose total number didn't exceed that 3d6 roll, can that be done? If so, how?

Jiminimonka
December 26th, 2022, 17:16
I have a few questions about making encounter tables, but still trying to formulate specifically how I want to word my questions. One sprang to mind immediately though: So, let's say I want a random number of monsters that will appear in the encounter, and a random number of each different monster type, but a randomly determined maximum number of monsters total, can that be done, and if so, how?

As an example, let's say I had four different types of Goblins to be generated, but I also wanted a maximum number, so for instance, let's say I wanted 3d6 goblins total, and a random number of each goblin whose total number didn't exceed that 3d6 roll, can that be done? If so, how?

Make the table pop-up a Random Encounter and then use the RNG part of the Random Encounter to sort out the number of goblins. Random encounters can also use the $PC modifier to generate a number of NPCs based on how many players there are in the Party Sheet. $PC*2 would make 2 NPCs per character for example. You can drag a Random Encounter onto the table.

Zacchaeus
December 26th, 2022, 17:24

See here for details on rollable tables https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996640986/Using+Tables+to+Create+Random+Results and video fourteen here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?75515-New-Video-Series

To limit the numbers to a certain amount make a master table which calls a subtable 3d6 times. The subtable would contain a line for each different creature creature you want.

Griogre
December 26th, 2022, 17:46
You can also make one goblin entry in a table that is 1d6 Goblins and 2d6 Goblin Minions. Be aware you don't have to use real dice in tables ie you could do 3d5 + 3 to skew you bell curve. And you can import tables. When I do mass random encounter tables I usually do them all in excel and fiddle with them until I'm happy with them and then import them. I've attached below some pics of it in excel for a 4 PC party. On this table I did two entries for Goblins: one with just goblins and some with a Hobgoblin. Note I only used two columns but you can use more. Then you just link to the monster in the monster manual or other reference.

Edit: Oops I meant to add a table roll that generates the encounter. I've done so.