PDA

View Full Version : Editing NPCs during combat

RasJay
August 29th, 2022, 16:36
Unity using 5e rule set.

What is the most efficient way to edit an NPC during a combat encounter? I DM two separate groups and each are using Heat Metal and or NPC's roll a one and I have them lose their weapon or it breaks. The NPC's often need to drop their weapons or take off their armor to avoid damage from the spell. Perhaps the NPC picks up an improvised weapon, or the NPC takes a weapon from a player to use, etc..I know how to edit an NPC sheet however in the middle of combat they would need to be re-added to the combat tracker and would lose any effects. Not to mention trying to edit an NPC during combat slows things down.

superteddy57
August 29th, 2022, 16:47
Effects would be my suggestion. You can lower AC and just not use attacks with the weapons in question. You can see a breakdown here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996642031/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation

These can be applied and removed very quickly and once it is removed the automation would use the base NPC record instead.

Zacchaeus
August 29th, 2022, 17:22
You can adjust armour class directly in the CT (click on the 'offence' icon and just type a new number into the AC box). I doubt that NPCs could take off their armour during combat (well they could but according to the PHB doffing even light armour takes a minute, by which time they'd be dead) unless it was a shield in which case they can just drop it.

As for weapons, if they drop their weapon then they'd just lose that attack. In which case you just don't use that attack line for the NPC. If they don't have any other attack then I'd expect them to run away. If they can find another weapon just use the same attack line as their normal weapon - it will probably make little difference to the outcome.

LordEntrails
August 29th, 2022, 17:54
Once added to the CT, an NPC becomes a duplicate/copy of the NPC in the NPC list.

When this happens for me, I just adjust in the CT or add an effect. But you can open the NPC instance by clicking on the object icon in the CT. BUT, actions won't reparse or update so its of limited use.

RasJay
August 29th, 2022, 18:39
Explaining the duplicate NPC in the combat tracker makes sense to me now. I could have some text already written up and quickly add an unarmed strike, paste it, and adjust it. @Zacchaeus not all of my NPC's will run when they lose their weapon :). Or perhaps they will pull out a dagger. These are all great suggestions and most I did not think of. I'll use a combination of these to keep the encounters challenging.

Thanks.