PDA

View Full Version : RuleForge Editor - Now Open Source!

DrDeth
November 13th, 2007, 09:09
Due to crippling time constraints, and a sense of commitment to the community, I have decided to turn RuleForge into an Open Source project, where everyone can freely obtain the source code and contribute to the RuleForge project. It is my hope that some interested parties will join the project to contribute in time and effort to bring RuleForge to maturity. I am hoping that by doing this I can push RuleForge into the hands of the community, rather than let it fade into obscurity.

If you are interested in contributing to the project, check out the CodePlex project page.
https://www.codeplex.com/ruleforge

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this project and supported us in its development - more specifically, to the beta testers - honorable mentions go to Oberoten, Insanity, Mr_H, Shados and nezzir; to Foen for his time and code; and to everyone else that gave me positive feedback.

Hamish
November 13th, 2007, 12:17
Sorry to hear you won't be finishing this, I was definitely going to purchase it. I will have a look at the source, but I'm only a amateur when it comes to programming, so don't expect too much help from me.
To me it looks like you're using a mix of Visual Basic and C#, is that correct? I don't have Visual C# installed, so I get a load of errors when I try to open the solution file, but it does open up in the end.

<edit>
Upon further examination of the code I see the solution consist of multiple projects, one of which is in VB, and the rest in C#. What is the VB project for?
</edit>

mr_h
November 13th, 2007, 14:05
:(

(I've been busy lately and haven't been able to toy with this, but it had promise. Hopefully others can help out).

DrDeth
November 14th, 2007, 06:45
Hamish:
I'll still be working on the project when I can - I'm just hoping that more people will get involved so that it will get finished sooner.

The VB project is the CodeBox editor, written by Foen. It displays the lua scripts with the right formatting and syntax highlighting.

The rest of the project is C#.

Mr_H:
I feel :( too. I really wish I had more time for this.

Hamish
November 14th, 2007, 07:51
Hmmm, I guess you're using the commercial version of Visual Studio. The Express editions of Visual Studio are separate programs, and I cannot open the entire solution in either Visual Basic Express or Visual C# Express. :cry:

DrDeth
November 15th, 2007, 06:30
Hrm... Yes. I use VS Professional, and the solution is a mixed language solution. You should be able to open the projects up seperately though.

joshuha
November 16th, 2007, 05:00
I will take a look at this when I too have some more free time. I am well versed in C# and VB and hope I can contribute.

DrDeth
November 16th, 2007, 06:42
Thanks joshuha - your contributions will be most welcome.

DrDeth
December 20th, 2007, 21:23
I've just finished checking in new source code to the codeplex repository. RuleForge is now 100% C# and opens in Visual C# 2005 Express - allowing anyone to be able to contribute.

:D

Hamish
December 21st, 2007, 07:58
I'll be sure to have another look at it then!

DrDeth
December 21st, 2007, 08:09
Great! Hope you can help out Hamish.

:D

Hamish
December 22nd, 2007, 08:45
Wow..... this is kind of hard to get into. Pretty large solution, plus I'm new to C#. :confused:

DrDeth
December 22nd, 2007, 17:38
:)

Yes, theres a lot of code there. The solution seems large and complex but its not that bad. Things are split up so that its easier to create a smaller 'tool' which fits onto the rest.

At this stage, the major sections are the RuleSet Explorer - which is where most of the tools get called from; the window docking system - which no one should need to dive into; and the WindowClass Editor - which is the major function of RuleForge (and not finished).

There are several 'sub-sections' that people can take on right now which can be built almost seperately from the rest of the project. If other people join the project and work on the smaller 'stand-alone' tools, I can just slot them in...

... and I've just had a great idea of how to make the tool extensible so that new tools could be added without much fuss...

*sigh*

So much to do, so little time...

Hamish
December 22nd, 2007, 19:38
Well, I'm lost, so I think it would be best if you keep track of the overall application and let me (and hopefully some other people) know what tools need to be built. I'll have a go at it, but no guarentees. :)

DrDeth
December 22nd, 2007, 20:26
I've created a 'feature list' (https://www.codeplex.com/ruleforge/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Features&referringTitle=Home) so that anyone can see the things I have planned for RuleForge. Obviously, this is by no means a definitive list. I will accept anything that would be useful to RuleForge and the community.

Blue Haven
December 23rd, 2007, 09:54
I've created a 'feature list' (https://www.codeplex.com/ruleforge/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Features&referringTitle=Home) so that anyone can see the things I have planned for RuleForge. Obviously, this is by no means a definitive list. I will accept anything that would be useful to RuleForge and the community.

Thatīs wonderful :) now i just want to know how can i work with that lol because i donīt understand nothing...lol omg

Valarian
December 23rd, 2007, 11:07
It may be worth having a look at Atlassian's JIRA issue tracker. They offer open source projects a free license and it's a very good tool for doling out chunks of work and keeping track of what's going on. It also hooks in to source control, so you can tell which versions of the code fulfil which tasks or solve which problems. I've used it for projects at work.

DrDeth
December 24th, 2007, 07:53
Blue Haven: I'll be working on some 'getting started' type docs over the next week or so. Hopefully that'll help?

Valarian: Thanks for the tip. I've used phpProject before, but recently moved to Overlord.

But, CodePlex runs off TFS and has issue tracking built in. Issues can be linked to releases and assigned to specific people, etc. The only thing is that it requires people to actually join the project - thus far, I havent had any requests...

Blue Haven
December 24th, 2007, 12:39
Merry Christmas ;)

DrDeth
December 25th, 2007, 06:05
Merry Christmas :)

Traygin
December 27th, 2007, 18:32
Thanks for code, I will also take a look when I get time. I am a C# developer.

DrDeth
December 28th, 2007, 08:01
Thanks Traygin.

Velgor
December 29th, 2007, 03:24
This sounds like an incredible product that would be an exceptional tool for all FG users! I am looking forward to the development and release!

DrDeth
December 31st, 2007, 06:50
Me too. :)

Blue Haven
January 6th, 2008, 23:41
So DrDeth the walkthrought for the program is on the move or not...? :D
Can i make modules with this thing?? if so, can you show me how...? just a little lesson...

DrDeth
January 7th, 2008, 07:58
Hey Blue Haven,

Things with RuleForge are going slowly - I have very limited time to give to it, which is why I've made it open to the community in the first place. The more people that get involved, the quicker its going to get done. (Note: At this stage, Im still the only one involved, despite so many people expressing their 'excitement' about it...)

Currently, there is no functionality to edit modules. I am currently working on a graphical windowclass editor - which is the largest part of RuleForge.

However, anyone who is familiar with the XML behind rulesets would be able to use it as it currently is to make changes to their rulesets - kind of like a glorified XML editor (but tailored specifically to Fantasy Grounds rulesets.)

Blue Haven
January 7th, 2008, 13:10
oh ok then...thanks :( i will have to wait to make my modules...

Hamish
January 7th, 2008, 14:51
DrDeth, I would like to help, but have no idea where to start. Anything in particular you want me to look at? Like I said, I'm new to C#, so keep it simple for me please!

DrDeth
January 8th, 2008, 09:36
Blue Haven: Sorry about that. Hopefully you wont wait forever. :)

Hamish: I've been working on a Getting Started (https://www.codeplex.com/ruleforge/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Getting%20Started&referringTitle=Home) page, but havent gotten very far. The best thing you could do right now is get the code and try to figure out how it fits together - a daunting task, I know, but worth it in the end.

You could also attempt to start work on the Module Explorer.
From memory:
1. Create a new windows form.
2. Change its inheritance from Form to DockContent.
3. Set the default docking properties.
4. Add a menu item to show it.

Then, you just develop on that form as usual. These DockContent 'modules' are mostly self-contained, and interact via 'global' events. Have a look at some of the existing ones, like the Frame Editor as an example.

I envsion the Module Explorer to work similarly to my RuleForge Database Editor for FG 1.0 (https://www.wrath.co.za/node/32).

Good luck! :)

Blue Haven
January 8th, 2008, 14:01
Ok :) thanks DrDeth

Tailz Silver Paws
January 29th, 2008, 01:38
So how is this going?

DrDeth
January 29th, 2008, 06:51
Slowly :(

I definately need more willing and able bodies on this...

Hamish
January 29th, 2008, 08:47
Willing is not a problem, able is unfortunately....
I still don't see how the program works, it's so much bigger than anything I've played with before. :confused:

Oberoten
January 29th, 2008, 09:54
Has anything happened since last (IE indenting of textbox) ?

DrDeth
January 29th, 2008, 11:35
From my side, I'm still working on the windowclass editor. Generic components now position themselves and draw the backgrounds correctly.

Aside from that, check out the code and have a look for yourself? ;)

Oberoten
January 29th, 2008, 12:08
Alas, my understanding of C is ... somewhat limited. But I think I will anyway. :)

DrDeth
January 29th, 2008, 16:00
The more the merrier. :)

Tailz Silver Paws
January 30th, 2008, 00:27
I'd love to help, but all I can do for it is make pretty pictures.

DrDeth
January 30th, 2008, 06:57
Pretty pictures may be needed too. ;)
I'll keep that in mind, and if I think of anything I'll give you a shout.

Thanks Tailz.

Doombringer
February 1st, 2008, 15:07
Pretty pictures? I might be able to handle that.

unknown005
February 16th, 2008, 19:59
well, i know some C and the basics of XML... but i haven't looked at ruleset stuff yet. if i can figure it out, i'd be happy to do a little bit. first i need to know how to do it manually, though... XD

LordAelfric
May 14th, 2008, 18:42
DrDeth- I'd like to help out. I have a very strong background in development. As I wrote my own personal editor for FG1, I would really like to see something completed to help us better create rulesets.

Let me know if there is something specifically I can look at.

Aelfric

LordAelfric
May 14th, 2008, 21:38
As it is, I have downloaded the source and compiled it without any issues. I was looking around some of the code and think I can definitely help. If you'd like to contact me as to what you are currently working on, I can find something else to tackle.

Aelfric

Bidmaron
November 18th, 2008, 00:48
Any updates on this? I noticed this thread, and it sounds very interesting.