PDA

View Full Version : Beta Release v4.3: Worse Line-of-Sight performance in some situations

Ecks
October 2nd, 2022, 22:21
I observed that line-of-sight performance seems to be worse on v4.3.0 vs v4.2.2 in at least one situation. In this specific case I moved a token around a room in a specific path with token lock - in v4.2.2 the token moves around the room at the expected pace with no lag, but on v4.3 the token moves very slowly and skips a bit.

To recreate in a new 5E campaign with no extensions:

Load the Tomb of Annihilation module and open "Player Map - Rotten Halls"
Create a PC and add to the combat tracker. The PC is completely empty except for a name and portrait.
Drop the token on the map here: Path.JPG (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54572)
Enable Player Vision Preview
Note that Line-of-sight is enabled for the map. Lighting is disabled.
Enter the movement path shown in the screenshot (using ALT to use token lock movement as GM): Path.JPG (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54572)
Approve the movement

Depending on which version you're on, in step 7 the token will either move as expected (v4.2.2) or really slow (v4.3).

Zarestia
October 2nd, 2022, 22:48
FoW in 4.3 is now disabled by default. Do you also see this if you enable it?

Ecks
October 3rd, 2022, 02:36
Yes, I see the same with or without FoW enabled, however it's slightly slower if it is enabled.

Here's how long it took the planned movement (from OP (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54572)) to complete in each:

v4.3 FoW Enabled/PC: ~6 seconds
v4.3 FoW Disabled: ~5 seconds
v4.2.2: ~2.5 seconds

SilentRuin
October 3rd, 2022, 04:16
I've sent moon wizard my 5E BIG test campaign I use to stress test my extensions. Without any extensions its unusable in TEST - while usable in LIVE.

I have a ton of NPCs (varying factions and owned by my test client - as I have extensions this is designed to run with and test dealing with players running NPCs for me and limiting their client views) on a map with lots of interesting LOS. Hopefully it helps them find it. If anyone else wants to use the BIG test map here is the LIVE version.

Moon Wizard
October 3rd, 2022, 06:09
Thanks for reporting. I’ve forwarded this thread to @cpinder.

Regards,
JPG

Ecks
October 15th, 2022, 00:19
FYI, I tried this again on the latest TEST build (2022-10-14) and it seems the Line of Sight performance has gotten worse (at least in the test case from OP). The planned movement (here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54572)) now takes about 11 seconds to complete.

Moon Wizard
October 15th, 2022, 01:07
It should be the same as v4.2.3. Are you seeing a big difference between v4.2.3 and v4.3.0 on the same map?

Note, this was reverted this morning to use the old method; since the new algorithm that @cpinder was looking at did not perform up to our expectations.

Regards,
JPG

Ecks
October 15th, 2022, 01:15
Yes, a pretty significant difference actually:

In v4.2.3: the movement path (OP (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54572)) takes about 2.5 seconds to complete
In v4.3.0: the movement path (OP (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54572)) takes about 10 seconds to complete

Even just opening the map Rotten Halls from the Tomb of Annihilation module in a new 5E campaign on v4.3.0 (no tokens on map) makes the entire program slow down significantly. Turning off Line-of-sight (or closing the image) seems to resolve the slowness.

On v4.3.0 with today's updates.

Moon Wizard
October 15th, 2022, 01:24
Thanks. I’ve bumped to @cpinder who is working on that code.

JPG

Moon Wizard
October 15th, 2022, 04:00
@cpinder just gave me a new set of code files that should help with this.

Can you update and let me know what you find?

Thanks,
JPG

Ecks
October 15th, 2022, 04:43
Just updated and that seems to have done the trick, in the one scenario I tried the performance was similar between 4.2.2 and 4.3.0. Thanks!

Moon Wizard
October 15th, 2022, 05:17
Thanks for following up, and providing testing. We appreciate it!

Regards,
JPG

SilentRuin
October 15th, 2022, 16:22
Thanks for following up, and providing testing. We appreciate it!

Regards,
JPG

On my test case that annoying host only showing tokens invisible is still happening (both in test - shown here - and live). Though the speed is now the same.

knorbet77
October 16th, 2022, 01:09
On my test case that annoying host only showing tokens invisible is still happening (both in test - shown here - and live). Though the speed is now the same.

Out of interest, if you set ambient lighting to "none" and then back to "sunlight" does this fix the visibility issue? I have a campaign that's stuck in a weird state that causes the same symptoms for the host everytime I open it. So far following the above steps fixes it, so I'm wondering if there is a LOS setting that is getting incorrectly set somewhere.

SilentRuin
October 16th, 2022, 01:43
Out of interest, if you set ambient lighting to "none" and then back to "sunlight" does this fix the visibility issue? I have a campaign that's stuck in a weird state that causes the same symptoms for the host everytime I open it. So far following the above steps fixes it, so I'm wondering if there is a LOS setting that is getting incorrectly set somewhere.

That works (and I vaguely remember this as a workaround last time I brought this up as its been around for ages) but if you get out and come back in your right back to the same thing - where you have to apply this "workaround" every time you come up in the map (or app I did not actually test which as both are equally annoying for me). Thanks for the reminder - I had completely forgotten this. Still a problem though.

SilentRuin
October 16th, 2022, 20:15
In addition to the BigMap test I provided (no extensions needed and only running host) and the invisible tokens when another is selected as described above - I also want to know why the double click on the token to bring up its sheet no longer works when in a large crowded map? Easily duplicated by double clicking on one of the tokens in map which are all in the CT.

Moon Wizard
October 16th, 2022, 20:28
Perhaps the performance overhead of the number of tokens on the map is delaying the second click? Does it work on a map with less tokens?

Regards,
JPG

SilentRuin
October 16th, 2022, 20:33
Perhaps the performance overhead of the number of tokens on the map is delaying the second click? Does it work on a map with less tokens?

Regards,
JPG

Always works on smaller map. And yes there is some "flash" of LOS going on when it loses it in more crowded stuff that I don't notice in lesser populated maps. Almost like it goes to more than one perspective (something processing on single click that can slow it down to lose double click when its populated a lot more). I suspect the double click needs to be stored on the single click to insure it gets processed after? Something like that. You'd have to run through the test Map I have or make your own more crowded one - its up in this thread someplace for my test map.