PDA

View Full Version : Monster of the Week

bayne7400
September 14th, 2022, 19:00
Listing removed from Forge

Video here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l0K8uEDpoM

paladinlee
October 25th, 2022, 20:48
Thanks for this!! Just starting to explore ApoWo games in FG. I wish there was more support from the publishers...

I tried to create a move but already receiving an error. could it be from garbage in my copy/paste? Recent FG update?

bayne7400
October 25th, 2022, 21:00
Thanks for the console log. It was a Change in last core RPG update. Ill update (hopefully tonight)

bayne7400
October 25th, 2022, 22:40
Ok its updated let me know if that fixed it for you. As far as entering playbooks just cut an paste exactly from the PDF. It is not very forgiving.

Lo Zeno
January 11th, 2023, 11:34
I downloaded the ruleset from the forge today as I'm planning a Monster of the Week campaign for next month; when I created a new campaign in Fantasy Grounds, with no extensions loaded, I got an error immediately:

Failed to load script buffer (Monster of the Week:..manager_effectMOW.lua): [string "Monster of the Week:..manager_effectMOW.lua"]:134: 'end' expected (to close function at line 83) near '<eof>'

I have attached the compiled logs

bayne7400
January 11th, 2023, 12:26
Uploaded fixed version. Just waiting to get cleared.

Lo Zeno
January 11th, 2023, 17:00
Cheers, that was quick!
The updated version does fix the error when loading the campaign, but I have found another issue:
I created the Chosen playbook by copy-pasting the relative parts from the MOTW playbook, as instructed in your video, but when I tested it by creating a new character I got the following error the moment I selected the "How you found out" section of the chosen's Fate:
It prevents me from clicking the checkmark to approve the selection and continue with the character generation.

I've compiled and attached the logs

bayne7400
January 11th, 2023, 17:15
Did you complete all tabs on the class record? I stopped developing this . It is pretty unforgiving as I said above.

Lo Zeno
January 11th, 2023, 17:19
Yes, I completed all the tabs for the Chosen, I was testing it before moving to the Crook. I could probably export the test campaign I'm using to populate the playbooks and give it to you if you're willing to have a look, otherwise I'll have to find a workaround I guess.

bayne7400
January 11th, 2023, 17:22
I tested chosen myself. Send me the mod.file and I can test it tonight. Or take a screenshot of each tab of class record and I can see what's going on.

Lo Zeno
January 11th, 2023, 17:28
Cheers, appreciated.

bayne7400
January 11th, 2023, 18:26
Ok quick answer is it is looking for description text on your Fates. Ill look at it more closely and update the code as that should not be required (I dont think there are descriptions in raw anyway)

I updated it. Was poorly coded. I was teaching myself to use menus so that's why i did it this way. I'll check back in an hour and see if I can flip it to live.

Lo Zeno
January 11th, 2023, 23:40
I pulled the last update and tested it, it seems to work great now, thank you so much!

Lo Zeno
January 12th, 2023, 11:36
I know you mentioned you stopped developing this, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask:
For the Roll window, such as when defining a playbook's moves, we have the Actions tab where we can define the results of 10+, 7-9 and Advanced Move. Is there any chance you could add a "On Miss" field, to paste the text of when a roll misses? Because several Moves (like "The Big Entrance" for the Chosen) have specific results on miss like "On a miss, you’re marked as the biggest threat by all enemies who are present", or the Fixer for the Crook has "On a miss, the only person who can help is someone who absolutely hates you", it would be nice to have these show in the chat windows like the successes.

bayne7400
January 12th, 2023, 12:21
Yeah I am not developing this anymore. Let me know if you find any errors. I would just add it to the first line of 7 to 9 so it throws it in chat

Lo Zeno
January 12th, 2023, 12:51
Unfortunately yeah, I have just completed the playbook for The Crooked and I get a new error after selecting the ratings.
It's attempting to reference a nil value on line 280 of campagin/scripts/manager_char.lua.

I've attached both compiled logs and the exported module with my playbook

bayne7400
January 12th, 2023, 13:08
First I dont see Crook in the PDF.
Second you have to copy directly from the PDF so your format has to match. Your format is missing required information. Ill look through the code and tweak it but next time copy a section from the pdf and see if that fixes your error.

Lo Zeno
January 12th, 2023, 13:11
Sorry, the correct name is The Crooked. It is in the PDF, page 35, and yes I did copy and paste from the PDF - I don't type anything by hand because I saw your warning that it needs to be exactly like the PDF. What required information is missing?

bayne7400
January 12th, 2023, 13:15
I just recoded it it to accept basically anything as long as you use the "," to separate the attributes. Ill add your misses to the record while I'm in here. I'm not going to mess with the roller output unless you find a bug :)

bayne7400
January 12th, 2023, 13:18
This fix will make this irrelevant but we have different pdfs I guess. Basically when Evil Hat never got back to me about publishing I stopped working on this but it was basically done. I would have gone in and tweaked this and actually tested it before release. So your playtesting basically. :)

bayne7400
January 12th, 2023, 13:31
Added new build. Added the miss information to the roll... I dont know why but on CC its not copying the playbook info over for the roll information. I'm out of time but I'll look at it later.

Lo Zeno
January 12th, 2023, 13:56
This fix will make this irrelevant but we have different pdfs I guess. Basically when Evil Hat never got back to me about publishing I stopped working on this but it was basically done. I would have gone in and tweaked this and actually tested it before release. So your playtesting basically. :)

Ah, I see what you mean now!
I think you are using the "original" edition of the PDF, I am using the Monster of the Week Revised corerulebook (from Drivethrurpg), which has more playbooks
I can see that the ratings are written with two different formats in the Revised rulebook: if an attribute rating is 0, any new playbook just uses "Cool 0," for example, like in the Crooked:
while "old" playbooks that were present in the original PDF still use "Cool=0," as the format, like in the Spooky:

This looks like something I should point out to Evil Hat rather than you, now that I know it :D So much for "revised" rulebook!

Lo Zeno
January 12th, 2023, 15:56
I don't know if you'd count this as a bug:
in The Divine playbook (which is not in your version of the PDF), the player must choose three divine Moves; your ruleset allows only to choose 0, 1 or 2 options from each list of moves - can the dropdown in the playbook template be expanded to 3?
Similarly, in The Expert playbook the player needs to choose three options for its Haven (which would go in the Other tab), but just like the Moves tab the dropdowns in there allow the selection of only 0, 1, or 2 options

I have workarounds for both: I can repeat the Divine list of moves twice, once allowing 2 options, the second one allowing 1 option, and similarly for the Expert's Haven I can use 2 lists, but that won't prevent selecting the same option twice that way.

I hope that all my playtesting isn't making you think "I should just abandon this forever..."

bayne7400
January 12th, 2023, 17:44
Flipped the new build to live. A bug is when you get a big fat console error or a mechanic is wrong. The automated CC was just for fun and doesn't effect your game play.

Lo Zeno
January 12th, 2023, 18:11
Flipped the new build to live. A bug is when you get a big fat console error or a mechanic is wrong. The automated CC was just for fun and doesn't effect your game play.

Understood!

Lo Zeno
January 12th, 2023, 18:23
One more error, please don't shoot the messenger!

I completed the Divine playbook, when creating a character it throws this error right after selecting the ratings:

[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "Monster of the Week:..ipts/manager_char.lua"]:319: attempt to concatenate local 'nPicks' (a nil value)

Attached logs and module with the playbooks as before

bayne7400
January 12th, 2023, 19:32
You need to set your number of picks in your playbook

Lo Zeno
January 12th, 2023, 21:05
I was indeed missing the picks in Gear and Advancement, but even after setting them I still get the same error. The weird thing is, it doesn't happen every time: I created three characters with the Divine template, two got the error during character creation, one didn't

bayne7400
January 12th, 2023, 21:35
First there are more the Gear picks not set to a value. Check them all.

But the problem is the combo box not registering the default value of "0" into the DB. For a work around for each pick select a non zero number then select 0. after that that playbook will be good to go for export. Ill go back in script around this when I have some time.

Lo Zeno
January 12th, 2023, 21:43
Bear with me, please:
The only picks left to zero are those of sections that I do not need to use, such as the last section in Gear:
which is empty, and the second and third section in Other:
which are empty as welll; everything else has a 1 or a 2 selected, I double and triple checked (Moves has 2 for the first list and 1 for the second, Looks has 1, Ratings has 1, Improvements has 1 and Advanced Improvements has 1).
Do I need to set the picks also for those sections that are completely empty? Or am I suffering from target fixation and I am not seeing a section that I should see?

bayne7400
January 12th, 2023, 21:47
I see what you did here. I clearly said it was unforgiving and your forcing me to redo the code :) Try the newest build on the forge. If you don't set it up right its going to blow through your selections. if your advancement tab is not setup when you go to advance it wont automate.

Lo Zeno
January 12th, 2023, 21:50
If it's any consolation, I'm going to ask you how can I pay you a 6-pack of beer (or of your beverage of choice) as a token of appreciation :p

bayne7400
January 12th, 2023, 22:05
That combo box sucked. I try not to use them anymore. Let me know if you see any errors. I changed several lines and I did it really fast with minimal testing..

Lo Zeno
January 13th, 2023, 14:02
I think the last change might have broken the Gear selection in the Character Creator:
now when I create a character with any playbook except the Chosen, it will skip the Gear completely (not throwing an error, it just doesn't prompt the choice of gear); if I create a character with the Chosen playbook (or I check the checkbox to build custom weapons in any other playbook) it will prompt the selection of gear, but then throw an error:

[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "Monster of the Week:..ipts/manager_char.lua"]:585: attempt to index global 'sDB' (a nil value)
I'm poking at the code myself but I am still finding my way around where things are defined and what do they mean.

bayne7400
January 13th, 2023, 14:42
This is why I didn't want to poke at this.

bayne7400
January 13th, 2023, 16:23
that was a typo sDB.getValue lol

bayne7400
January 13th, 2023, 16:33
Ok dude both were typos. Feel free to test it out. This is quickly becoming the old Woman who Swallowed the Fly scenario

Lo Zeno
January 13th, 2023, 16:36
Will do.
Again, I do appreciate the patience. And in case I do not report back quickly, assume that no news is good news :)

bayne7400
January 13th, 2023, 16:42
I tested your playbooks you sent me and had no issues. so should be good to go

Sheryn
July 3rd, 2023, 11:18
Hi! Has been this ruleset discontinued? It seems to be missing from the forge and the link provided in the first post seems to be broken.
I did saw the video and got mind blown. So I would really love to use it into my games! You did a incredible job with it.

bayne7400
July 3rd, 2023, 13:33
Yeah I have not updated it for recent few changes so I delisted it. Sorry

Jiminimonka
July 4th, 2023, 19:50
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/840/view

Video here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l0K8uEDpoM

After you watched the video and you have questions post here along with screenshots of any errors.

I had intended to develop this with the main book but I could not get Evil Hat onboard. So I got it into a playable state and released it to you!

Features:
Drag and Drop playbook selection
Functioning Combat Tracker
Lots of other automations that make it a snap to run and play a game on FG.

That Forge link is broken for me.. says "This item is currently not available."

damned
July 4th, 2023, 22:37
That Forge link is broken for me.. says "This item is currently not available."

the answer is above (and also below)

Jiminimonka
July 5th, 2023, 06:35
the answer is above (and also below)

Haha yeah Bayne got me on Discord.. :)

Sheryn
July 5th, 2023, 11:18

Oh no worries, If you need help with code and have a Github repository, or any other version control tool, I could try to help as I have coding experience.

Brimstone1117
July 18th, 2023, 23:02
Where can I find this Mod? I would very much like to run this on FGU.

bayne7400
July 18th, 2023, 23:07
Please see first post.

Brimstone1117
July 18th, 2023, 23:10
Yes, I know it was removed from Forge. But do you have it else where? Or is it just unavailable anymore entirely.

bayne7400
July 18th, 2023, 23:11
I am no longer updating it.