PDA

View Full Version : LFP: Lankhmar "City of Adventure", Pathfinder 1E, 3-5 players 1 weeknight bi-weekly

kneebone
October 15th, 2022, 16:15
FG License: Fantasy Grounds Unity, Ultimate License, only demo version required to join
Game System: Pathfinder 1E

Time Zone: Eastern Time, North America
Day of week and time: Monday, Wednesday or Thursday evening at 7pm/8pm EST+ to 11 or 12 at the latest
If new game, planned start date: Session 0 Might be the week of Oct 24-28th
Planned Duration & Frequency: 3-5 hours Bi-Weekly
Term: 6 Months or until whenever we get sick of it.

Text or Voice: Both. Mostly voice during game night, but I'm also a fan of text between sessions.
Voice software used: Discord
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? If I can figure it out, and it's not a drain on my system, I might like to record. It's nice to have a record of the game. I don't expect us to become RPG superstars.

Roleplay & Combat mix: 60/40, It's an urban campaign, so there will probably be more NPC interaction than the usual campaign. Don't get me wrong, I love me a good combat as well.
Number of Players in game & needed: 3-5
Character starting level & equipment: Level 1, limited starting equipment
Character restrictions: None. Lankhmar has a different vibe than a standard high fantasy game, but there's magic, monsters and strange humanoids etc, so anything goes.

Details of your scenario: From the pages of Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories comes one of the first and most interesting fantasy settings in literature. Leiber is often credited with coining the term Swords and Sorcery, and was a contemporary of Lovecraft, Howard and Smith. I first encountered Lankhmar as a reading suggestion in the AD&D DMG, and then as its own supplement in the mid 80's. Ever since then I have been enamored with the setting.

Lankhmar; The City of Thieves, City of the Night, City of the Black Toga, City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokes, City of Guilds, and most importantly City of Adventure. The World of Nehwon's biggest metropolis is the backdrop to this campaign. Cross paths with unscrupulous guild thieves, cunning merchants, desperate beggars or deformed sorcerers twisted by the black magic they wield. The possibilities are limitless.

Our game will begin on the day of the bat in the month of the goat. To Lankhmarts, this day is known as the Night of Fear. Legend has it that on this night, the very Gods of Lankhmar roam the city. They wander the streets to see if the citizens have kept Lankhmar in accordance with their wishes. It is said that anyone laying eyes on them dies horribly. During the day Lankhmarts prepare gifts for their temple while the nobles of the city are seen parading about in their black togas. All conversations are held in low whispers. It is a day of such bad omens that no business is conducted. At night, people stay indoors behind locked doors with weapons kept close at hand. Not even thieves willingly venture into the night.

Last Chance is a gaming house in the Tenderloin district of the city. What brings you to this house of chance on a night where only the mad would be out on the streets is your business, but you are far from the only one. Dusk is rapidly approaching. The proprietor, Fatty McCome, grins jovially as the bouncer, a giant blonde-haired northerner known as Big Bwalgi, locks the door. "Evening ladies and gents," Fatty chirps in his lilt. "Thank you for choosing Last Chance on this most auspicious of evenings. Nothing worse than spending the Night of Fear alone, eh? Drink, game, while the hours away. If'n ye be needin' a bed, there's cots set up in the basement. Only the first floor is open this night. Enjoy! If there's anything we at Last Chance can do for you, come bend me'ear and we'll see what we can do!"

About me: My name is Rick, and I have been playing TTRPG's since the early 80's. I mostly play online these days. Fantasy Grounds is my preferred VTT and Pathfinder 1E is my preferred system.
About the game: I have a few adventures cooked up, but we'll see what characters we get and how the players interact before saying the game is going to be this or that. I'd like to tailor the adventures to the players, but I have a few generic type adventures ready to go, just to get us started.

Ray the Explorer
October 15th, 2022, 16:31
I am interested in your game. I am new to this site and online ttrpg play in general, however I am not new to Pathfinder. I have discord, no issue there. I like building and playing characters that are team focused, usually playing support roles.

kneebone
October 15th, 2022, 16:35
Good stuff Ray. Thanks for your interest. I saw your advert earlier and thought you might be a good fit. Over the next few days I will be in contact and we can find a time to meet.

alexatlanta
October 16th, 2022, 15:14
I would love to join this game. It is perfectly timed for when I can play. I have been playing pathfinder for some time and love a good 1e game with some creativity and urban focus. Ping me if you have an opening. I have Discord and can prep a character quickly. Thanks.

kneebone
October 16th, 2022, 16:41
Thanks for your interest Alex. In the next few days I will message all of the interested parties to see if we can iron out a suitable time, and we will take it from there.

ScyZokth
October 16th, 2022, 17:31
Hello. I would also be interested in joining your campaign. I've played 3.5 (and a bit of PF2e before) but never actually got around to playing PF1e. As far as I'm aware, 3.5 and PF1e share a lot of common DNA between them, so I can hopefully learn the differences relatively quickly.

kneebone
October 16th, 2022, 18:37
Thanks for your interest Scy. Pathfinder is basically an extension of 3.5 and they share the same bones. Truth be told, I still suffer from a fair amount of ‘edition bleed’ when going from memory, as like you I played 3rd edition more than anything else. I have more pathfinder 1e resources for FG, and I do think it’s an improvement on 3.5.
In the next couple days I will set up a discord server and we’ll start getting together to see what we have here.

kneebone
October 18th, 2022, 00:04
Hey folks. We have five interested applicants, and I have just sent out invites to the Discord server. Hopefully we can all meet and chat soon and figure out a good night and time to do this thing. If you have any problems or somehow my message didn't get through to you, let me know and I will resend.

Many thanks.
Rick