PDA

View Full Version : Saving masks and grids?

IamGrays
November 7th, 2007, 13:40
I am soooo new to FG2 but think it has just what my groups needs. However... everytime I add a grid or mask to my map all looks fine and I am happy. I save the campaign (/save) and exit but when I restart FG2 the grid and mask have gone. I have checked various threads and was under the impression that these should save.

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Oberoten
November 7th, 2007, 15:59
Are you drawing on a blank image? Or do you have a picture as a base?

Masking doesn't work with the hand-drawn stuff.

IamGrays
November 7th, 2007, 16:15
I am masking an image. The masking (and grid) works it just isn't saved once I leave FG2.

DNH
November 7th, 2007, 16:29
can i hijack the thread for a second and ask a related question? do you actually need to /save before closing? or does FG2 do that for you when you exit? i have never had the courage to find out!

IamGrays
November 7th, 2007, 16:36
I don't mind as long as people don't forget my question in a rush to answer yours.... :)

Griogre
November 7th, 2007, 17:01
I am soooo new to FG2 but think it has just what my groups needs. However... everytime I add a grid or mask to my map all looks fine and I am happy. I save the campaign (/save) and exit but when I restart FG2 the grid and mask have gone. I have checked various threads and was under the impression that these should save.

What am I doing wrong? :confused:
It sounds like you are working on a map from a module? Is that right? There is a bug in FG2 right that any associate mask or drawn image is misnumbered in a way so it is not associated properly with the right map. Thus once you restart FG2 the mask, grid, and any pen drawings will have vanished.

There is a work around. This only happens to maps imported from a module. If the map is in the main campaign it works fine. I would suggest you copy the module maps into the image folder of the main campaign. It defeats the purposes of a module for the maps, but fortunately most module only tend to have a few maps.

Note: this map bug is a resource leak, because the images for the module map are actually created - so your drawing folder becomes full of "lost" images.

Griogre
November 7th, 2007, 17:09
can i hijack the thread for a second and ask a related question? do you actually need to /save before closing? or does FG2 do that for you when you exit? i have never had the courage to find out!
You don't need to /save before closing FG2. It saves automatically before it closes - as long as there is no problem on exit. Thus if you have a crash bug on exit it will not save.

The reason for you using the /save command is the autosave is currently broken. The autosave trys to save to a non-existant folder in your program files directory - and fails silently (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7250). The /save command saves to the correct data app folder and so works.

IamGrays
November 7th, 2007, 17:51
The maps(images) are in the campaign folder under images. They are not modules because I haven't totally got to grips with that yet as you saw in my other thread.

To make sure I created a new campagin and copied the map into that and I have not fiddled with modules in this campaign at all. Still doesn't work.... :confused:

I also noticed that FG2 isn't saving changes I've made to the application window size either (i.e. I make the whole bigger or smaller). Just wondered if this is normal or perhaps related?

IamGrays
November 8th, 2007, 16:57
Ok. I have made some progress. :)

Grids and masks do save if I use a smaller map. The original maps were around 433k and the maps and grids didn't save. I created a small (136k) and everything worked fine.

Any one know what's a good size for maps, I read 300k somewhere?

Also should I post this in the 'House of Healing'?

IamGrays
November 8th, 2007, 17:27
Ok please ignore that previous post it's wrong.

The new map that worked was smaller but it also had a smaller filename 'map.jpg'. I shrunk one of my original maps to 123k and the mask and grid still wouldn't work. So tried renaming it and "hey presto" it worked fine. So taking the original map (433k) I renamed that it that worked too.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the name, its long and has special characters, see below, but renaming it worked.

Original filename was 'A Dark & Stormy Knight - Part 1.jpg' I renamed it to 'A Dark Stormy Knight.jpg' and all worked. I will experiment further when I have some time.

Griogre
November 8th, 2007, 18:41
You need to use avoid xml special characters like &, ", >. If you just stick to alpha numerics you will be fine.

IamGrays
November 9th, 2007, 13:23
I tested it further last night and it was as you expected the '&' character that caused the problem.