PDA

View Full Version : 5e Fantasy Grounds XML to JSON conversion to allow character printing

Amerisun
August 30th, 2022, 00:49
Hey everyone,
I wrote a utility because I wanted to quickly print my parties character sheets, so that while offline we could play with them then update in FG later. So this application that I wrote is an XSL parser that creates a JSON file that can be used by a website I found to allow for importing / exporting and printing of characters. It runs really fast and is easy to use with standardized controls and input dialogs.

Follow install and usage instructions here: https://amerisun.me/manual/ and you can turn the Fantasy Grounds Export XML files into JSON to import and work for printing from the link in the manual to Daryl Buckle's DND Character Sheets.

I have provided links to my GitHub there as well so if you're not comfortable with installing software I have written, you can download and compile yourself with Visual Studio. Could also verify and check my code. This should work on most new Windows 10 machines and Windows 11 with Dot Net 6.0 installed. I haven't done any cross platform work with Dot Net yet but I will be researching having the ability to run this on other platforms also because Dot Net 6.0 should run on Mac and Linux. (no promises) :-)

If you do install from the location I have above, it will auto update when I fix / add enhancements to it. You can also keep an eye on the github if that's your thing.

Also it does not need admin rights to install, will run under your profile so does not require elevated permissions unless you do not have Dot Net 6, then the first time it will download and install it from Microsoft which requires elevated permissions.

Let me know if you have issues / troubles with it, hope this helps someone out there. Any suggestions are welcome!

Technically this program could do any conversion of your character if you have an XSL 1.0 transformation document.