PDA

View Full Version : 5E - Ammo Manager

GEONE
September 16th, 2022, 03:36
Forge Page:
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/845/view

Description:
This D&D 5E extension allows players to link an ammo entry in their inventory to the ammo a weapon uses in the actions tab of their character sheet. The linked ammo's count will be automatically changed in the actions tab when it is increased or decreased in the inventory, and - upon ammo recovery - will update the inventory's ammo count accordingly.

Ammo bundles (i.e. "Arrows (20)" ) are handled correctly, and ammo will only be removed from the inventory in batches of the number listed in the item's name (20 in this case). The remainder will stay ticked in the actions tab (future recoveries will not take into account the remainder from a previous recovery. For this reason, it is recommended you adjust the bundle amount in your inventory manually after a recovery, or you use ammo singles).

An added house rule setting allows you to pick between 25%, 50% (default), 75%, and 100% ammo recovery.

https://i.imgur.com/nmSlb1v.gif

Specifics:
In order to be correctly linked, an item record must be in the players inventory and must have the subtype "Ammunition". The copy of the record that exists in the inventory must be dragged onto the empty link space on the actions tab next to the ammo count for the weapon you want to link it to. Multiple weapons can share the same ammo entry in the inventory, and their checkboxes will be synced. Two new radial menu options will appear when right-clicking the ammo counter: "Remove Ammo Link" to break the link between the weapon and the ammo entry in the inventory, and "Recover Ammo" to untick all ticked ammo checkboxes and remove half (by default) the expended ammo from your inventory.

Compatibility:
This extension should be fully compatible with most extensions, unless another extension modifies the ammo section of the actions tab.

Github:
https://github.com/GE0NE/FGU-AmmoManager

Changelog:
- Hotfix to v1.0.1.5
--Fixed not removing weapon entry after weapon removed from inventory.
- Hotfix to v1.0.1.4
--Fixed not hiding non-ranged link on clients' view.
- Hotfix to v1.0.1.3
--Fixed infinite loop for real this time.
- Hotfix to v1.0.1.2
--Fixed infinite loop when unticking ammo checkboxes.
- Hotfix to v1.0.1.1
--Fixed invalid processing when removing ammo not linked to any weapon from an inventory.
- Updated to v1.0.1
--Multiple weapons using the same ammo entry will have their ammo checkboxes linked.
- Released v1.0.0

bmos
September 16th, 2022, 12:45
Very nice! Any plans to put it on github or gitlab?
I'd love to extend it to all CoreRPG-based rulesets.
EDIT: looks like it relies heavily on some stuff that aren't available in CoreRPG so it's not going to be as easy as I'd hoped!

GEONE
September 16th, 2022, 13:25
Very nice! Any plans to put it on github or gitlab?
I'd love to extend it to all CoreRPG-based rulesets.

Sure, here you go: https://github.com/GE0NE/FGU-AmmoManager

I might go through and add comments when I have time, but hopefully things are understood easily enough as-is.

GEONE
September 18th, 2022, 07:15
The forge page should now be up.

GunnarGreybeard
September 18th, 2022, 14:58
Looking forward to trying this out.

MeAndUnique
September 19th, 2022, 18:42
Nice job, thanks for sharing!

GEONE
September 20th, 2022, 13:50
- Hotfix to v1.0.1.2
Patched an urgent bug causing an infinite loop when manually unchecking ammo checkboxes that share an ammo link with another weapon. Forge build should hopefully be approved soon
- Hotfix to v1.0.1.3
Patched infinite loop for real this time (client issue)

FaulteringElf
September 23rd, 2022, 23:26
Love it!
slight improvement question?
would it be possible to add the extra damage and or effects special arrows do?

anathemort
October 18th, 2022, 19:40
Very helpful addition. The view from the player's side is different than expected though and a little buggy. Non-ranged weapons have the ammo indicator and in some cases it overlaps with the other controls.

Player view - 54735
DM view - 54736

GEONE
October 18th, 2022, 20:27
Very helpful addition. The view from the player's side is different than expected though and a little buggy. Non-ranged weapons have the ammo indicator and in some cases it overlaps with the other controls.

Player view - 54735
DM view - 54736

Thanks for the report! I've fixed the issue, but the forge version will take a while to get approved.

BushViper
February 4th, 2023, 02:44
Very nice!

I use your Ammunition Manager extension (awesome, by the way) so my question is this - I haven't used GEONE's ammo extension, but does it offer any features that yours doesn't and/or compliment your extension?

bmos
February 4th, 2023, 11:21
I use your Ammunition Manager extension (awesome, by the way) so my question is this - I haven't used GEONE's ammo extension, but does it offer any features that yours doesn't and/or compliment your extension?It definitely doesn't compliment it. I haven't tried using both at once, but I'd assume they'd be completely broken.

In terms of raw functionality it certainly has less, BUT it's simpler and the drag and drop interface should work much better for people who prefer to keep arrows in their inventory in quivers like "Arrows (20)"
In short, they're just different and it's nice to have competition :)

Features mine has that don't seem to be here:
Includes effects pinned to ammo via Advanced Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)).
Allow recovering ammo at any percentage desired and that percentage is entered at time of recovery rather than via an option.
Enforces loading of certain weapons before they can be fired.
Automates infinite ammunition spells/effects/circumstances via disabling effect.
Supports many rulesets, with special features in Starfinder.

I'd love to hear GEONE's answer since they know their extension better than I do.

GEONE
February 5th, 2023, 04:53
Ah, I wasn't aware your extension existed/supported 5e. I haven't used it so I don't know all its features, so if I get anything wrong just ignore that point.

As for features mine has over bmos':
Uhmmm
-I guess you could say mine is more lightweight?
-You don't have to load the weapon using a button every time you make an attack by default (5e largely hand-waves away loading, so tracking it doesn't make much sense for 5e specifically).
-The ability to use anything as ammo with any weapon set to ranged. So you can sling any custom item from any weapon without needing one of the keywords in its name.
-Ammo is linked directly to a specific item entry in your inventory, and that item's count is deducted from your inventory when you recover your ammo. (not sure if bmos' does this too, the demo video wasn't clear on that).
-Synced ammo check boxes for weapons that share the same ammo (also no idea if bmos' does this too).
-Proper handling of ammo bundles [i.e. "Arrow (20)"].
-Mine is probably buggier so that's more fun!

If you want a bunch of extra robust features then bmos' extension is the way to go. But if you just want a simple QoL addition to the existing 5e flow-of-play, then I think my extension offers a simple addition with minimal interaction.

BushViper
February 5th, 2023, 05:04
Thanks, both of you.

bmos
February 5th, 2023, 11:48
Ammo is linked directly to a specific item entry in your inventory, and that item's count is deducted from your inventory when you recover your ammo. (not sure if bmos' does this too, the demo video wasn't clear on that).This is probably the most important difference.
Mine doesn't deduct from inventory "when you recover your ammo" but rather "when you use ammo."
So mine either expects you to give up on the idea of quivers and swapping them out or to track quivers separately in the inventory. GEONE's extension treats the checkboxes on the Action tab as the quiver and then replenishes it from the inventory.

Halahad
September 26th, 2023, 00:13
Hello! Very helpful ext but I have notice that when you deleting item (for example Dagger) from Inventory Tab it doesn't cause deleting of Actions (Dagger Actions like Normal attack or throwing) from Actions tab. Without your mod it is works fine. It's only my problem or general?

P.S. Also notice that I have similar problem with Ammunition Manager ext - When I adding an item in Inventory tab it doesn't cause appearance of Actions in Actions tab.