PDA

View Full Version : Before I buy: How flexible is this system?

Hatchetman240
November 8th, 2007, 15:45
Lets say I have something like a custom spell domain on a cleric or custom made spells. Would I be able to load my own spells or domain into the character sheet? What about bonuses like Divine Power and durations like the ones given in persistant spell? What about durations that last longer?

Basically, I guess I am asking if the character sheet is just something blank you can fill in or if it is "interactive" and locks you into only the feats and classes provided by the program.

Sigurd
November 8th, 2007, 16:05
There is very little automation in the program so anything you want is easily done - no more difficult than the regular stuff.

The program doesn't lock you in.
It automates dice rolls and shares them for fairness.
It provides a place you can write down what's going on with your story.
It helps you share pictures, maps and written description in real time across the internet.
It allows you to move icons on top of those maps & pictures so that they are shared with all the players.
It obscures a map\picture so you can reveal it in stages.

If you have a cleric with bunny ears or a fighter that chants poetry the program supports each equally.

You still need the game publishers books (WOTC or ?) and everyone has to agree to play the same game. FG doesnt really proscribe anything. Its absolutely not twitch gaming. Every decision is still made by the game master.

I hope that answers your question.

Sigurd.

Valarian
November 8th, 2007, 16:11
The character sheet is essentially just like a character sheet on paper. There are some basic classes, feats, spells, etc. for reference but if you have other books you can allow their use.

Download the demo and give it a go with a couple of your players. The demo is the older version (version 1), but the basic functionality is the same.

Griogre
November 8th, 2007, 18:54
As others have pointed out the character sheet has little automation which means you can write in any feats or spells you want. There are some automations for stat mods. In FG2 you can drag and drop spells off the included set of d20 spells, but you can also create a blank line and type in any spell you want.

Take a look at the Demo. In particular look at a character sheet, how dice are shared, how the map and map tokens work, what pointers are, and how hot keys work. You can't save things in the demo and it is based on FG1 but you will get a good sense of what FG is like. FG2 is more stable and the character sheet has better spell book and weapon tabs and the combat tracker is very improved. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Nilliom
November 9th, 2007, 00:18
If you are not looking for automation and if you know how to script this is one of the most flexible system I have seen.

I was able to create many features that where missing, (calendar+time), Dm Notes, A new Campaign stucture, a new Story structure, A Character sheet that can handle multiple type of characters for my game all with there different fields.

It was a long process, it is not finished and not perfect yet, but I like the look and feel and it allow me to add stuff when needed.

DNH
November 9th, 2007, 09:03
I was able to create many features that where missing, (calendar+time) ...

I would be interested in seeing what you have there, re calendar and time. All I have seen on these pages so far are suggestions to scan in a calendar image and place a counter on it, but I would like something more than that.

Mereinid
November 13th, 2007, 00:29
Good morning, I am considering purchasing the FGII and as I think my question is pretty much answered already however I wanted to expand on the initial question of this thread some.

As far individualization goes. While my gaming troupe sticks to the hardcore basics of the D&D 3.5. We do however spice things up with extra feats sometimes and or special abilities given by say a family heirloom left to one of my players or perhaps a taint of the blood giving the otherwise basic character of human with the ability, lets just say for arguments sake, able to use half of the spell like abilities afforded demons. Or some other special powers. Is the program hardcoded against such things or can I add and use any *specials* I want to give to my players.

Also are all dice rolls able to be seen by the players. For instance my players just go finishing making character one evening and for us this about a 3-4 hour event as we digress from actual character making *alot* then we go back to then we will go get some food or whatever. Then once we start playing my bad guys get a lucky roll, unlucky for my players, and kills him in the first 20mins of play. Will the roll show up automatically or is the previous three hour character making session all for moot and the player has to make a new character? I guess what I am asking if I can just *really* hurt my player rather than just *Baldur's Gating* him/her into chunks flying across the virtual playing table?

Just a few *long* questions here. I guess just let me know. I appreciate your time here guys/gals. Will check back here soon. Who knows maybe one of you will be in my next game. *wink*

Sorontar
November 13th, 2007, 00:45
Good morning, I am considering purchasing the FGII and as I think my question is pretty much answered already however I wanted to expand on the initial question of this thread some.

As far individualization goes. While my gaming troupe sticks to the hardcore basics of the D&D 3.5. We do however spice things up with extra feats sometimes and or special abilities given by say a family heirloom left to one of my players or perhaps a taint of the blood giving the otherwise basic character of human with the ability, lets just say for arguments sake, able to use half of the spell like abilities afforded demons. Or some other special powers. Is the program hardcoded against such things or can I add and use any *specials* I want to give to my players.

Also are all dice rolls able to be seen by the players. For instance my players just go finishing making character one evening and for us this about a 3-4 hour event as we digress from actual character making *alot* then we go back to then we will go get some food or whatever. Then once we start playing my bad guys get a lucky roll, unlucky for my players, and kills him in the first 20mins of play. Will the roll show up automatically or is the previous three hour character making session all for moot and the player has to make a new character? I guess what I am asking if I can just *really* hurt my player rather than just *Baldur's Gating* him/her into chunks flying across the virtual playing table?

Just a few *long* questions here. I guess just let me know. I appreciate your time here guys/gals. Will check back here soon. Who knows maybe one of you will be in my next game. *wink*

1)When it comes to feats and abilities you will be able to just type them into a section and as long as you know the rules you're good to go.

2)Quote from the Library

Roll the dice as normal, keeping the control key depressed when the mouse button is released.

The die roll result will appear in a public roll result bubble.

- OR -

Enter the command "/die reveal".

Subsequent GM die roll results will be displayed to the players.

To hide the rolls, enter the command "/die hide

Hope that helps.

Mereinid
November 13th, 2007, 02:00
NICE! Ok I think I am buying now. *grin* thank you Sorontar.