PDA

View Full Version : Better Character Sheet?

NineShadowEyes
December 7th, 2007, 22:58
I searched back through 2007, but didn't find anything....

Has anyone made a character sheet mod that looks like your basic D&D 3E character sheet? Like what PCGEN prints out? I'm finding the default character sheet somewhat lacking in details.

NineShadowEyes
December 12th, 2007, 16:28
Wow. No one?

Moon Wizard
December 12th, 2007, 16:47
I'm not surprised. I've been doing some ruleset modifications that involve character sheet changes.

Since the only way to see the changes is to start up FG each time to verify the placement of each screen object (or at least reload the ruleset), it takes quite a bit of time to make any serious layout changes.

Cheers,
JPG

Hamish
December 12th, 2007, 18:34
I guess I don't find the default character sheet that lacking in detail....

Griogre
December 12th, 2007, 19:24
I"m not surprised either for two reasons.

Building a character sheet from scratch is one of the most difficult things to do in FG2.

Because of screen resolution being so low compared to printing resolutions (72 ish vs 150-300) it would be difficult to put as much information on a page as the printed sheet. An 11 inch piece of paper will barely fit on a 19 inch LCD 4:3 screen so you would need a screen about twice as big to fit the default 3.5 character sheet.

NineShadowEyes
December 12th, 2007, 21:12
Great... :mad:

Alas. Somehow, I will cope.

Sigurd
December 12th, 2007, 22:20
I wanted to use the NineShadowEyes character sheet....

but I couldn't find it!:pirate:

Sigurd

NineShadowEyes
December 13th, 2007, 01:26
I wanted to use the NineShadowEyes character sheet....

[INDENT]but I couldn't find it!:pirate:

+22 Hide skill. You'll never find it.

Mellock
December 13th, 2007, 11:39
I took to playing with a paper character sheet next to me, since I was so new to D20, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have something that breaks up the modifiers some more, and gave me margins to scribble in (and a place to post some extra post-its on). I don't find the FG character sheet that lacking, but I like to see things written out in my own speshul way.

Griogre
December 13th, 2007, 21:51
I use FG to play Dungeon Bash sometimes and for that game I just use HTML character sheets exported from e-Tools rather than inputting the characters into FG since the mortality rate is so high.

joshuha
December 13th, 2007, 22:00
I took to playing with a paper character sheet next to me, since I was so new to D20, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have something that breaks up the modifiers some more, and gave me margins to scribble in (and a place to post some extra post-its on). I don't find the FG character sheet that lacking, but I like to see things written out in my own speshul way.

In FG 1 I developed a sheet that essentially used a scanned image of a piece of notebook paper as the background and just had a massive text entrybox on each "page".

While you can use such to kinda make any system possible you lose out on so much functionality that I scrapped it and made a setting specific character sheet (in this case it was for Talislanta). Being able to drag and drop numbers, roll dice, etc. require specific types of fields and its hard to be free form and still provide functionality.

Also as mentioned before screen real estate is a big issue if you want to be able to have your sheet open and still look at maps unless you are running huge resolutions or multiple monitors. Thus the need to break things down into tabs.

Mellock
December 13th, 2007, 22:23
Ah, the current FG sheet does the trick easily enough for me. I use if more as a quick and easy way to put in the chat box *what* I rolled...

But things like a simple attack roll are made up of a lot of things I forget too easily, or of which the modifier stays in one place, while the cause of it is gone. Take a simple attack roll, which is modified by your BAB, STR modifier, any relevant feats, like weapon focus, tactics such as flanking, spells, magic weapons (extra post-it if your weapon only effects *some* enemies), any *other* relevant magic item, and then we're on to "miscellaneous" (which I scribble the cause of along the margin, so I can easily see if something needs adjusting.)

Simply put: for me it's the D20 system that simply *requires* a bit of scrap paper. I simply can't remember all that stuff without having a bit more experience with it.

joshuha
December 14th, 2007, 00:42
Ah, the current FG sheet does the trick easily enough for me. I use if more as a quick and easy way to put in the chat box *what* I rolled...

But things like a simple attack roll are made up of a lot of things I forget too easily, or of which the modifier stays in one place, while the cause of it is gone. Take a simple attack roll, which is modified by your BAB, STR modifier, any relevant feats, like weapon focus, tactics such as flanking, spells, magic weapons (extra post-it if your weapon only effects *some* enemies), any *other* relevant magic item, and then we're on to "miscellaneous" (which I scribble the cause of along the margin, so I can easily see if something needs adjusting.)

Simply put: for me it's the D20 system that simply *requires* a bit of scrap paper. I simply can't remember all that stuff without having a bit more experience with it.

I may have a solution for that soon. Stay tuned.

NineShadowEyes
December 14th, 2007, 01:52
Well, it's ok. I'm switching to C&C eventually so it'll be just dandy.

Dachannien
December 14th, 2007, 05:44

My group's custom ruleset autocalculates a number of things like total attack bonuses. The main reasons I haven't shared it outside my group are because of the OGL restrictions and because there are several places where you kind of have to beat it into submission to make the effects of certain feats show up correctly.

Mellock
December 14th, 2007, 09:06
I'll be giving Savage Worlds a try sometime soon. I have a feeling that may be more of the thing for me. :D

richvalle
December 14th, 2007, 13:47
I may have a solution for that soon. Stay tuned.

I'm curious about this...

:)

rv

joshuha
December 14th, 2007, 23:10
I'm curious about this...

:)

rv

This is a flash demo of a work in progress. I am still playing around with the rendering so its like 9 meg so apologize for that ahead of time.

https://www.ptolus-fg.com/demo/Verbose_Demo.htm

Mellock
December 15th, 2007, 01:03
Oh, wow. Now that's what I call *handy*

NineShadowEyes
December 15th, 2007, 02:36
Wow. Way cool.

Valarian
December 15th, 2007, 10:12
And Joshuha does it again with the amazing coding. This is extremely useful.
All I can hope is that the code will be made public and I'll be able to follow it. I can only imitate the artistry of others at the moment, and it's frustrating.

MrJamela
December 15th, 2007, 18:50
That is very nice......

Great improvements.

buggy
December 22nd, 2007, 17:04
I have a general ques for all if there is no 3.5 version sheet avail for down load for fg2 then what off getting from a competitor from a file of your own and use that either that or homemade one; a wotc one or the rpg host kind.. they have a bunch. Heres a another ques I want to purchase the disk to run as pc and eventually as GM. Does one have to buy more terrain tiles and creature pictures to place on map or are they free? or can you go by your own file and send the real one from any 3.5 book? buggy out. Can someone send me a http of a pc sheet and maybe a pic of a tile of a creature from the system fg2soemthing simple like a orc? buggy out

Griogre
December 22nd, 2007, 19:35
I have a general ques for all if there is no 3.5 version sheet avail for down load for fg2 then what off getting from a competitor from a file of your own and use that either that or homemade one; a wotc one or the rpg host kind.. they have a bunch.
FG2 comes with a 3.5 d20 character sheet. Just not the standard one. The standard one would not fit on your screen and be legible. This thread was originally about if there was a character sheet *exactly* like the WotC ones.

Heres a another ques I want to purchase the disk to run as pc and eventually as GM. Does one have to buy more terrain tiles and creature pictures to place on map or are they free? or can you go by your own file and send the real one from any 3.5 book? buggy out.
First make sure you buy the Full version not the lite version. You need the Full version to GM and there is not upgrade from lite to full. Next, you don't need to buy any more files for terrain or portraits. The GM sends whatever images he has put in the campaigns image folder. The images have to be in a stardard format like png or jpeg.

Can someone send me a http of a pc sheet and maybe a pic of a tile of a creature from the system fg2soemthing simple like a orc? buggy out
I'll post a screen but FG does not use tiles for maps. You can either draw on the map on the fly with a pencil tool our use an image for your map. Check out the gallery from more screens of FG in use.

Mellock
December 22nd, 2007, 21:14
My eyes... the goggles... they do nothing!!

I can't believe you're stil playing with those dice! :D

Griogre
December 23rd, 2007, 09:47
LOL, well I never have to worry about someone using that color dice and the bright barf yellow pointers can be seen on just about any surface. :D

Doswelk
January 2nd, 2008, 01:32
And Joshuha does it again with the amazing coding. This is extremely useful.

You should see some of the other code he has done for another d20 ruleset...

Basically when you enter your class you can specify whether it is psionic or magic capable and thus adds the class to the spell tab or psionic tab!

At this time I cannot say any more....