PDA

View Full Version : Can you force a carriage return / line feed in a frame ?

Syl
December 3rd, 2007, 15:56
I want to display a poem in the chat window. My problem is that there is no way to force the next line to display on the next line so it displays like a song or poem should.

I have tried editing the xml but there is very little documentation on that and my search in the forums have been fruitless.

Here is an example xml :
<frame><frameid>poem</frameid>
line 1
line 2
line 3
</frame>

I have tried adding <br> tags and enclosing each line in <p></p> tags. I could use a different pair of paragraph tags for each line but that would mean dragging each line to the chat window a bore.

Is this even doable ?

Valarian
December 3rd, 2007, 16:06
Create a Story entry just for the poem, and share it with the players for them to read it.

Syl
December 3rd, 2007, 16:36
Unless I am mistaken, this doesnt really solve the problem since I cannot force line feeds in the story entry either. I can always separate lines with <p> tags but this generates a lot of ugly wasted space between lines.

Here is my approach. I put each paragraph/stanza in its own frame. It's not perfect because the verses are not on separate lines.

I understand that the perfect solution might not exist.

Is there somekind of consensus/rule of thumb/guideline on "Sharing Story Page" vs "Dragging to the chat window" ?

Create a Story entry just for the poem, and share it with the players for them to read it.

Griogre
December 4th, 2007, 21:20
Share the story page when you want to be able to leave it displayed so the players can compare what is on the story page as a referance for long periods of time. An example might be a houserule crit table, a written puzzel they are working on, or maybe a cryptic note of clues the session is built around.

Most of the time, you don't want to leave something open for long periods of time for the players to see so drag and dropping to the chat is better.

Syl
December 4th, 2007, 21:26
Another way I figure this could be done is through an image. At its most basic, you format the text in whatever editor then make a snapshot that you crop to only show the part you want.

I admit it is a bit convoluted though.

Griogre
December 4th, 2007, 21:27
It works though. I did that for my worlds calendar because there was no way I was going to be able to format it the way I wanted it in FG.

Syl
December 4th, 2007, 21:28
k, thx for the advice

There is a lot of depth in FGII yet you dont need much to start playing. This is the trademark of great software. I will have to play with an experienced FGII dm at one point just for the learning experience.

Share the story page when you want to be able to leave it displayed so the players can compare what is on the story page as a referance for long periods of time. An example might be a houserule crit table, a written puzzel they are working on, or maybe a cryptic note of clues the session is built around.

Most of the time, you don't want to leave something open for long periods of time for the players to see so drag and dropping to the chat is better.