PDA

View Full Version : Change View on NPC Spell Tab

KevenSimmons
August 11th, 2022, 02:14
It seems like I should know how to do something as simple as this, but I can't seem to figure out how to change the spell list view from "Summary" to "Actions" on an NPC sheet.

damned
August 11th, 2022, 05:46
Im not sure if this is the full answer or not but you dont take actions from NPC sheets - you do them from the Combat Tracker.

bmos
August 11th, 2022, 13:13
Wow, not sure how you even got into Summary view!
Perhaps due to an extension?
As far as I'm aware, NPCs are always in Action view.

If you're comfortable editing your db.xml file (back it up first!) you can find the NPC listed in it and add this line:
<spelldisplaymode type="string">action</spelldisplaymode>

Morenu
August 11th, 2022, 13:22
Not a DM but I believe he wants the NPC version of the Display button on the Character Sheet.

bmos
August 11th, 2022, 13:27
Not a DM but I believe he wants the NPC version of the Display button on the Character Sheet.

53931That was also my understanding.
Keven's image shows one NPC in Summary view which, as I noted, isn't something you'd normally see in FG's PF/3.5E ruleset.

EDIT: unless the sheet is locked, as Trenloe mentions

Morenu
August 11th, 2022, 13:31
That was also my understanding.
Keven's image shows one NPC in Summary view which, as I noted, isn't something you'd normally see in FG's PF/3.5E ruleset.

:) you posted as I was screen shotting and typing. :)

KevenSimmons
August 11th, 2022, 15:09
Thanks for the guidance bmos - i'll try the xml edit. I have no idea how it happened either. I dragged a copy of the NPC from a Paizo "Codex" module into my campaign, and started editing to add some custom effect. When I'm back to my computer I'll try replicating he process - maybe the source has the view setting coded that way. The source didn't have any spell classes defined - i had to create one.

darrenan
August 11th, 2022, 15:46
Im not sure if this is the full answer or not but you dont take actions from NPC sheets - you do them from the Combat Tracker.

You can totally perform actions from an NPC sheet, AND the Combat Tracker. If you have an NPC with spells (in PF1 anyway), doing it from the NPC sheet is the only way, they don't show up in the CT.

darrenan
August 11th, 2022, 15:49
Thanks for the guidance bmos - i'll try the xml edit. I have no idea how it happened either. I dragged a copy of the NPC from a Paizo "Codex" module into my campaign, and started editing to add some custom effect. When I'm back to my computer I'll try replicating he process - maybe the source has the view setting coded that way. The source didn't have any spell classes defined - i had to create one.

Which module was it? You say Codex which makes me wonder if it's the NPC codex modules I released a few years ago.

Trenloe
August 11th, 2022, 15:50
It seems like I should know how to do something as simple as this, but I can't seem to figure out how to change the spell list view from "Summary" to "Actions" on an NPC sheet.
The view on the left is the usual behavior when editing an NPC, you normally see the view on the right when the NPC record is locked - but, for some reason, the hill giant is showing that view when unlocked.

KevenSimmons
August 11th, 2022, 18:02
Which module was it? You say Codex which makes me wonder if it's the NPC codex modules I released a few years ago.

It was the Ogre Glutton npc copied from the "Monster Codex" (Paizo licensed module)

Moon Wizard
August 11th, 2022, 22:36
I've reported the issue to the developer who created the PF1 codex.

Regards,
JPG

shadowcat34
August 12th, 2022, 02:18
I've reported the issue to the developer who created the PF1 codex.

Regards,
JPG

I checked NPC codex tonight and the spells have been parsed in the same way as any product for pathfinder 1 using Par5e. There is nothing to "fix"

Regards,

Shadowcat

KevenSimmons
August 12th, 2022, 02:20
A little digging and I determined that the unedited Ogre Glutton npc does not have the spelldisplaymode tag defined in the base xml. I checked a couple other entries and found that the Ogre Stalker is also missing that xml tag and it also exhibits the same quirk. The plain Ogre npc does have the spelldisplaymode tag in the base xml, and it works as expected.

Moon Wizard
August 12th, 2022, 02:36
I just loaded up the module; and tried it out myself.

It's not something straightforward that I can address in the ruleset code currently, as it's a disconnect between an older tool used to create the creatures and creatures created natively in the interface. And the data in core ruleset modules is locked by design. This will only occur for creatures copied from modules, and customized by adding spells when they didn't have any before.

For now, locking the record will return the action buttons.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
August 12th, 2022, 03:03
The correct behavior will also appear after a session restart in copies of the base npc - probably related to the spelldisplaymode hidden string field in the npc windowclass.

KevenSimmons
August 12th, 2022, 03:36
The correct behavior will also appear after a session restart in copies of the base npc - probably related to the spelldisplaymode hidden string field in the npc windowclass.

I noticed that as well - when I went back to try to recreate the issue, the previous npc records had mysteriously self-corrected, but new ones created exhibited the behavior. Given the unusual set of circumstances required to manifest the quirk, it's not worth spending time to fix IMO.