PDA

View Full Version : Tokens - more on sizing

NineShadowEyes
December 4th, 2007, 03:21
I must be missing something. I've read lots of posts that indicate tokens can be created at nearly any size and they should scale when placed on a map. Mine don't. I made some NPC PNG tokens at 63x63 pixels (96dpi, 24-bit) and they're huge compared to the PC tokens or the lettered circle tokens on a map.

Sigurd
December 4th, 2007, 05:16
I believe the optimum token size is 63x63 at 72dpi (the default screen res). That said, a lot of tokens are larger and you can adjust the map to work with many 'standards'. So long as you are consistant with all your tokens it works.

You can use the combat tracker to resize individual tokens in game but it is not as easy.

Sigurd

NineShadowEyes
December 4th, 2007, 06:09
I believe the optimum token size is 63x63 at 72dpi (the default screen res). That said, a lot of tokens are larger and you can adjust the map to work with many 'standards'. So long as you are consistant with all your tokens it works.

That's interesting. The portraits are 96dpi so I just assumed the tokens would be too.

Sigurd
December 4th, 2007, 06:40
You may be right. The 63x63 is the portraits.

Actually with the ability to zoom 63x63 is acceptable for everything but I think 50x50 is the small standard. Many tokens are larger. I take 63x63 at 72dpi as a rule of thumb for everything.

Sigurd

Dachannien
December 4th, 2007, 13:31
As long as your tokens are all created to the same scale (such as 50x50 for a 5' token), you can make them scale through the following process:

1. Open up a map.
2. Drop a token onto the map.
3. Zoom in or out as appropriate so that the token becomes scaled appropriately for the map. The token will remain the same size while the map zooms in and out, effectively changing the token scale relative to the map.
4. When satisfied, right click the token and pick the "Lock Token Scale" option. This locks the scale for any tokens dropped onto the map from then on.

This process works regardless of the scale of the map relative to the tokens, but you do have to use this procedure to tell FG what the relative scale is. So, you don't have to worry about your token size when you create a map, which means you can create maps that are quite large without needing a gigantic image file, and at the same time, you can make maps that are more detailed if they encompass nothing more than a room or a small building.

The only requirement is that the tokens are the same scale, so you'll need to whip out your graphics editor and resize some of your tokens if your tokens are different scales.

BTW - I could be wrong, but I don't think FG cares what the dpi of an image is. It only cares about the size of the image in pixels.

Griogre
December 4th, 2007, 20:19
Correct on the dpi. I would use pixels over dpi because with dpi size changes on the screen with different resolutions.

The actual size of you tokens is not that important other than things will be easier for you if you make the tokens to the same scale - whatever it is. As mentioned many do use 50 pixel squares for a 5x5 medium sized monster. I use 32 pixels myself, but I use "portrait" style tokens not "top down" tokens. The trade off is really how much map do you want to show vs detail on the tokens. There is no real bad answer to that. However most comercial token packs use 50 pixels for medium size creatures.

It is ceratainly possible to make all you tokens the same size and then scale them using the combat tracker but large and tiny tokens may will not look that good.

NineShadowEyes
December 4th, 2007, 20:51
I use 32 pixels myself, but I use "portrait" style tokens not "top down" tokens.

I do, too. In fact, I'm trying to match the portrait tokens of the PCs. 38x38 was just a bit too big. I guess 32x32 is the magic number?

Griogre
December 4th, 2007, 21:02
The "coin" portraits and default letter tokens in FG2 now actually come in at 30 pixels I believe. I actually originally picked 32 in the beginning because I usually made portraits at 64x64 (instead of 63x63) and I just halfed the size of the portraits to get tokens for FG1 (thankfully you don't have to make PC tokens anymore). The fact the tokens almost match the built in ones was a bonus, though in FG1 the build in tokens were 28 pixels I think.

NineShadowEyes
December 5th, 2007, 09:02
Yep, 30x30. It worked out, but, wow, that's tiny. If you didn't know what you started off with it'd be hard to recognize what you ended up with at 30x30. :D

Valarian
December 5th, 2007, 09:18
Is there any way to increase the size of the tokens created by the drag from the character portrait? I'm presuming that these are scaled down to 30x30 as they use the portrait picture which is 63x63. There's got to be somewhere in the code that tells FGII to scale to this size. If it's visible in the XML or Lua, you should be able to change it to 50x50.

DNH
December 5th, 2007, 11:36
I am sure there is. I am sure I have seen it somewhere but I have just looked in all the likely places and couldn't find it.

What I will say is repeat what someone else mentioned a while ago on this same issue, and that is to remember that you can replace the tokens on the combat tracker with others. So, drag your top-line character portrait to the combat tracker to forge the link as normal. Then, drag a better quality, higher-res token from your token box to its place on the combat tracker. Your characters will now be recognisable when you zoom in, instead of being pixellated and lossy!

Valarian
December 5th, 2007, 12:55
Looking at the code, it may be as simple as resizing the portrait_token.png and portrait_token_mask.png file in the icons folder. I'll have to give this a go when I've got access to my laptop.

Valarian
December 5th, 2007, 23:01
Looking at the code, it may be as simple as resizing the portrait_token.png and portrait_token_mask.png file in the icons folder. I'll have to give this a go when I've got access to my laptop.
This is confirmed. I resized the files in the icons folder and the token is larger when dragged off the character portrait. It's that simple.

The following files should be resized:
- portrait_token.png (e.g. 50x50)
- portrait_token_mask.png (e.g. 48x48)
- portrait_target.png (e.g. 56x50)
- portrait_target_mask.png (e.g. 48x48)

Callum
December 6th, 2007, 10:38
This is confirmed. I resized the files in the icons folder and the token is larger when dragged off the character portrait. It's that simple.

This is a great tip, and I'd love to do it. However, I have a weird problem. I'm trying to resize the images using Adobe Photoshop, and this works fine with three of them. However, whenever I try to open "portrait_token.png", Photoshop just hangs! Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

Valarian
December 7th, 2007, 09:13
Nope ... worked for me and I'm using Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.
Possibly the file isn't quite right, you could try unpacking again.

NineShadowEyes
December 7th, 2007, 16:27

You, sir, are the man...

Does this have to be done on all participating computers?

Valarian
December 7th, 2007, 16:43
Change it on the GM's machine and the files will be copied over when the players connect.

Callum
December 7th, 2007, 17:37
Possibly the file isn't quite right, you could try unpacking again.
I've unpacked again, and it still makes Photoshop hang! Is there any chance you could send me your version of that file?

Ged
December 8th, 2007, 09:06
BTW - I could be wrong, but I don't think FG cares what the dpi of an image is. It only cares about the size of the image in pixels.

Correct on the dpi. I would use pixels over dpi because with dpi size changes on the screen with different resolutions.

The dpi size has no function in Fantasy Grounds, all scaling and sizing is based on actual pixels.

Shimrath
April 7th, 2008, 00:33

I have a single character that is of large size in my group, and would like to be able drag that character's token from the portrait at large size when needed. Not for all the characters, just the large guy. Is that possible?

If it is possible, could you walk me through the process?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Xorn
April 7th, 2008, 01:39
Not really. Two quick ways to address that. Either:

A) Adjust his token to 2.0 times size from the combat tracker
B) Make a large token for him and drop it over his "dragged" token in the combat tracker

Sigurd
April 7th, 2008, 05:07
Has anyone found a reliable token format other than 24bit pngs... They seem so big.

Other formats seem to have that ugly white line around the outside.

Sigurd