PDA

View Full Version : Character Sheet Questions (Skills Tab)

edfig
November 3rd, 2007, 00:22
Man, what's with the documentation?!?!? It's a bummer I have to tinker so much....

Anyway, a few questions:

1) I assume the little check boxes are used to determine "Class Skills" which would ultimately determine the cost per rank....

2) I can't adjust the skills.... I have applied "Available Rank" points to spend... When I click into the RANK box for a given skill and mousewheel... I see it chnage the "Total" but not the RANK?!?

3) How are the "Direct Adjustment" and "Planned Increment" supposed to be used?

4) Why isn't any of this documented in the instructions? I assume there's some story behind this....

Griogre
November 3rd, 2007, 00:51
Anyway, a few questions:

1) I assume the little check boxes are used to determine "Class Skills" which would ultimately determine the cost per rank....
Correct unchecked skills cost as cross class skills

2) I can't adjust the skills.... I have applied "Available Rank" points to spend... When I click into the RANK box for a given skill and mousewheel... I see it chnage the "Total" but not the RANK?!?
3) How are the "Direct Adjustment" and "Planned Increment" supposed to be used?
One of the biggest problems of FG1 was the ability to totally mess up a character sheet by rolling the mouse wheel in the wrong place - particularly skills and spellbooks. The way adding skills is suppose to work is by raising your level and then change the available to the number of skills available for that class. Make sure you check on the class being raised and make sure that class skills are checked. Once you do that roll the mouse wheel up in the ranks colume. You should see the rank turn red and Planned Ranks next to Available Ranks count up. Once your planned ranks are equal to the available ranks a check should appear at the bottom. Click it and your are done. If you right click on the skill page you can also change from Planned to Direct Adjustment which will allow you to change the ranks freely. You can also lock and unlock individual skills to change them though it is tedious.

4) Why isn't any of this documented in the instructions? I assume there's some story behind this.... I don't know, I think it was a last minute add to FG2, maybe.

edfig
November 3rd, 2007, 20:17
Thanks for the help... Now I understand the method behind the madness.

You can also lock and unlock individual skills to change them though it is tedious.

I'm thinking in all my clicking I might have locked the skills or soemthing... i can see the skills scroll up as described in your previous post when I mouse wheel....but it is not accepting my adjustment.

how do you UNLOCK the?

Griogre
November 3rd, 2007, 21:20
The skills are locked by default. So locked is the normal state which is the planned which uses the adjustment box at the bottom. It actually sounds like you have unlocked the entire skills tab - which disables the adjustment (planned) skill use.

If you want to get the planned adjustment to work then right click anywhere where there is not a skill (like the bottom right under Use Rope) in the top pane and select Planned Increment (closed lock) at four o'clock. If instead you see an open lock icon at four o'clock called Direct Ajustment you are actually in planned increment already.

Note you can't raise skills higher than level maxes for class and cross class skills - this is why it is vital you raise you character level first before you do skills.

Post back if you are still having problems. This actually was one of the things that confused my players the most when we switched to FG2 from FG1.

edfig
November 3rd, 2007, 21:37
Yep... I seem to have this working as intended... thanks a bunch.

Dachannien
November 3rd, 2007, 22:10
Actually, one piece of info missing here is that if you click on a skill box and use the scroll wheel, the skill ranks will change but the value won't be displayed until you click elsewhere.

You can also modify the skills by simply mousing over the skill ranks box without clicking before you use the mouse wheel, but you'll be able to see the skill ranks value change while you're using the mouse wheel.