PDA

View Full Version : Game Calendar Revamp?

Sigurd
December 3rd, 2007, 14:25
The Calendar is a great service. I can't help thinking however that it could use a revamp and rethink, or at very least a periodic removal of canceled games.

I apologize if I am missing a "remove my game" function or a "remove me from this game" function? Anyone see one that I don't?

Also right now I think it takes reminders out of the player notification as soon as the start time passes. This is a problem if you are rushing to the calendar to get details\alias for a game in session. Could it be made to remove the notification 12hrs after the start time?

Sigurd

scytale2
December 3rd, 2007, 14:40
Agreed this is well overdue...

The Calendar is a great service. I can't help thinking however that it could use a revamp and rethink, or at very least a periodic removal of canceled games.

I apologize if I am missing a "remove my game" function or a "remove me from this game" function? Anyone see one that I don't?

Also right now I think it takes reminders out of the player notification as soon as the start time passes. This is a problem if you are rushing to the calendar to get details\alias for a game in session. Could it be made to remove the notification 12hrs after the start time?

Sigurd

Valarian
December 3rd, 2007, 14:55
I too would like to see the ability for a campaign owner to remove the Calendar entry. The removal of players is already possible, but only as the Campaign owner, the player can not remove themselves from the game. I'd also like the ability to delete your own discussion entries, with the option of the campaign owner being able to remove discussion entries connected to that campaign.

Alternatively, could there be a completed campaign option? Once set, concluded campaigns could then be removed by an overnight automated process.

John_Geeshu
December 3rd, 2007, 15:11
The removal of game sessions takes place I think about 3 hours before the game starts which is horrible because it has caused no end of confusion for many of my players, particularly new players.

Hamish
December 3rd, 2007, 15:56
Agree with y'all. Good feature, poor implementation as it is right now.

Mellock
December 3rd, 2007, 16:53
Heh... the calendar is a mite quirky. I just thought I'd mention google for those looking for some kind of alternative. You can find the tour at https://www.google.com/intl/en/googlecalendar/overview.html . It's a free, online shareable calendar. Likewise, with that google account, you can get free -also shareable- documents, spreadsheets, and a blog. (and the gmail e-mail address ofcourse)

It's a pretty nifty combination if you're looking for something to manage your game :)

Wook
December 6th, 2007, 18:32
Like that google calendar thing a lot. Thanks for sharing it... :)

Wook

Griogre
December 6th, 2007, 20:36
This may be a good place to mention that having either a google or yahoo group for your campaign is really useful and not just for the calendars.

The game calendar on this site is a good idea but really needs to improve a bit to be more useful. Allowing GMs to delete campaigns, set a time for a game, and fixing the notice and schedule quirks would go a long way toward this.

Mellock
December 6th, 2007, 21:16
Ah... found it! Google also has a page-creator at https://pages.google.com and it seems you get about 100 megs of free webspace. The site you make is then hosted at https://yoursitename.googlepages.com. (I was looking for it, but couldn't remember the name, and just went with the blog instead)

It's a Beta (heck, it's an alpha, so far). That means you'll get an occasional "woops, sorry, we messed up" page. But the interface is pretty simple... and it's free.

I actually prefer the FG calendar though. It has a voting system, it has comments, it is centralized, it is straightforward, to the point, and it's a much simpler and cleaner solution. Unfortunately, it's just that little bit too *woops* right now. (and I doubt it's on the top of the list of priorities)

Wook
December 6th, 2007, 23:56
Many of the things in the FGII calendar work fine. I guess I am a bit spoiled. Long ago I used the Neverwinter Connections site and they had a great calendar/scheduling system for GMing games and finding them as a player. It is still in use today with a small community. Not saying we need ALL those bells and whistles (like the ranking system and badges and page long reviews), but it was a great system. I hope the FGII calendar moves in that direction.

Griogre
December 7th, 2007, 01:39
NWConnections is a great example of how a matchmaking site should work. It would be truely awesome if the FG calendar worked that way.

Ged
December 7th, 2007, 22:10
The calendar undeniably requires updating and repair. We'll probably do something to it in January (or February) along with some general web site updates.

scytale2
December 10th, 2007, 19:35
The calendar undeniably requires updating and repair. We'll probably do something to it in January (or February) along with some general web site updates.

Good news - why not have a thread for ideas from users....

Matchmaking is really poor and sales of the game would benefit vastly from the ease of actually being able to play on-line. Last minute open "drop in" games advertised would be a great feature, so you can see if there is something going on RIGHT NOW...

Sigurd
December 11th, 2007, 00:27
Games Played = Satisfaction
Satisfaction = Loyalty
Loyalty = Longevity

I hope the calendar doesn't hurt you guys.

I too would love a way to meaningfully post for a pickup game.

-Sigurd

Mellock
December 11th, 2007, 10:55
I too would love a way to meaningfully post for a pickup game.

I just wanted to throw in that there is always still the guild house. And FUM, and rpgvirtualtabletop.com, and a host of external forums and calendars... While the calendar might need some work, it's not as if I haven't gotten by so far :).