PDA

View Full Version : LOS guidance needed - Is this a bug, feature, or just the way it is?

jharp
July 29th, 2022, 20:54
@Moon,

I'm still seeing some odd behaviour with LoS so I'm wondering if there are expected rules we should be following? Should we do something prior to publishing a map that ensure the LoS is correct?

I ask because it seems easy to end up with an invalid LoS that shows light thru to areas that should not be lit.

Jason

ddavison
July 29th, 2022, 21:24
There isn't any way that we can answer such a vague question. If you want to post some specific examples and zoom in, we would be happy to address each on a case-by-case basis.

jharp
July 29th, 2022, 21:51
Sorry I didn't mean to be vague. I just wanted to know if FGU expects certain rules to be followed in the Image tool (ie please don't try to break it cause it will; avoid crossing LOS lines ect). If the answer is that anything that you can do in the Image tool is fine with FGU then I'll just report all that I find. The LOS tools still seem kinda alpha some days.

Jason

Zacchaeus
July 29th, 2022, 21:58
I haven't seen any issues with the LoS tools for two years or more; so it may depend on what you are doing or trying to do. Examples would be good.

TVDinner
July 29th, 2022, 22:36
LoS that shows light thru to areas that should not be lit.

See this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?71483-LOS-Through-Wall) for a LoS see-thru failure when using perfectly horizontal or vertical LoS lines. I see that sometimes when I make the LoS lines using only with the keyboard. It's pretty easy to test and identify that case. Per the thread, the cause is known and isn't something that will be fixed immediately.

LordEntrails
July 29th, 2022, 22:48
My own personal rules:
Windows, doors, terrain, and pits should be closed polygons.
Use snap to entity so that wall segments dont have small gaps between them.
All connected occluders should be on the same layer. Use as few LOS layers as you can.

jharp
July 30th, 2022, 07:25
My own personal rules:
Windows, doors, terrain, and pits should be closed polygons.
Use snap to entity so that wall segments dont have small gaps between them.
All connected occluders should be on the same layer. Use as few LOS layers as you can.

Thanks. I'll follow these.

Jason