PDA

View Full Version : Adding diefields

Insanity
December 13th, 2007, 00:06
I wanted to know if anyone had experimented with adding diefields?

The d20 ruleset uses diefields to store the number and type of die. Is it possible to have multiple diefield, with unique names, then add them together into another diefield?

I.E.
three diefields
1: d4
2: 2d6
3: d8

Total: d8+2d6+d4

And then when the totaled diefield is selected, a d8, 2d6, d4 are rolled?

joshuha
December 13th, 2007, 04:31
Yep this is definitely doable but will take a little work. Essentially you want the "total" diefield to setup a database handler that watches the values of the previous three and when any are updated call its own internal function that extracts the die out of each of those fields and builds it into its own die table.

If that doesn't make sense I can post some example code tomorrow maybe.

Foen
December 14th, 2007, 07:13
I guess that you needn't have the total field watch the others, if it is just implemented as a generic control which creates its die table from the other fields when required (onDrag, onDoubleClick etc)? I depends on how you want it rendered, really.

Cheers

Stuart

EDIT: If you only ever need the totals, you can mix dice within a die field (so one field could have d8+2d6+d4 in it). Also, it isn't possible to subtract dice (3d6-2d4) but you can create custom dice that return negative results. Say m4 delivers -d4, so you would use 3d6+2m4 to get 3d6-2d4. The custom die graphics can be rendered like the base die, so they roll properly etc.

Insanity
December 14th, 2007, 14:22
It would be for a possible ruleset, most checks use multiple die in the roll. One check may use 2d6+d4, another d12+2d4, etc. The best way to describe is this: The dice used for a skill check may be the total of all the die within 4-5 fields, which may be multiple dice as well.

Valarian
December 14th, 2007, 14:35
I've vaguely thought about this for the Cortex (Serenity and BSG) system or World of Darkness system. Both of these systems use different combinations of stat and skill depending on the situation. The skills are not tied to a particular stat, the most relevent stat to the roll is used.

I was thinking something along the lines of "The Box" modification to hold multiple dragged die fields for a single roll.

Players allocate the combinations of dice to the stat / skill in the game, then when they roll they would drag the required stat and skill to the die box and roll the dice from there. The die box container would clear once the roll had been made so that it'd be ready for the next roll.

water_prophet
January 21st, 2008, 20:48
I've vaguely thought about this for the Cortex (Serenity and BSG) system or World of Darkness system. Both of these systems use different combinations of stat and skill depending on the situation. The skills are not tied to a particular stat, the most relevent stat to the roll is used.

I was thinking something along the lines of "The Box" modification to hold multiple dragged die fields for a single roll.

Players allocate the combinations of dice to the stat / skill in the game, then when they roll they would drag the required stat and skill to the die box and roll the dice from there. The die box container would clear once the roll had been made so that it'd be ready for the next roll.

Has this gone anywhere? I'm curious if a World of Darkness rules mod has been set up for d10 "successes" gathering.