PDA

View Full Version : Labyrinth Lord?

benurs
December 14th, 2007, 03:06
Hello all,

I've been playing FGII with my brothers, both thousands of miles away, for a couple of months now--the last time we played together was 17 years ago! Just like then, we are playing the 1981 Moldvay/Cook/Marsh D&D rules, so we can't use much of the D20 character sheet in FGII.

I am very excited by the publication of the Labyrinth Lord rules that essentially reissue those 1981 rules (https://www.goblinoidgames.com/labyrinthlord.htm). I have been trying to adapt the D20 character sheet to these rules but am very much a programming neophyte--for example, I just somehow lost the application of the Dexterity bonus to the Armor Class and can't figure out where that happened.

To make a long story short, are any of you smart programmers contemplating adapting the Labyrinth Lord rules to FGII? I for one would be eternally grateful to you, and willing to shell out money for this, too!

Benurs

Sigurd
December 14th, 2007, 08:21
I wish you luck in finding what you want.

You may want to consider Castles and Crusades by Troll Lord Games. It has an 'old school' feel to it too.

Digital Adventures has a rule set for it as well.

benurs
December 19th, 2007, 03:17
Maybe somebody can help me out, I'm a non-programmer who's at my wits' end.

I am trying to program a Basic D&D (1981 or Rules Cyclopedia) character sheet, using Dachannien's tremendously useful programming snippet in order to change the bonus progression for ability scores from D20 rules to the classic ones (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6872&page=2&highlight=bonus)

Here is what the sheet looks like--main page:

and inventory page:

However, at some point in my endeavors, and I don't know when, the dexterity bonus lost its connection to the armor class, although it still does get applied to the initiative and missile weapon bonuses.

Can somebody help me out? Here is the sourcecode from charsheet_main.xml for the armor class. I don't know if this is where the error occurs or not; any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Benurs

(Oh, and why do my dice always start out a little bit higher up than they should be? See the left side of the attached screens. Is that intentional, or a bug? I can't set their default position lower so that it sticks)

<!-- AC -->
<genericcontrol name="acframe">
<bounds>15,290,200,110</bounds>
<frame>
<name>sheetgroup</name>
</frame>
</genericcontrol>

<modifiernumber name="ac" source="ac.totals.general">
<anchored>
<to>acframe</to>
<position>insidetopleft</position>
<offset>40,36</offset>
<size>
<width>45</width>
<height>40</height>
</size>
</anchored>
<frame>
<name>acicon</name>
<offset>12,12,8,20</offset>
</frame>
<font>sheetnumber</font>
<description>
<text>Armor Class</text>
</description>
<modifierfield>ac.sources.temporary</modifierfield>
<source>
<name>abilities.dexterity.bonus</name>
<op>+</op>
</source>
<source>
<name>ac.sources.armor</name>
<op>-</op>
</source>
<source>
<name>ac.sources.shield</name>
<op>-</op>
</source>
<source>
<name>ac.sources.size</name>
<op>-</op>
</source>
<source>
<name>ac.sources.naturalarmor</name>
<op>-</op>
</source>
<source>
<name>ac.sources.deflection</name>
<op>-</op>
</source>
<source>
<name>ac.sources.misc</name>
<op>-</op>
</source>
<source>
<name>encumbrance.armorbonus</name>
</source>
<source>
<name>encumbrance.armormaxdexbonus</name>
</source>
<source>
<name>encumbrance.armormaxdexbonusactive</name>
</source>
<script>
function onSourceUpdate()
setValue(9 + calculateSources());
end

function onSourceValue(source, sourcename)
if sourcename == "abilities.dexterity.bonus" then
local dex = source.getValue();
local max = sources["encumbrance.armorbonus"].getValue();
local maxactive = sources["encumbrance.armormaxdexbonusactive"].getValue();

if maxactive == 0 or max > dex then
return dex;
else
return max;
end
else
return super.onSourceValue(source, sourcename);
end
end
</script>

Dachannien
December 19th, 2007, 05:44
In the original d20 ruleset, there's a checkbox on the character sheet for indicating whether the armor's maximum dex bonus limit should be taken into account. This was added in a patch a while back, because the ruleset couldn't tell the difference between a character wearing no armor, where the player set the max dex limit to 0 intending it to mean they had no max dex, and a character wearing armor whose actual max dex was zero.

If/since your current ruleset doesn't use the armor max dex stat, you should remove that section from the code above. I think that means everything from the <source> line right above encumbrance.armorbonus, down to the last </source> line. I don't know for certain about the script portion without digging through the rest of the d20 ruleset code, but I would probably try removing the entire body of the onSourceValue function except for the return super.onSourceValue etc. etc. line.

Probably a good idea to back up the code as it is now in case my suggestions hose things up even worse ;)

Blue Haven
December 19th, 2007, 13:01
Please friend can you share that sheet with me?? i&#180;m looking for that a long time ago...pleaseeeee...:) Help me out...

Blue Haven
December 19th, 2007, 13:05
I play a lot D&D Classic edition :) its the best!
I have the sheet for FG1 but not for version 2 like you have...please can you help me out...?
Bye

benurs
December 20th, 2007, 04:38
Wow! Yes!!!

Dachannien, you rule! Your edit was indeed all it needed to reconnect the DEX bonus to the Armor Class. Thank you so much for taking the time to analyze my problem!

Blue Haven and any others who might be interested, I can e-mail you what I have if you send me a PM with your e-mail address, but you need to be forewarned that at this stage I still have not worked through the spell lists. I do not have much free time to work on this, alas. I also can't guarantee that I have not overlooked some other mistake.

I designed this character sheet mainly for 1981 Basic/Expert D&D rules, but I think that most of the 1983 BECMI and Rules Cyclopedia levels can be handled with this sheet, too, and also the new Labyrinth Lord rules.

By the way, it is legal to privately share such a character sheet for personal use, isn't it? I'm not into breaking laws.

Again, Dachannien, thank you so much for your help--both your advice now and your earlier assistance to another poster on changing the bonus progression were the two keys that I could not have figured out by myself!

Benurs

Blue Haven
December 20th, 2007, 07:27
The gates of Heaven just open to me...
Thanks Benurs...