PDA

View Full Version : 5e Shield & Reaction

Stv
July 27th, 2022, 18:24
Here's another one for you guy to break for me.
This extension should take care of some of the hassle of the Shield spell and reaction tracking.

Full description is in the Forge page https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/722/view

Cheers, Steve.

Bonkon
July 27th, 2022, 18:30
Good Day Stv :)
This looks amazing! I cannot wait to try it out as my players are getting hooked on the Shield spell. One has a few charges in a Ring of Spell storing. I image he will have to put the Shield spell as one of his memorized spells for this to kick in then burn a charge from the item, correct? :)

Stv
July 27th, 2022, 18:34
Hi Bonkon,
You imagine correctly. For the extension to notify the player, they need to have the shield spell, but ALSO have spell slots available. Although that could be an easy way to keep track of the rings uses ?

Cheers, Steve.

nephranka
July 27th, 2022, 19:14
This is way cool! Thank you!

nephranka
July 28th, 2022, 01:33
One thing I see is that when using BCEG/BCE and things like "Charmed; Incapacitated; DMGRT: all; SAVEA: WIS [SDC] (R)(M); (C)" triggers your reaction ext to check the reaction bubble. Any way to ignore that code? BCEG uses (R) to remove effects. Maybe change (R) to (Re)?

BlazingAzureCrow
July 28th, 2022, 01:46
One thing I see is that when using BCEG/BCE and things like "Charmed; Incapacitated; DMGRT: all; SAVEA: WIS [SDC] (R)(M); (C)" triggers your reaction ext to check the reaction bubble. Any way to ignore that code? BCEG uses (R) to remove effects. Maybe change (R) to (Re)?

I was going to say this. Currently, this would have an unfortunate conflict with BCE/BCEG. Even using (Re) instead would help the issue, wouldn't it?

Stv
July 28th, 2022, 07:51
Thanks for the info on the conflict guys.
I've uploaded a new build to fix this. The extension now uses (RCT) to check for reaction. Instructions on the Forge page also updated to reflect this change.

Cheers, Steve.

BushViper
July 28th, 2022, 10:17
I genuinely have no idea why tracking Reactions is not already part of the base client or, at the very least, a checkbox to track it manually like Bonus Actions.

Regardless, thank you. This is a very nice addition to my extension suite.

nephranka
July 28th, 2022, 10:38
Thanks for the info on the conflict guys.
I've uploaded a new build to fix this. The extension now uses (RCT) to check for reaction. Instructions on the Forge page also updated to reflect this change.

Cheers, Steve.

I will take it out for a spin. Thanks for the quick change!

Zacchaeus
July 28th, 2022, 12:22
I genuinely have no idea why tracking Reactions is not already part of the base client or, at the very least, a checkbox to track it manually like Bonus Actions.

Regardless, thank you. This is a very nice addition to my extension suite.

There is a checkbox for reaction tracking on the combat tracker for each PC.

TomtheBu
July 28th, 2022, 12:24
Hey Steve,

very nice extension. Sadly, it doesn´t work together with the official level up extension for 5E. When the level up extension is loaded, the shield notification is blocked.

Maybe there is a chance to make it compatible? Thanks in advance :)

Stv
July 28th, 2022, 12:40
Hi TomtheBu,
I don't own the level up extension so can't really do much about that unfortunately.
I only really support 5e as this is the rulesset I use.

Cheers, Steve.

TomtheBu
July 28th, 2022, 13:34
Hey Steve, I can understand that. Thanks for clearing this up :(

Stv
July 28th, 2022, 14:20
It's not to say it never will work with, just definately not right at the moment.

TomtheBu
July 28th, 2022, 15:51
Yeah hopefully agree with you :)

BushViper
July 28th, 2022, 21:44
There is a checkbox for reaction tracking on the combat tracker for each PC.

Yep, I brainfarted and transposed Reaction and Bonus.

To rephrase - I don't know why the FGU client has no checkbox to track bonus actions.

BlazingAzureCrow
July 28th, 2022, 22:05
Yep, I brainfarted and transposed Reaction and Bonus.

To rephrase - I don't know why the FGU client has no checkbox to track bonus actions.

I imagine it's the same reason normal actions, interactions, etc aren't tracked: reactions are a round-wide use and can be easy to forget after enough turns. Bonus actions are only on your turn and require you to remember whether you used them for much shorter periods of time.

RedmondStache
July 29th, 2022, 00:19
The shield prompts in the chat box don't trigger, even if an NPC attacks a player the old-fashioned way, when this extension is enabled alongside Xelab and Rob Twohy's "Fantasy Grounds Combat Automation" extension, available on DMsguild. Is that something that can be looked into?

Stv
July 29th, 2022, 17:08
I've messaged the author of Combat automation to see if we can sort something out.

Cheers, Steve.

jrowsey1
July 30th, 2022, 21:13
I believe there is a conflict with this extension and StealthTracker https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/165/view - The Shield/Crit messages don't generate with these two extensions loaded.

Also, if you use the Rob2e or 5E Automatic Effects spell codings, the extension doesn't automatically add the (RCT) effect to those codings of the Shield spell on the PCs Action Tab.

Stv
July 30th, 2022, 21:50
I can take a look at the stealthtracker and see if anything can be done. Automatic effects may be a different kettle of fish though, that's a very in-depth ext and the two exts may or may not be able to work nicely together.
Although, if the only problem is that the (RCT) tag is not getting attached then that can be done manually.

Cheers, Steve.

jrowsey1
July 30th, 2022, 23:22
Automatic Effects is just the Module for effects coding not the Equipped Effects extensions.

If you can just have the (RCT) tag added to the spells from those mods, that should be fine. The extension doesn’t work if the PC only has the Rob2e or AE Shield spell coding on their action tab, so I’m not sure if just adding the RCT effect fixes that or not.

Stv
July 30th, 2022, 23:33
Automatic Effects is just the Module for effects coding not the Equipped Effects extensions.

If you can just have the (RCT) tag added to the spells from those mods, that should be fine. The extension doesn’t work if the PC only has the Rob2e or AE Shield spell coding on their action tab, so I’m not sure if just adding the RCT effect fixes that or not.

If adding the (RCT) tag does keep things working, then unfortunately it would be down to the authors of those mods to add the tag into their extensions. Let me know if it is working, and I'll message the other authors to see if it is something they are willing to do.

Cheers, Steve.

nephranka
July 31st, 2022, 01:06
So far RCT works for me.

Stv
July 31st, 2022, 07:37
So far RCT works for me.

@nephranka That's good to know, I'm assuming that's with the equipped effects extension ? If it is, have you also tried removing and re-adding the spell/effect to see if the (RCT) is added ?

Cheers, Steve.

Stv
July 31st, 2022, 09:54
New build pushed. This should now work alongisde the Stealthtracker extension.

Cheers, Steve.

nephranka
July 31st, 2022, 12:18
@nephranka That's good to know, I'm assuming that's with the equipped effects extension ? If it is, have you also tried removing and re-adding the spell/effect to see if the (RCT) is added ?

Cheers, Steve.

I will yest it directly. I know shield and featherfall seemed to work. I reparsed them.

Stv
July 31st, 2022, 15:36
I will yest it directly. I know shield and featherfall seemed to work. I reparsed them.

Sweet, thanks for that.
Hopefully no further action is needed.

Cheers, Steve.

jrowsey1
July 31st, 2022, 19:17
TL;DR - Make sure your spell name is just "Shield" for this to work.

Just going to report my findings here for anyone else bumping into these issues.

For 5e Automatic Effects Shield spell coding - dropping the spell coding onto the action tab creates a "Shield" spell that works with out adding the "Shield ; (RCT)" effect. If you Reparse the Spell actions, it will add the "Shield ; (RCT)" effect but replace the custom coding provided by the module.

For Rob2e Shield Spell coding - dropping the spell coding onto the action tab creates a "Shield (R) (S)" spell that will not register the Chat Message for this extension. If you Reparse the spell coding, it will create a "Shield (R) (S) ; (RCT)" and remove the "AC:5" effect", but this still will not register with this extension to trigger the Chat message. If you manually create the effect of "Shield ; (RCT)" for the coding, it still will not trigger the extension. You'll have to remove the "(R) (S)" description in the spell name in order to get this extension to trigger. You don't need the "Shield ; (RCT)" effect for it to trigger, just the name of the Spell needs to be adjusted.

Lastly, I just made a new spell called "Shield" on the PCs Action Tab with no description or effects and the Extension triggered the Chat effect, but if it changed the name to "Shield (Wizard)", or anything else other than "Shield" the extension would not trigger.

Stv
July 31st, 2022, 19:34
Thanks for the info @jrowsey1.
I don't own either of those 2 extensions/modules so haven't been able to test with them.

Cheers, Steve.

Stv
August 7th, 2022, 18:46
Minor update to fix error with parseing for shield spell.

Bonkon
August 30th, 2022, 03:59
TL;DR - Make sure your spell name is just "Shield" for this to work.

Just going to report my findings here for anyone else bumping into these issues.

For 5e Automatic Effects Shield spell coding - dropping the spell coding onto the action tab creates a "Shield" spell that works with out adding the "Shield ; (RCT)" effect. If you Reparse the Spell actions, it will add the "Shield ; (RCT)" effect but replace the custom coding provided by the module.

For Rob2e Shield Spell coding - dropping the spell coding onto the action tab creates a "Shield (R) (S)" spell that will not register the Chat Message for this extension. If you Reparse the spell coding, it will create a "Shield (R) (S) ; (RCT)" and remove the "AC:5" effect", but this still will not register with this extension to trigger the Chat message. If you manually create the effect of "Shield ; (RCT)" for the coding, it still will not trigger the extension. You'll have to remove the "(R) (S)" description in the spell name in order to get this extension to trigger. You don't need the "Shield ; (RCT)" effect for it to trigger, just the name of the Spell needs to be adjusted.

Lastly, I just made a new spell called "Shield" on the PCs Action Tab with no description or effects and the Extension triggered the Chat effect, but if it changed the name to "Shield (Wizard)", or anything else other than "Shield" the extension would not trigger.

Good Day All :)
My players and I love this extension! I was going nuts because the Wizard in my group has Shield and it was not working for him but it was for the Sorcerer.. Well come to find out that not only does the spell name need to be Shield but the spell level header does as well! The Wizard made his char in the Char Wiz and it called his spell header "Spells (Level 1) (Wizard)".
After trying to figure this out for a couple weeks now it dawned on me to remove (Wizard) from the header and it worked!
Thank You JRowsey1 for pointing me in the right direction! :)

Stv
August 30th, 2022, 13:20
I'll probably have another pass over this extension at some point and see if I can improve the spell parsing a little
No promises tho :)

Cheers, Steve.

nephranka
August 30th, 2022, 13:59
I'll probably have another pass over this extension at some point and see if I can improve the spell parsing a little
No promises tho :)

Cheers, Steve.

rhagelstrom had a similar issue with his Arcane Ward. Thought that might be of some help, in case you were not aware.

Stv
August 30th, 2022, 19:10
Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at how Arcane Ward handles things.

Cheers, Steve.

Thakeria Jamison
September 4th, 2022, 16:23
I am having a bit of an issue with this extension and Tasha's Cauldron of Everything module when building a new character.

I am currently trying to build a Fighter and implementing a a Fighting Style (option) feature using the method as described by Stoehovve in his YouTube tutorial video 'Fantasy Grounds Unity - Tasha's Cauldron of Everything - Fighter Class - Optional Features'

Found here: https://youtu.be/pOoZeybcy-U

When trying to directly drop the feature(s) into the character's action tab a script error is generated:

[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/shield.lua"]:180: bad argument #1 to 'find' (string expected, got nil)

When the campaign is loaded without this extension, no error occurs.

Attached are images of the process and the log files of the session.

Thakeria Jamison
September 4th, 2022, 16:29
I am having a bit of an issue with this extension and Tasha's Cauldron of Everything module when building a new character.

I am currently trying to build a Fighter and implementing a a Fighting Style (option) feature using the method as described by Stoehovve in his YouTube tutorial video 'Fantasy Grounds Unity - Tasha's Cauldron of Everything - Fighter Class - Optional Features'

Found here: https://youtu.be/pOoZeybcy-U

When trying to directly drop the feature(s) into the character's action tab a script error is generated:

[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/shield.lua"]:180: bad argument #1 to 'find' (string expected, got nil)

When the campaign is loaded without this extension, no error occurs.

Attached are images of the process and the log files of the session.

Not sure why, but there is no link button to allow for simple log file upload. I was only able to post the images. I hope that is enough info.

Regards

Stv
September 4th, 2022, 17:08
I'll see if I can do anything about this this week (hopefully). I"ll have to bug my DM to help as I don't own Tashas.

Cheers, Steve.

Stv
September 7th, 2022, 19:03
Just pushed a new build to The Forge, which should address the issue found by @Thakeria Jamison.

Cheers, Steve.

jaharmi
September 11th, 2022, 15:54
I’m wondering if there’s any way this extension could help me (as DM) remember to use the “Parry” reaction on NPCs like the Bandit Lord and Bandit Captain. I see the extension description mentions that it doesn’t help with NPCs, but I figured I’d ask.

I’ve read about a number of other ways to handle “Parry” but I still feel like I’d end up forgetting to apply it when I could have.

Stv
September 11th, 2022, 20:50
Hi @jaharmi,
I've some fixes to existing extensions and a couple of other projects I'm working on atm, but after that I'll probably take another pass over this one and see if I can add that kind of thing in for the DM's side of things.
As ever, I promise nothing :D

Cheers, Steve.

jaharmi
September 14th, 2022, 22:48
That’s cool, thanks.

I had another monster with Parry after I posted. I don’t think I remembered to use it once! :(

Stv
September 17th, 2022, 08:25
Just pushed a fix for the below issue.
The ext should now detect the 'Shield' spell if it is under any header that contains the word 'spells' i.e. Spells(Wizard).
Let me know if it doesn't :)

Cheers, Steve.

Good Day All :)
My players and I love this extension! I was going nuts because the Wizard in my group has Shield and it was not working for him but it was for the Sorcerer.. Well come to find out that not only does the spell name need to be Shield but the spell level header does as well! The Wizard made his char in the Char Wiz and it called his spell header "Spells (Level 1) (Wizard)".
After trying to figure this out for a couple weeks now it dawned on me to remove (Wizard) from the header and it worked!
Thank You JRowsey1 for pointing me in the right direction! :)

Stv
September 18th, 2022, 15:58
I also believe this is working alongside the 'Combat Automation' extension too, although the automation carries on even if you can shield (don't think I can do anything about that).
You could always make use of my undo extension if the target does sheild though :)

If someone else could let me know if these 2 extension are actually working nicely together that would be appreciated.

Cheers, Steve.

MrDDT
December 7th, 2022, 20:43
Thanks Stv for all your hard work.

MrDDT
December 7th, 2022, 23:59
So just started testing this and noticed that it only displays the shield option in chat to the PC if the attacker would miss if shield is used. Is this correct?
If so, I would like an option to turn this setting off, as part of the point I would like is to hide this fact from the player and they choose to use shield whether or not they would know if it would work.

I'm really new with this ext, so if this is hard to do, or not how this ext works let me know. I will double check. Thank you so much again Stv for your hard work.

Stv
December 8th, 2022, 12:55
When I've finished my current 'project', I''ll probably be having another pass over this one to add a bit more functionality.
At the moment @ MrDDT you are correct, it only shows the shield notification if the player has a reaction AND the shield would prevent the attack from landing.

Cheers, Steve.

nephranka
February 6th, 2023, 14:10
My players love this ext. The reminder has helped them a lot. They asked me if you have ever thought about coding a reminder for absorb elements or uncanny dodge? Passing it along.

Stv
February 6th, 2023, 15:27
Funnily enough, this ext is getting mothballed in the near future as I have a new one coming soon that deals with most of the reactions.

Cheers, Steve.

nephranka
February 6th, 2023, 16:08
Funnily enough, this ext is getting mothballed in the near future as I have a new one coming soon that deals with most of the reactions.

Cheers, Steve.

Sweet! Looking forward to it.

Stv
June 17th, 2023, 18:15
This extension has now been delisted on The Forge. Please use this (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/1137/view) extension instead.

Thanks, Steve.