PDA

View Full Version : BARON Theme for Fantasy Grounds Unity by TheSimpleDM

TheSimpleDM
October 24th, 2022, 20:35
LORD over Your Fantasy Grounds VTT BARON Style! All at a Peasants Price, FREE!
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/891/view

The BARON Theme for Fantasy Grounds Unity is inspired by the vivid warmth of the 8-BIT Era. ATARI, Shag Carpet, Wood Accents, Red Boxes, and Blue!

But, under its colors, BARON redefines the intelligence of Fantasy Grounds UI. Across its different data types, Reference, Story, Combat and PC Management.

Reference Manual & Ruleset dialogs are framed Leatherbound upon paper. Campaign Dialogs are framed in Black Gloss Slate with vivid buttons and input. Assets & Options dialogs framed upon Green Tinted Glass. Chatbox, Sidebar, and Hotbar are framed in Wood with Gold Buttons & Accents. With PC & Party dialogs framed in Gold & Gray Wood lined in warm felt.

In true BARON Fashion, the Chatbox delivers a "cross-hatch" drop animation, and the Dice Tower commands Flaming Prayers for Mercy upon use!

Add the BARON Theme to Your Fantasy Grounds Unity Experience Today.

In Free Tribute,
Lord Simple

GunnarGreybeard
October 24th, 2022, 21:20
I'm so looking forward to running my first ever OSE game using this theme. Thanks for this!

TheSimpleDM
October 24th, 2022, 21:30
I'm so looking forward to running my first ever OSE game using this theme. Thanks for this!

Absolutely, glad to hear. OSE was a great inspiration. In fact, it was originally developed with the OSE Ruleset active. So I know it works well. Hope you and your players enjoy!

Jiminimonka
October 24th, 2022, 23:54
LORD over Your Fantasy Grounds VTT BARON Style! All at a Peasants Price, FREE!

The BARON Theme for Fantasy Grounds Unity is inspired by the vivid warmth of the 8-BIT Era. ATARI, Shag Carpet, Wood Accents, Red Boxes, and Blue!

But, under its colors, BARON redefines the intelligence of Fantasy Grounds UI. Across its different data types, Reference, Story, Combat and PC Management.

Reference Manual & Ruleset dialogs are framed Leatherbound upon paper. Campaign Dialogs are framed in Black Gloss Slate with vivid buttons and input. Assets & Options dialogs framed upon Green Tinted Glass. Chatbox, Sidebar, and Hotbar are framed in Wood with Gold Buttons & Accents. With PC & Party dialogs framed in Gold & Gray Wood lined in warm felt.

In true BARON Fashion, the Chatbox delivers a "cross-hatch" drop animation, and the Dice Tower commands Flaming Prayers for Mercy upon use!

Add the BARON Theme to Your Fantasy Grounds Unity Experience Today.

In Free Tribute,
Lord Simple

Looks great in Lankhmar!

TheSimpleDM
October 25th, 2022, 14:23
Looks great in Lankhmar!

Glad the BARON will be of aid in the continuing escapades of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser! Don't let them steal all the gold buttons. Enjoy!

GKEnialb
October 27th, 2022, 02:53
This is really nice. Good job!

ScribblingRambler
October 31st, 2022, 17:10
I find this really aesthetically pleasing, and also find the text colours really pop in a way that is easy to read.
Excellent work!

paladinlee
October 31st, 2022, 19:54
This theme is very nice! my only gripe is for some reason, the scroll bar button does not appear. I do not have any extensions running, so I'm not sure what is going wrong. picture attached. Anyone else running in to this issue?

ScribblingRambler
October 31st, 2022, 20:00
This theme is very nice! my only gripe is for some reason, the scroll bar button does not appear. I do not have any extensions running, so I'm not sure what is going wrong. picture attached. Anyone else running in to this issue?

I definitely have scroll buttons, and I'm running a lot of extensions.
It's a bit difficult to see where one is missing from that screenshot. However, it also looks like you're running MoreCore, which I am not. Maybe it's related to that?

paladinlee
October 31st, 2022, 20:11
I think you hit it on the head. It works in PF2E, DND5E, and in CoreRPG, but not MoreCore.

damned
October 31st, 2022, 23:37
MoreCore has many custom elements and doesnt play nicely with a lot of themes.

GKEnialb
November 1st, 2022, 00:35
Played a session yesterday with this theme. My players loved it!

ScribblingRambler
November 2nd, 2022, 18:37
I really like this theme, but had some mixed reviews from my players. It is probably partly because I use the program much more than any of them, and instinctively know where some things are, but also because players and DM's prioritize different features (ex they are more concerned about PC sheet, and less likely to use a lot of hot keys).
There were two main complaints. The glass windows can be a bit confusing when over top other windows, especially because the red X's for closing shine through so brightly. More importantly, the font on the side tabs for various window (especially PC's) fades into the background of the tab.
I was running Pf2, in case it makes a difference.

Idward
November 7th, 2022, 22:13
This is really nice! I have cobbled together my own theme but no matter what I did the chat box boarder kept breaking so I don’t feel confident enough to put it out there for people to download. It is nice to see other people getting it all to work out nicely.

SirMotte
November 7th, 2022, 23:47
Nice work!

Pro:
+ Love the Style you go for. Really nailed it!
+ Clean yet playful
+ Distinction between window types is easy, really inspiring, will test some alterations to my theme based on this idea!
+ Sensible color choices with overall good contrasts. This is hard to pull off, well done!
+ Masterful use of gradients, hats off!

Contra:
- Some windows feel a little too individual and out of place compared to the rest of the theme. While I do understand that you're going for a "under the hood game like look", they might need some tweaking. (e.g. turquoise glass on assets and options)
- Transparency is something very dangerous in any UI, especially when dealing with overlapping windows. This gets confusing fast in my opinion.
- Some icons feel a little too different compared to others, eg the help and close button for windows sport a very different style than most other buttons, also the default edit, delete, add buttons, kind of stand out (they seem to be altered a little, but still feel very core like)
- Party sheet fonts have poor contrast (black on red)
- light or very light fonts are a bad choice with the way fgu renders them, especially when used as graphics (charsheet). I'd opt for at least medium.

scoot138
November 21st, 2022, 18:32
Love the theme, running into an issue with transparency and an extension for shops, Bayne's Emporium Fantasy Shops (both 5e and 2e version) where the shop window is fully transparent. Not sure how to work with this.55195

SirMotte
November 21st, 2022, 22:54
Love the theme, running into an issue with transparency and an extension for shops, Bayne's Emporium Fantasy Shops (both 5e and 2e version) where the shop window is fully transparent. Not sure how to work with this.55195

This would require either Bayne to use another frame image for the background, or for The Simple DM to create a new definition within the theme for whatever Bayne used. The latter is far easier to implement.

I don't own Baynes Extension and as far as I remember it is a vault extension, therefore I can't tell you what you'd need to adjust exactly. A soild frame within the theme would be utilitybox3.png or something similar.

<framedef name="????">
<bitmap file="graphics/frames/fielddark.png" />
<offset>12,12,12,12</offset>
</framedef>

It looks something like this in the xml.

sjbehindthescreen
February 24th, 2023, 01:22
Today after the 2/23/23 update I saw this, things still seem to work okay tho.

superteddy57
February 24th, 2023, 03:35
A hotfix was pushed for something similar, please try another update and see if it resolves the issue.

Moon Wizard
February 24th, 2023, 04:00
Unfortunately, the fix for the SmiteWorks themes won't affect this error for the BARON theme. The theme is attempting to redefine a graphic that no longer exists in CoreRPG, and was using the CoreRPG graphic file (instead of providing it's own). For those cases, we recommend theme developers not define anything to prevent exactly these sorts of issues. The fix will be for the theme developer to remove the icon definition for "footer_narrow".

Regards,
JPG

TheSimpleDM
February 24th, 2023, 04:56
Today after the 2/23/23 update I saw this, things still seem to work okay tho.

I received the errors when launching after game this evening. I will get BARON UPDATED to fix these issues. Thank You all for your use. I see several past comments and suggestions yet to be resolved. I will attempt to address these with the fix as well.

TheSimpleDM
February 24th, 2023, 06:03
Unfortunately, the fix for the SmiteWorks themes won't affect this error for the BARON theme. The theme is attempting to redefine a graphic that no longer exists in CoreRPG, and was using the CoreRPG graphic file (instead of providing it's own). For those cases, we recommend theme developers not define anything to prevent exactly these sorts of issues. The fix will be for the theme developer to remove the icon definition for "footer_narrow".

Regards,
JPG

"footer_narrow" [ERROR] FIXED Submitted to THE FORGE. Thank You for the direction.

mattekure
February 25th, 2023, 14:38
Portrait spacing is wrong now with the Baron theme since the update increased portrait size to 100px

With Baron
https://i.imgur.com/l1jnFMh.png

https://i.imgur.com/DqihnKt.png

sjbehindthescreen
February 26th, 2023, 22:46
I updated via FORGE just now and I'm still seeing the error.

Jiminimonka
February 26th, 2023, 22:50
I updated via FORGE just now and I'm still seeing the error.

You can't update via Forge ;) . After the new version is uploaded it goes thru the approval process and then you will be able to click the Check for Updates button in FGU and it will download the new version. Probably got to wait a day or so for the updated version to go live.

sjbehindthescreen
February 26th, 2023, 22:55
You can't update via Forge ;) . After the new version is uploaded it goes thru the approval process and then you will be able to click the Check for Updates button in FGU and it will download the new version. Probably got to wait a day or so for the updated version to go live.

Ok, I should have said I did a 'Check for Updates' and something did update from my FORGE inventory, but apparently it wasn't this. I wasn't sure how long it takes for the updates to go live so just assumed it was this theme. No worries, it can wait.

Jiminimonka
February 26th, 2023, 22:56
Ok, I should have said I did a 'Check for Updates' and something did update from my FORGE inventory, but apparently it wasn't this. I wasn't sure how long it takes for the updates to go live so just assumed it was this theme. No worries, it can wait.

Ahh the old red highlight - I am not sure that lights up for Forge content yet, just the Store and FGU stuff.

Idward
February 26th, 2023, 23:08
I am getting this error when loading the theme in Pathfinder 2e:
[2/26/2023 6:02:02 PM] [WARNING] font: Font (tokenbagasset-list) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [SDM_BARON] [graphics/graphics_fonts.xml]
[2/26/2023 6:02:02 PM] [WARNING] font: Font (assetview-empty) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [SDM_BARON] [graphics/graphics_fonts.xml]
[2/26/2023 6:02:03 PM] [ERROR] icon: Could not find image file (graphics/icons/footer_narrow.png) for icon (footer_narrow). [SDM_BARON] [graphics/graphics_icons.xml]

I have updated to the latest files after you mentioned having a patch out.

LazerGonzo
February 28th, 2023, 16:02
"footer_narrow" [ERROR] FIXED Submitted to THE FORGE. Thank You for the direction.

Still having the issue. Updated through the launcher this morning, and the log is still showing two warnings and an error:

[2/28/2023 8:54:36 AM] [WARNING] font: Font (tokenbagasset-list) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [SDM_BARON] [graphics/graphics_fonts.xml]
[2/28/2023 8:54:36 AM] [WARNING] font: Font (assetview-empty) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [SDM_BARON] [graphics/graphics_fonts.xml]
[2/28/2023 8:54:37 AM] [ERROR] icon: Could not find image file (graphics/icons/footer_narrow.png) for icon (footer_narrow). [SDM_BARON] [graphics/graphics_icons.xml]

On the Forge page, it says last updated 126 days ago. Assume it's still going through the SW approval process?

mattekure
February 28th, 2023, 16:03
Still having the issue. Updated through the launcher this morning, and the log is still showing two warnings and an error:

[2/28/2023 8:54:36 AM] [WARNING] font: Font (tokenbagasset-list) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [SDM_BARON] [graphics/graphics_fonts.xml]
[2/28/2023 8:54:36 AM] [WARNING] font: Font (assetview-empty) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [SDM_BARON] [graphics/graphics_fonts.xml]
[2/28/2023 8:54:37 AM] [ERROR] icon: Could not find image file (graphics/icons/footer_narrow.png) for icon (footer_narrow). [SDM_BARON] [graphics/graphics_icons.xml]

On the Forge page, it says last updated 126 days ago. Assume it's still going through the SW approval process?

you cant trust the last updated date on the Forge. That date refers to when the text of the entry was updated, not when the content was updated. So its basically saying the description was last updated 126 days ago.

LazerGonzo
March 1st, 2023, 22:07
you cant trust the last updated date on the Forge. That date refers to when the text of the entry was updated, not when the content was updated. So its basically saying the description was last updated 126 days ago.

I was not aware of that. Ran another launcher update, and it's still happening.

That said, I feel it's important to note : this theme is flippin' great. So thanks for making it (just to make sure you know it's appreciated).

Icaryum
March 2nd, 2023, 01:13
Continuing a thread in [Theme] SirMottes Magnificent Darkness as per requested.

To recap, I get this error 56519 when I start my client up. I use 5e. The theme does work perfectly as much as I can tell.
The chat shows this: 56520
The extension itself in the game folder is named SDM_BARON.ext.

I also just realized that I was confusing the Baron theme with SirMotte's Hearth theme. I apoligize for my stupidity.

Icaryum
March 2nd, 2023, 01:17
I just tested the Hearth theme and it works just fine. I'm getting to old for this... It's Baron I was trying to load and was using

Jiminimonka
March 2nd, 2023, 07:05
Did a patch get pushed and it's not actually changed anything?

Kelrugem
March 2nd, 2023, 09:49

I think that got actually updated, so that the date also refers to new (approved) uploads; but I cannot find this as release note anywhere anymore, so I might be wrong :)

If the upload got already approved, then it still has to be switched to the live server :) (in case no-one mentioned yet)

Icaryum
March 3rd, 2023, 18:38
I'll give it the weekend for the update to get squared away and see if anything changes by Monday. Like I've said, It's annoying, but it still works.

bmos
March 3rd, 2023, 23:50
I think that got actually updated, so that the date also refers to new (approved) uploads; but I cannot find this as release note anywhere anymore, so I might be wrong :)

If the upload got already approved, then it still has to be switched to the live server :) (in case no-one mentioned yet)I believe you're right. Builds uploaded (whether or not they're set to live), text updates, image updates.

Kelrugem
March 4th, 2023, 05:12
I believe you're right. Builds uploaded (whether or not they're set to live), text updates, image updates.

Yeah, I just tested it: New uploads certainly reset the "Last updated x days ago" :) Thanks for confirmation :)

mattekure
March 4th, 2023, 23:05
Yeah, I just tested it: New uploads certainly reset the "Last updated x days ago" :) Thanks for confirmation :)

awesome, glad it got fixed.

GunnarGreybeard
March 11th, 2023, 16:06
Just wanted to throw this out here in this thread in case others are also seeing it. While the Forge is now showing "Last updated 6 days ago" (so about March 5th) even after updating, and creating a new clean 5e campaign, with no other extensions or mod, I'm still seeing that same set of errors reported earlier;

[3/11/2023 9:55:17 AM] [WARNING] font: Font (tokenbagasset-list) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [SDM_BARON] [graphics/graphics_fonts.xml]
[3/11/2023 9:55:17 AM] [WARNING] font: Font (assetview-empty) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [SDM_BARON] [graphics/graphics_fonts.xml]
[3/11/2023 9:55:19 AM] [ERROR] icon: Could not find image file (graphics/icons/footer_narrow.png) for icon (footer_narrow). [SDM_BARON] [graphics/graphics_icons.xml]

Does not seem to affect anything in-game, just seeing the initial console error.

sirkerry
March 11th, 2023, 21:31
Just wanted to throw this out here in this thread in case others are also seeing it. While the Forge is now showing "Last updated 6 days ago" (so about March 5th) even after updating, and creating a new clean 5e campaign, with no other extensions or mod, I'm still seeing that same set of errors reported earlier;

[3/11/2023 9:55:17 AM] [WARNING] font: Font (tokenbagasset-list) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [SDM_BARON] [graphics/graphics_fonts.xml]
[3/11/2023 9:55:17 AM] [WARNING] font: Font (assetview-empty) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [SDM_BARON] [graphics/graphics_fonts.xml]
[3/11/2023 9:55:19 AM] [ERROR] icon: Could not find image file (graphics/icons/footer_narrow.png) for icon (footer_narrow). [SDM_BARON] [graphics/graphics_icons.xml]

Does not seem to affect anything in-game, just seeing the initial console error.

Yeah, seeing the same thing.

Icaryum
March 20th, 2023, 00:14
Just got back from vacation, so I try again... It's still there. I'll just live with it since it has no effect on the game and I love the theme.
TY everyone for the efforts on my behalf, it is much appreciated.

Marbanya
March 24th, 2023, 16:10
I am receiving the following error regarding a missing footer image.

Trenloe
March 24th, 2023, 16:48

This error is purely reporting that a foot graphic image can't be found. As stated, it doesn't effect anything in game - in fact, I can't actually see where the narrow footer is used - this used to be part of the CoreRPG ruleset but was removed, probably because it wasn't being used. For context - the "footer" image is normally used at the bottom of a formatted text field (not all, but some) to indicate where the bottom of the field is - a good example is the curly line graphic at the bottom of a reference manual page, which is still there when using this theme as the base ruleset uses the footer_wide graphic, it doesn't use the footer_narrow image.

So, whereas the error is annoying, it's not stopping you using this theme.

thornlord
April 17th, 2023, 00:12
So, whereas the error is annoying, it's not stopping you using this theme.

Thanks for following up and explaining root cause for this issue.

BARON Theme is one of my favourites. Thank you for publishing.
T

Wintermute
June 7th, 2023, 21:28
Any chance of a version of your wonderful theme without the semi-transparent backgrounds?

Roach
August 30th, 2023, 10:09
Nvm

JimSocks
January 7th, 2024, 07:52
Has been for quite some time actually... Open a note and look at how the title of it is basically unreadable. See how many window types are semi-transparent and cannot be read easily due to the font color. Open a story, and look how the text disappears off the left margin.

I just wanted to call attention to it, since it's a product I bought from Smiteworks. I like the look of it, but nowadays it's basically unusable.

Moderator: Moved this pots to here since it wasn't relevant to House of Healing

TheSimpleDM
February 21st, 2024, 03:17
UPDATED 02/20/24 - Up to FGU v 4.4.9 NO ERRORS

UPDATE your FGU - The current "BARON 2.0" is on THE FORGE now. I have an effective strategy to keep it compatible with the SmiteWorks CoreRPG build and other Rulesets with each UPDATE now.

Sadly, I updated this Theme twice in the last year. It always seemed fixed on my PC but once I uploaded it to THE FORGE and reloaded FGU it would still throw errors. Turns out that you need to assign the most recent build to the Live Channel from the drop-down. I was under the impression that the channel was set by a post-review approval.

So, tragic. But, I felt as embarrassing as it is. Any who have messaged here or praised the BARON Theme. I did try to fix it at least twice, and Marcus of 'Old School Essentials Ruleset' Conversion had helped me get the Theme fixed at one point. It just never worked. IT WAS the CHANNEL DROPDOWN. Doh.

This is a NEW Build of BARON. There is really little difference except, it is not throwing errors, and some of the little pixel issues you may or may not have noticed in the BARON UI have been resolved.

Thanks for your use of BARON. Of course, know that the majority of BARON's UI has been for some time now the default FGU Theme. If you don't select a Theme for a Campaign, you get BARON. That is really why I did not push getting BARON ERROR-FREE, as it had been released as the FGU Default in an Official Build by SmiteWorks Dev, which was always ERROR-FREE.

For those who can't live without the subtle differences between the FGU Default theme and Simple DM's 'BARON Theme', I am one of them, I will keep it UPDATED in the future. Thanks Again.

Egheal
February 21st, 2024, 08:47
Thanks for this new version of Baron.
There is a problem with another extension called FGTabber2 : the icons aren't close to the right side anymore.
This problem is specific to Baron. The other themes are fine.
There is also a strange vertical line that appear on my large setup (5120X1440).
Please see the screenshoots here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aq94oZ32i0Fzk4UKaKgqXEl5SihZ3g?e=0vG2vx

TheSimpleDM
March 7th, 2024, 19:14
UPDATED 03/07/24 - BARON 2.0.1 - v4.5.0 READY!! - NO ERRORS
As I had shared in a previous post. I have a plan going forward to keep BARON up to date with FGU Updates. Thanks for enjoying and using FANTASY GROUNDS UNITY v4.5.0 with the BARON Theme.

BARON Theme for Fantasy Grounds Unity on THE FORGE

Happy Gaming!
- The Simple DM

Jiminimonka
March 10th, 2024, 18:20
UPDATED 03/07/24 - BARON 2.0.1 - v4.5.0 READY!! - NO ERRORS
As I had shared in a previous post. I have a plan going forward to keep BARON up to date with FGU Updates. Thanks for enjoying and using FANTASY GROUNDS UNITY v4.5.0 with the BARON Theme.

Happy Gaming!
- The Simple DM

Unfortunately this is not 4.5.0 ready.

Script execution error: [string "SDM_BARON_2_0_1:..ripts/story_book_list.lua"]:7: attempt to call field 'initCustomList' (a nil value)

And loads of windows don't work correctly.

TheSimpleDM
March 10th, 2024, 22:04
!! BARON 2.0.1 DID HAVE ISSUES on v4.5.0; NPC Records and Story Items broken. FIXED, Please UPDATE !!

Thank You, Jiminimonka for ALERTING ME. And, John for providing direction.

Happy Gaming!
- The Simple DM

Egheal
March 10th, 2024, 22:09
Thanks! I now see 3 Baron themes in the list. I think there is a way to get ride of the older ones but I don't remember how.

Egheal
March 10th, 2024, 22:10

There is a strange golden vertical line on my setup and the icons to the right are unreadable, no extension except Baron. (there is extensions in my example but I checked without).
Thanks again for this awesome theme.

LordEntrails
March 11th, 2024, 00:13
Thanks! I now see 3 Baron themes in the list. I think there is a way to get ride of the older ones but I don't remember how.
Delete them all from your FG Data folder (extensions or vault) then re-run the update.

TheSimpleDM
March 11th, 2024, 00:38

Yes, I was submitting Builds with different file names on the last 3 builds. I was not aware it would produce duplication in FGU Extensions list.

All future Builds will be named 'SDM_BARON'

Other Builds can be deleted by accessing your Fantasy Grounds extensions directory 'Fantasy Grounds/extensions/' and deleting files 'SDM_BARON_*_*'

If you struggle to find the directory. Clicking on 'Assets' in FGU and clicking 'Folder' will launch your Installation directory.

I have also FIXED the Sidebar Text & Icons and removed the Verticle Gold Bar cited.

UPDATE for FIXES

Thanks for the Feedback and Support.

The Simple DM

Egheal
March 11th, 2024, 11:59
Thanks a lot!

DunMas
March 18th, 2024, 19:17
Hello! I am here to report that your theme has issues with showing Pathfinder 2Es action symbols.

TheSimpleDM
March 29th, 2024, 02:29
Hello! I am here to report that your theme has issues with showing Pathfinder 2Es action symbols.

PATHFINDER 2 Action Symbols Fixed. Thank You for reporting the issue and using BARON on Fantasy Grounds Unity.

| Pathfinder 2 RPG - Monster Core AVAILABLE NOW! (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=PZOSMWPZO12003FG)

| THE CORE IS COMPLETE! - PATHFINDER 2 REMASTERED on Fantasy Grounds Unity (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?sys=24#TopSellers)

Egheal
April 18th, 2024, 06:40
I think I found a minor esthetic bug in D&Dv5 and CoC rulesets. 60591
No extension except Baron theme.

TheSimpleDM
April 18th, 2024, 16:56
Thank you for reporting this. I will address this shortly.