PDA

View Full Version : Can't Use Custom Portraits

Death Goblin
July 29th, 2022, 09:43
Summary:
I'm trying to use custom portraits.
I followed the "Fantasy Grounds Unity Tutorial --- Adding A Portrait To Your Character Sheet" video but no portraits appeared in FG Unity for me to select. I watched a different video.
I followed the "How do I get images into my campaign in Unity" video. I know it's not the exact thing I am trying to do but I thought it would be close enough. Fortunately I am able to get images to appear just fine in FG Unity but custom portrait images remain elusive.

The files do not show up when I put them in the portraits folder. I think it might be because I installed fantasy grounds in the D drive? I want to get as much information as I can before I go down the route of uninstalling everything and then reinstalling it to the C drive. I heard it is difficult to do.

I see in the video concerning custom images that one of the possible file paths that images could be found in is C:\Users\'User Name'\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds. The closest file address I was able to find to that is: C:\Users\chase\AppData\LocalLow\SmiteWorks. There is no portraits folder in there. Making a portraits folder in there and putting an image inside does not fix the issue. I tried looking around the "FantasyGrounds_Data" folder but no folder there called portrait inside. Recreating one and putting an image inside does nothing.

Ruleset(s):
AD&D 2E (issue reproduced on 5e and pathfinder 2e)

Extensions/Themes:
Wood, Default

Modules Loaded:
AD&D 2E Dungeon Master Guide
AD&D 2E Monstrous Manual
AD&D 2E Players Handbook
AD&D 2E Tome of Magic
Calendars
Default Fumble and Critical Hit Tables
FG Battle Maps

Operating System / Language Setting:
Windows 10 / English (restarted the computer and still able to reproduce issue)

Steps to Reproduce:
I click on Characters and select a character. I select their portrait.

I see the images of bags that represent file folders. The files are:
AD&D 2E PHB Portraits
FantasyPortraits
FG Animals
FG Fantasy
FG Modern
FG SCI-FI
SmiteWorks

I click on the "folder" button on this Select Portrait window and it opens up this file window with the address of: D:\Games\Fantasy Grounds\portraits
All that is in here is:
FantasyPortraits.ppk
SmiteWorks.ppk

This is odd to me because FG SCI-FI, FG Modern, FG Fantasy, and FG Animals aren't in here. I have no idea where they would be. I tried searching for them in the C folder just in case they were installed there somehow but I can't find them even with a full search.

I put an image in the portraits folder and name it "test". I close the file explorer window. I click on the "Refresh Folder Assets" button. Nothing changes in any of the 'bag' files in the Select Portrait window. I hit the Folder button again and am back at D:\Games\Fantasy Grounds\portraits. The "test" portrait image is still there. The images I got were from this site:

https://www.moddb.com/games/baldurs-gate-ii/addons/ultimate-portrait-pack-baldurs-gate-i-ii

They're not zipped. They are extracted and are all in .jpg format that is no more than 40 or so kb in size each.

Can anyone help? Thank you.

Trenloe
July 29th, 2022, 14:50
Welcome to the FG forums!

I click on the "folder" button on this Select Portrait window and it opens up this file window with the address of: D:\Games\Fantasy Grounds\portraits
All that is in here is:
FantasyPortraits.ppk
SmiteWorks.ppk

This is odd to me because FG SCI-FI, FG Modern, FG Fantasy, and FG Animals aren't in here. I have no idea where they would be. I tried searching for them in the C folder just in case they were installed there somehow but I can't find them even with a full search.
Many FG products are encrypted in files in the vault directory, so you won't see them with a search.

I put an image in the portraits folder and name it "test". I close the file explorer window. I click on the "Refresh Folder Assets" button. Nothing changes in any of the 'bag' files in the Select Portrait window. I hit the Folder button again and am back at D:\Games\Fantasy Grounds\portraits. The "test" portrait image is still there. The images I got were from this site:

https://www.moddb.com/games/baldurs-gate-ii/addons/ultimate-portrait-pack-baldurs-gate-i-ii

They're not zipped. They are extracted and are all in .jpg format that is no more than 40 or so kb in size each.

I've done a test with files from the Ultimate_Portrait_Pack.zip downloaded from that site. All of the files in that ZIP file are bitmap (.bmp) files. These aren't supported by Fantasy Grounds, you'll need to convert them to JPG or PNG format, and just changing the extension won't do that, load up the files in a graphics app and save them in JPG or PNG format. Then, add them to your D:\Games\Fantasy Grounds\portraits directory and click the refresh button - portraits added to this directory should appear in the "Data" portrait bag once refreshed.

Refer to the composite image below - the top section shows a BMP file from the source you reference, plus that BMP file converted to JPG. When I click the refresh button in the portraits window a "Data" bag appears, when I open that bag I see portraits for valid files - only the JPG file is visible.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53782

Death Goblin
August 8th, 2022, 19:50
Thank you for the welcome!

You're right, they were all .bmp's... I don't know why I thought they were jpg's! Thank you so much. I tried it again avert converting them on some conversion websites I found using google and they worked!