PDA

View Full Version : Grids on Maps?

Larson
December 9th, 2022, 15:40
I've been following through on the Quick Start Guide #1 for DM's - Building Maps here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/2017230849/FGU+Quick-Start+for+GMs+DMs+Part+1+-+Preparing+An+Adventure

I can't grasp the controls for grids on maps because following the instructions for adding and changing/moving the maps isn't working.

Here is the quote on how to make the grid work with your map image:
"One is to type in guesses for the grid size until it matches, then use the adjust position arrows to nudge it into place. The second is to click on the mouse icon, top left. Then you can click and drag the mouse on the map to match the existing grid (and maybe fine-tune with the numbers and adjust position settings)."

For the second option, I don't understand what it is because I see no "mouse icon."

For the first option, the grid controls for sizing and nudging simply don't seem to work. Specifically, I've set the "size" to 111 (as the instructions say)--but it doesn't seem to make any difference what I select for "Distance Multiplier" and the nudging arrows don't seem to do anything useful. (They make a show of making a change, but the end result doesn't look any different.)

What am I doing wrong?

LordEntrails
December 9th, 2022, 17:35
On the image right above your quote "type in guesses", on that image, above the word "Grid" and outside the box-like border are two icons, one is a grid (on the left) and the other is a mouse (on the right).

If you click the mouse icon, then you can drag (left click hold) a sample grid over the map to position and size the grid.

LordEntrails
December 9th, 2022, 17:38
Oh, on the other method, use the big arrows to nudge rather than the small ones. plus the grid size (111 or whatever) is going to greatly depend on the map you are trying to place the grid on. Most FG maps at 100 pixels per grid. Many of the older Roll20 maps are 72 pixels per grid. Many of the most recent maps you find online (reddit, etc) are 200 pixels or so. Be aware of the map size, many available maps are much larger than you actually want for VTT use.

Zacchaeus
December 9th, 2022, 17:44
See the attached image showing where the mouse icon is.

To draw a grid select that icon and then position the mouse somewhere on your map; right click and hold and then drag out the grid. Depending on what you are doing and what size of grid you want you can just type in the grid size into the box (it will default to square so you only beed to type in the number in the first box). Usually a 50px grid is fine but if it's a big map you may want 100.

Nudging the grid is only really needed if you are trying to match the FGU grid to a grid which is baked into the map. To do that I'd first try and match the grid using the mouse; and then adjust the size of the grid first by whole numbers and then by decimal places if necessary. So, say you draw the grid with the mouse and it sets at 52 px, but it drifts off towards the left/right or top/bottom/ Then change the number to 51 and use the nudge feature to align the grid left/right or top/bottom. If that's still not right then try 50.5, and so on. You'll need to use the nudge function to realign the grid every time you change the size. The nudge is a fraction of a pixel at a time so it may not be too obvious that it is moving until you have clicked a few times. You need to click on the little arrows on the cardinal points on the adjust position diagram. If there is no baked in grid on the map then you probably won't see the grid moving since there's nothing for you to line it up with.

Larson
December 13th, 2022, 01:32
So, here’s what Ive learned with your help:

1. The mouse icon is cleverly disguised as a mouse icon.
2. The mouse will only change the grid size—which can also be changed by entering it under SIZE.
3. Zoom in on the map to see the grid change when you shift it.
4. Shifting the grid comes in two flavors: small shifts (with the small arrows) and larger shifts (with the larger arrows).

So now, I assume that Distance Multiplier is how large each grid square is in actual play (nominally 5 ft)?

Zacchaeus
December 13th, 2022, 10:02
Yes. See video forty five here for all you need to know about grids https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55797-How-do-I-in-Unity (inspired by your query and others that coincidentally were made on Discord the same day).