PDA

View Full Version : 2 games up at a time with 2 ultimate licences?

Atracious
August 2nd, 2022, 15:58
Hi there! I have 5 groups a week currently, soon to be 7, and I was wondering if there was a way to have 2 servers up at once, maybe if I had 2 ultimate licences and 2 separate installs of Unity, but shared the campaign data folders. Would that work for allowing me to run a game in one and have another up for people to work on their characters? or would it still not work because it uses the same connection? Could I simply use different ports between the 2 sessions to keep them separate?

Any help would be appreciated!

Zacchaeus
August 2nd, 2022, 17:29
I believe that licenses are not tied to your account so it is possible to have more than one license. Whether you can run both from the same location I don't know for sure.

Moon Wizard
August 2nd, 2022, 18:07
Only one license per machine is supported at this time; as it ties into the machine registry. Also, the Cloud network facilitation service will only work with one hosted session per machine.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
August 2nd, 2022, 18:50
You would need multiple machines. And as Moon says, using the Cloud game lobby you would need seperate GM user accounts (which would mean more than one license).
I don't know if it would be within the license agreement to run the same license on multiple machines at the same time under the same account (i.e. using LAN connections).

Atracious
August 2nd, 2022, 22:42
So, i could theoretically do it, if i had a second computer, a second account, and a second ultimate licence? then just use like a networked location to have the files shared?

damned
August 2nd, 2022, 23:23
Yes. That ought to work.
You might be able to load an instance of FGU on your computer using Cloud and then load a second instance using LAN and setup Port Forwarding to the other?
Moon Wizard can you still specify a port on the application command line?

Trenloe
August 2nd, 2022, 23:34
...can you still specify a port on the application command line?
You do it in the Load Campaign window - 1802 is populated as default.

LordEntrails
August 2nd, 2022, 23:44
Oh, but there is a gotcha... content is connected to the username. So two accounts would not only mean two licenses, but two sets of content :(

damned
August 3rd, 2022, 01:16
You do it in the Load Campaign window - 1802 is populated as default.

Doh! Ofc it is!

Oh, but there is a gotcha... content is connected to the username. So two accounts would not only mean two licenses, but two sets of content :(

Yes you are right.

I would set one campaign up on port 1802 and another on 1803 and load them as LAN games and setup port forwarding.

Or... I would not really bother. The amount of time that players actually spend managing characters between games is minimal in my experience.

Atracious
August 3rd, 2022, 02:06
Doh! Ofc it is!

Yes you are right.

I would set one campaign up on port 1802 and another on 1803 and load them as LAN games and setup port forwarding.

Or... I would not really bother. The amount of time that players actually spend managing characters between games is minimal in my experience.

With 5 groups I have the server up almost 24/7. Once I have 7, I will likely NEED 2 up at a time...

Lo Zeno
August 3rd, 2022, 10:27
So, i could theoretically do it, if i had a second computer, a second account, and a second ultimate licence? then just use like a networked location to have the files shared?

If you are tech savvy enough, you can do it with a virtual machine hosted in your computer (Hyper-V, VMWare, Dropbox). You'll still need a second account and second licence, though, but at least you won't need another machine.

swbuza
August 5th, 2022, 22:49
Ignore

Neovirtus
August 8th, 2022, 16:15

I would guess that Smiteworks wouldn't want to punish someone buying two ultimate accounts by forcing them to buy content again... couldn't you (potentially) buy two ultimate licenses under one account which would then both get all DLC on update? Either way, it seems like this is an edge case scenario that I would talk to support about as they may make an exception even if the standard implementation wouldn't allow it.

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2022, 16:34
I would guess that Smiteworks wouldn't want to punish someone buying two ultimate accounts by forcing them to buy content again... couldn't you (potentially) buy two ultimate licenses under one account which would then both get all DLC on update? Either way, it seems like this is an edge case scenario that I would talk to support about as they may make an exception even if the standard implementation wouldn't allow it.
Yes, you can have two licenses connected to one forum account. But you can not host 2 cloud games at the same time with the same user account. It's a limitation with the brokering architecture. You would have to host at least one of the games as a LAN game.

damned
August 8th, 2022, 22:24
Run 2 LAN games on different ports.