PDA

View Full Version : Chronicles of Darkness Ruleset

damned
August 1st, 2022, 22:54
Here is the first public release.
This is a low automation ruleset.
Health has limited Automation - there is no automatic application of damage.
It should calculate most stats once you spend points.

To make rolls you double click the Stat and the Skill and then the Pool.
Make a mistake - use the reset Icon on the pool.
Health uses an Icon Cycler which always has a glitch where the first click doesnt do anything. Ctrl+Click to go backwards. Adjust health yourself (or Keeper).
Integrity rolls work
Init rolls work - use Init Mod - it will take into account the Init Mod of any equipped weapons.
Add Weapons to the Inventory and they will appear in Attacks also.
Double click Will reports to chat

I think thats about it.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/732/view

Ive never played the game. Im open to constructive feedback. Hope you enjoy.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/images/6ba255e425327641544570f85f3c212c.jpeg

damned
August 1st, 2022, 22:54
reserved

vegaserik
August 2nd, 2022, 21:42
I would say maybe a Merits tab on the side where you can put all the merits in and drag them to the sheet. Everything looks really good though. I love the theme you made.

damned
August 2nd, 2022, 23:27
I could add Merits campaign tool. Would it just be Name and Description?

damned
August 3rd, 2022, 00:14
Merit campaign tool added. It really just allows drag and drop and creating a library of Merits.

vegaserik
August 3rd, 2022, 00:40
Merit campaign tool added. It really just allows drag and drop and creating a library of Merits.

sweet! Thank you!

bayne7400
August 3rd, 2022, 01:40
Man looks really good !

damned
August 4th, 2022, 23:54
Uploaded a new build which reworks some of the Character Sheet.

viresanimi
August 5th, 2022, 19:51
First impression is really really good. The dice pool integrated into the charactersheet is inspired... really makes you wonder why the official vampire ruleset didn't do that?

I wish you would put a dice roller on to NPC sheets. Just move the attributes a bit together and there should be amble space for it there. I mean.. Ideally I wouldn't have the old standard "NPC's are a stat block thing" and a real charactersheet for them, but hey. Give me a dice pool and space for skills, and I will be a very happy panda. I just don't want to be forced to used the combat tracker for npc rolling. Please.

What this ruleset really needs in order for it to take off and be great is integration of all the different kind of monsters you can play / face in Chronicles of Darkness: vampires, werewolves, demons, geists, hunters, prometheans, mages.. .and so on. And the ability to add all the powers they use into a module.

The reason why I mention all these things together, is because Chronicles of Darkness is a shared universe and having the ability to use whatever fits your take on that world would be absolutely fantastic!

I feel that Chronicles of Darkness is an underappreciated game system, and I am very very happy it gets some love. Thanks!

damned
August 6th, 2022, 06:44
Ive added support for making rolls from the NPC sheet - Im not a fan - I think the CT is much easier than juggling 6 extra sheets but the option is now there. From my limited exposure to the system the NPC Stat blocks have Stat scores built into the Skill rolls so be aware of that when rolling.

Available in the forge now.

vegaserik
August 6th, 2022, 08:57
For the other lines, what if there was a box just like you made for Merits on the sheet and on the side but maybe title it "Powers" since each line has its own name for it, but that would enable all the disciplines, gifts, contracts etc ... to be put in and opened on the sheet. I'd make the rank box clickable to be added to the dice pool like conditions are since alot of them add to the pool. I think everything else from other lines can be tracked manually.

damned
August 7th, 2022, 01:06
New build uploaded now.

damned
August 7th, 2022, 01:07
Merits edited to Merits/Powers
You can double click the Merit value to modify the Dice Pool if appropriate.
Added some additional Scrollbars
Tweaked some other scrollbar settings.
Updated frames.

vegaserik
August 7th, 2022, 05:26
Thank you! This theme is absolutely gorgeous! I love the character sheet, how it has the faded Chronicles page art on the left edge. The gothic looks to the chat box. I'm blown away by it.

moongleam
September 9th, 2022, 15:36
Dear Damned.
Sorry in advance for this to long post.

You cannot imagine how happy I was when I stumbled upon this post. Unfortunately, my search query was a little off and I realized this is all about Chronicle of Darkness, so my happiness quickly sunk. Why? I will address that later but first let me share this before.
When I bought Fantasy Grounds Unity (via Kickstarter) I was super excited and when it finally happened (installation) my enthusiasm grew even more.
I did few D&D 5e campaigns and (after some time, when they repaired some bugs) this software simple amazed me how good it is!
But I am game master, referee, storyteller of dungeon master who is not so much happy with a Dungeons and Dragons since a time of AD&D. I never was. Don’t get me wrong. From the time of TSR to Wizards of the Coast D&D got better, bigger, more beautiful and I have never run away form it since my players like it – which regularly emptied my pockets.
But in between my roleplaying, especially gamemastering, journey I have tried and enjoyed many RPG systems and derivatives. Namely – GURPS, PARANIOA, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk 2020 and RED, Conan, Fantasy Flights Star Wars, Genesis and even some obscure ones I will not mention here.

Nevertheless, my true love was always reserved for the gems produced by a company (at that time) called White Wolf. Storytelling and playing Vampire, Werewolf, Mage and all other WOD settings was something special to me and my group/s.
You can imagine my sadness when company shut down but then again, my happiness sparked again when Onyx path did anniversary edition. I had religiously followed and bought all the company products.
But let’s get back to FGU. At one point my old and new players wanted a taste of World of Darkness. So, I went to FG forum and searched for options to integrate rulesets that would accommodate this system. Disappointment followed. Broken rulesets, problem with loading and many more things frustrated me more than anything! At that point my job did not provide me with enough time to adapt, learn and produce some semblance of ruleset that would be useful for playing old WOD or anniversary edition.
During my FGU trip I stumbled upon your MoreCore and your products and until this day I am amazed by it. You are a person that should be hired and financed by FG (if you are not already). And your help and advice on forum! Priceless.

And here we get back to the beginning of my rant.

Me seeing this thread put me on edge. Is this finally thing I was looking for past years!? Is this possible!? Your creation was fantastic news for me but also a sad one since this was for Chronicles of Darkness. Not a bad spin-off of old WOD but still just something my groups and I did not like. Again, nothing bad or wrong with a system but not something we were completely happy with.

And here comes my plead, request or just a hopeful question for you.
Is there a possibility that you could adapt this magnificent creation for Vampire, Werewolf and Mage 20 anniversary edition? I talked with two of my groups (one currently playing Vampire 20 and want to play Mage soon and other playing Mage 20 for a 5 sessions) and they are happy to use FGU for playing – we are using some other online tools that are extremely bad solutions. All of us agreed that we are willing to contribute in any way possible if you would be interested to embark on such a project – rules assistance, advice, books, or even financial help.

I am sure there are many people who would be more than happy to see 20 anniversary edition rulesets and even contribute in some way.
Thank you for reading this and if in you will not be able to make our whishes come true you are still hero of many WOD and Chronicles of Darkness players and storytellers just for making this ruleset.

damned
September 9th, 2022, 16:02
Hi moongleam,

I dont play this game (or its variations) so my understanding and knowledge of the game is limited.
You can help by providing specific feedback.

I will not by aiming to add any high level of automation but I will add features time permitting.
I will consider also making other variations but I dont have time to learn the games in any great detail as well as code them so my preference would be to make any necessary improvements to this one and then adapt to other systems one at a time.

moongleam
September 14th, 2022, 11:00
Hi moongleam,

I dont play this game (or its variations) so my understanding and knowledge of the game is limited.
You can help by providing specific feedback.

I will not by aiming to add any high level of automation but I will add features time permitting.
I will consider also making other variations but I dont have time to learn the games in any great detail as well as code them so my preference would be to make any necessary improvements to this one and then adapt to other systems one at a time.

Thanks, Damned.

Sorry for late reply (work is killing me during this time of year).

You are a hero for my small old WOD community. Some of the guys and girls are excited to be able to use FGU for our games.
Automation is not an issue. All things you did with Chronicle of Darkness are more than enough for us and (I will dare to presume) other players of WOD.

I will provide you with all and any information that you need but I think it would be best if we take this to personal messaging not to spam and annoy other good people of the FG.

During this weekend I am sending you some core info and I will use this Chronicle of Darkness ruleset as a guide and reference since it is basically upgrade/spin-off of old WOD.

damned
September 14th, 2022, 11:47
In many ways it is best to do it in a public space as it is not uncommon for there to be different interpretations of some rules etc and that gives other people an opportunity to chime in. If you want to do it privately find me on the FG Discord Server and PM me there

moongleam
September 14th, 2022, 14:00
In many ways it is best to do it in a public space as it is not uncommon for there to be different interpretations of some rules etc and that gives other people an opportunity to chime in. If you want to do it privately find me on the FG Discord Server and PM me there

Ok. Yes, I see your point and I agree. It would be great to do this in open so others can contribute.
I will send you some materials on discord during weekend and afterwards you (or me) can make a post and go publicly with ideas. I will also start to get more into your amazing MoreCore so maybe I will be able to assist more than just presenting rules.

peterb
October 11th, 2023, 15:12
The font color of the button labels in the menu on the right hand side of the screen is very dark, almost black. This makes it very difficult to read the labels. My guess is that the problem is related to the change of default theme of CoreRPG. It would be nice if the color could be changed to white or maybe yellow so that the labels might become more readable.

addax
March 11th, 2024, 02:33
Really liking the ruleset that you've created! Only think I would add is if you created another subsection for a Power Stat and Fuel, you could more easily use this for the varied subsets of CoD, ie Mage or Vampire.

Thank you for your considerable hard work!

damned
March 11th, 2024, 09:58
Could you maybe mock up a graphic to show me precisely what you mean?

addax
April 20th, 2024, 16:45
Ok, I think this is a decent enough mock up of what I was thinking.

Summary of proposed changes: addition of a rollable Power Stat, Fuel related to that power stat, and a second box under armor to separate Ballistic/Conventional armor.

Some Quality of Life/Customizability changes that could be made would be to have "Integrity", "Power Stat", and "Fuel" headings be fillable forms much as the various Skills you have in your sheet are already. This should allow the character sheet to be readily customizable for all CoD game settings.