PDA

View Full Version : Retail box version of Fantasy Grounds

Maslow
December 15th, 2007, 00:17
Probably a naive question, but I'm wondering why FG isn't sold in a retail boxin Gaming stores and software stores (in addition to the web download)? I'd think that would be a good way to expand the fan base quickly.

Mellock
December 15th, 2007, 00:56
It's been a while since I bought my copy, but they didn't offer it back then. I can't really imagine that it's worth the cost of having it burned to disc, boxed and shipped though. The RPG-market is just about as saturated as... well... something that's very saturated.
(Btw: has anyone ever noticed how that shows in stores: just about every gaming store I've ever entered is packed to the brim with *stuff*)

richvalle
December 16th, 2007, 13:40
There is a lot of cost involved with getting items into stores. Plus Smiteworks wouldn't get all the $$ from each sale as each piece of the chain takes a share.

With the future being murkey (WoTC getting into Digital Desktops, 4th ed and no OGL yet...) it would be a bad time to sell the farm and go hog wild with FG. :)

Just my opinions of course.

rv

Maslow
December 16th, 2007, 16:06
Good points about the market being saturated and the uncertainty from WotC's plans.

A comment on the costs, though. It's possible now to self-publish in small runs (100 to 1000 copies). There are services that will print the CDs and provide packaging (https://www.buyerzone.com/marketing/cd-dvd-replication/buyers_guide4.html). Start small, print 100 and distribute to some local game shops. With luck the retail staff will talk it up because it will help them sell more rule books.

Sure it reduces their margin on each sale, but if these are mostly sales that they wouldn't have gotten online, then it's incremental revenue.

Mellock
December 16th, 2007, 16:25
They *did* offer them as a boxed version at one point, if I recall correctly (or at least, I think there was something that hinted towards that in a mail I once sent, asking of they offered a boxed version), so I can only assume that there was a reason that they stopped doing that. My best bet would be that it just wasn't worth it.

But I suppose there is logic to people who are willing to play online also being willing to pay online. I actually got a visa-card just for FG. (But Belgium isn't exactly a "plastic" country. I still prefer wire transfers.)

Shadowclave
December 16th, 2007, 19:37
And Lindeman's Beer and Ostrogoth records. :eek:

richvalle
December 17th, 2007, 14:49
Start small, print 100 and distribute to some local game shops. With luck the retail staff will talk it up because it will help them sell more rule books.

But in this case 'local' is in Finland. :)

rv

Maslow
December 17th, 2007, 19:33
Ahh, I didn't know that.

I'm a bit abashed about my blatant, but unintentional US-centric viewpoint.

richvalle
December 18th, 2007, 13:53
Hey, its one of the things that makes us American. :)

For the record, I have seen this sort of thing happen. A company named Battlefront made a 'download only' game called Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord. They looked into putting it into stores but they figured out that after paying a distributor, stores ect they would be making less money then they would if they sold less copies but kept all the $$ themselves.

The game did well enough that they were able to work out a better deal with a distributor and the game did hit store shelves eventually.

rv

rv

Valarian
December 18th, 2007, 14:13
Hey, its one of the things that makes us American. :)
Dear me, I do wish you would try and remember that there's a world beyond the borders of the US. ;)
There are these things known as an Atlas ... or do American atlases only show the US? :p

richvalle
December 18th, 2007, 14:24
We have them, we just ignore them. If its not in the US, it doesn't really matter right?

BTW, when is cherry ol' England going to become a State in the US of A?

:P

rv

Valarian
December 18th, 2007, 16:21
BTW, when is cherry ol' England going to become a State in the US of A?
You mean we're not?

Sorontar
December 18th, 2007, 16:35
I don't think our obesity levels are high enough although we ARE working on it.

It's more likely that you'd pay your back taxes owed on the tea and returned to the fold of the empire :)

Griogre
December 18th, 2007, 19:50
Taxes! Ack! Never. ;) (Especially on tea!). :D We will just have to agree to remain apart.... :cry:

richvalle
December 18th, 2007, 21:12
Agreed! Now if you want to tax coffee....

Thore_Ironrock
December 18th, 2007, 22:48
Probably a naive question, but I'm wondering why FG isn't sold in a retail boxin Gaming stores and software stores (in addition to the web download)? I'd think that would be a good way to expand the fan base quickly.

Actually, I have them. :)

Or more correctly, what was left over from Gen Con. Curently the SW boys are trying to work deals with people on *if* it is feasible to sell them in the US to the hobby trade over actual downloads, as like several people have said in this thread there is potential additional cost. There is the case, printed sleeve, and the actual disk to consdier. The plus is that you do have a "physical" copy with a printed license key inside.

Thinking about it ... does anyone know if D&D Insider will be sold only online, or will they have a "shelf" product?

richvalle
December 19th, 2007, 00:41
I'm not 100% sure... but I think its online only.

There has been talk of compiling a 'best of' and printing it off if there is interest but that is all I have heard about existing in a non-digital manor.

rv

Griogre
December 19th, 2007, 04:57
I believe the Dungeon & Dragon Mags are online only, as is the gaming table. The books sold in stores have an online component available.

richvalle
December 19th, 2007, 13:50
As will the mini's.

rv